PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thing happened yesterday...

Stigler_9_JG52
06-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Usually, when I boot up IL-2, the screen comes up several shades too dark for my liking, and I've gotten into the habit of using the Windows key to go back to the desktop while a server loads; that usually restores a nice picture for me.

Well, yesterday, it didn't work right: I'd pop out to the desktop and could see the monitor get lighter as usual, but when I returned to the IL-2 window, it was extra dark and saturated again. I did this several times and then just decided to *sigh* live with it for a session.

Although my control panel was way too dark and harder to read, I got a benefit from it: dots were easier to see. They looked like little "bubbles" than the familiar "light grey pencil specks". And, in a low-icon environment, I was better able to see and fight.

So, now I have a dilemma: do I continute to fly with these "dark" settings and better dot visibility, or do I continue to lobby for "the best of both worlds": dots you can make out and overall graphics that are not so saturated that you can't enjoy all the detail in the 'pits??

RxMan
06-24-2005, 08:52 AM
It has been stated many times, 'toggeling between the game and desktop is not supported and may/will cause graphical problems'. Change your monitor settings before starting the game.

Stigler_9_JG52
06-24-2005, 09:27 AM
I don't ASK for it to happen, it darkens on its own, and it's the only program that does this. I'm not going to set my monitor up to screw up every other program's display just for this sim.

Anyway, that wasn't my question.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:
...do I continute to fly with these "dark" settings and better dot visibility

NO

... or do I continue to lobby for "the best of both worlds": dots you can make out and overall graphics that are not so saturated that you can't enjoy all the detail in the 'pits??

YES

TB

TX-EcoDragon
06-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Sounds like you have a color/gamma profile associated with IL-2/FB (or 3D renders in general) this is probably a driver level issue, and one that I've never heard of before. But who knows.

Chadburn
06-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:
Usually, when I boot up IL-2, the screen comes up several shades too dark for my liking, and I've gotten into the habit of using the Windows key to go back to the desktop while a server loads; that usually restores a nice picture for me.

Well, yesterday, it didn't work right: I'd pop out to the desktop and could see the monitor get lighter as usual, but when I returned to the IL-2 window, it was extra dark and saturated again. I did this several times and then just decided to *sigh* live with it for a session.

Although my control panel was way too dark and harder to read, I got a benefit from it: dots were easier to see. They looked like little "bubbles" than the familiar "light grey pencil specks". And, in a low-icon environment, I was better able to see and fight.

So, now I have a dilemma: do I continute to fly with these "dark" settings and better dot visibility, or do I continue to lobby for "the best of both worlds": dots you can make out and overall graphics that are not so saturated that you can't enjoy all the detail in the 'pits??

Stig..if you're running an ATI card, then use ATI Tool. You can set hot keys to adjust the gamma lighter or darker even after the game starts without having to tab out. I've found it useful when flying a day mission followed by a night mission, and especially since the ambient light in my computer room is a problem during the daytime.