PDA

View Full Version : Dead is Dead option

arrowtalon
02-27-2007, 01:38 PM
After playing through many of the stock campaigns, I find that what is lacking is a sense of story to the game. The pilot bios are dry. The interface, though simple and elegant, is a bit bland.

One way to improve this, I believe would be to add in character-style radio chatter and above all, a Dead-is-Dead option. If you go down and die, that's it. Start the cmapaign over.

That way you'd really have to work at keeping your 100-kill pilot alive. It would add a bit of the "fear of dying" that combat pilots talk about.

WB_Outlaw
02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Can't you just delete the campaign and start a new one if you want to play "dead is dead"? That's much easier than changing any code and is totally optional.

--Outlaw.

arrowtalon
02-27-2007, 05:14 PM
I know what you mean... but there's something final about having it built into the game...

It can't be that hard to code. After all it's already in the Co-Op campaigns.

joeap
02-28-2007, 03:41 AM
I always do that with dynamic campaigns. Difficult with static, but I change pilot skin if my pilot dies and consider the score to be part of the squadron score.

igitur70
02-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Such an option would make sense in an efficient AI environment : realistic behaviour for every AI pilot, tactical orders available, average risk rate close to RL following the mission,.. Surely in Bob. The Dead-is-dead option then would maximize the feeling of immersion (along with several other options requested : RRR, start engine procedures, first/third person perspective, etc..).
Advantages : offline, you would feel concerned for your teammates as much as for yourself, you'd fly much more carefully, like in RL, trying to gain any tactical advantage before engaging the enemy.
Online : a well-structured, large scale online campaign in a D-i-D mode would be an interesting thing : you should first survive the missions if you want to keep your rank and your score. After enrolling the campaign, you start as a recruit, you automatically get a name, an assignment following the state of the battle, and you try to perform your missions. If you survive, you gain your stripes and can become a team leader. As a leader, you define the best tactical way to achieve any strategical objective. But if you die, you must restart as an other recruit, with another name. The best leaders could be elected as generals by the community. As a general, you may enter the HQ secret room (on this forum ?) and discuss the best strategical objectives, following the situation. You could end up as Churchill himself, if you like his silhouette. A diary could be read on this forum, informing of the state of the frontline, and you could view the tracks posted by other squads, and admire other's exploits.
Maybe not impossible, since we'll have one single huge map in Bob. It would be great to be able to coordinate many different missions for many different online squads based in different places. An online campaign could be planned for months, and an AI pilot would take your place if you're not always available. And once again, an efficient AI is requested here.

cawimmer430
03-01-2007, 02:53 AM
I once survived a Rufe caimpaign against much better aircraft like Corsairs and Wildcats (God bless the Rufe's maneuvrability and slow speed handling) until we got the Ki-84la. Then I was blasted out of the sky and died, Z&B. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Funny how I survived in the bad airplane, and got killed in the good one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif