PDA

View Full Version : Why UBISoft wont get my money

VampireFrost
03-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Me personally I hate being treated like a thief.
I spend good money for games and am even before I install the game am treated like a thief.
DRM is ok to a point but come on if your going to put it on a game spell it out on the package so the consumer can make an informed decision about it. The having a constant net connection was the killer for me.
If you live in an area that loses their net allot like a few of my friends do or if your like me and like to put it on a laptop and take it outside and play then your just SOL.

I wonder how many actual sales they lost over perceived losses to pirates?
The only person that DRM hurts is their paying customers. A pirate is not going to buy the game for what ever reason, so why punish the customers that put the meat and potato's on your table?

I think that some of it is that a company has a great game (so they think) and if it does not sell well then they blame it on the bad old pirates. When in fact it could be any number of things like, wrong price point, buggy game, bad promotion, etc....
I can make a pong game and say oh this should sell 10,000 units and then when it does not blame people pirating the game because I only sold 2 copies.

Wasn't the Ford Etsel like that. Ford spent all this money designing what they thought was the perfect car but it in the end was a bomb. Ummmm wonder if it was pirates that caused low sales of that too?
Sound to me to many software companies are counting their chickens before they hatch and when they don't get what they thought then blame on bad old pirates.

Pirates are the boogie man hiding in the closet for most software companies but if they turned on the lights they will see there not really there and as bad as they think. Most people I know that pirate games end up buying them and the expansion packs as well, maybe not for $60 but something is better then nothing in the end.

As I am writing this AC2 has just over 70 one star's (on Amazon.com) so if we figure that at lease another 30 would had bought but didn't bother rating the game thats 100 people and if the game averages out to $50 per (I know now its more but the ones that pre-ordered got it for less), thats $5,000 in sales lost just because of the big bad boogie man and they felt they needed to put DRM in the game. So a loss of $5,000 (plus all the money they had to pay programmers for the DRM) just to stop a few people that wouldn't had bought the game anyways. Does not seem like a smart business decision to me. But hey what do I know I am just the customer UBISoft is trying to sell their product to.

That also does not count the countless people calling or emailing a company because the DRM they put in the game does not let the game load or causes errors or other side effects.

VampireFrost
03-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Me personally I hate being treated like a thief.
I spend good money for games and am even before I install the game am treated like a thief.
DRM is ok to a point but come on if your going to put it on a game spell it out on the package so the consumer can make an informed decision about it. The having a constant net connection was the killer for me.
If you live in an area that loses their net allot like a few of my friends do or if your like me and like to put it on a laptop and take it outside and play then your just SOL.

I wonder how many actual sales they lost over perceived losses to pirates?
The only person that DRM hurts is their paying customers. A pirate is not going to buy the game for what ever reason, so why punish the customers that put the meat and potato's on your table?

I think that some of it is that a company has a great game (so they think) and if it does not sell well then they blame it on the bad old pirates. When in fact it could be any number of things like, wrong price point, buggy game, bad promotion, etc....
I can make a pong game and say oh this should sell 10,000 units and then when it does not blame people pirating the game because I only sold 2 copies.

Wasn't the Ford Etsel like that. Ford spent all this money designing what they thought was the perfect car but it in the end was a bomb. Ummmm wonder if it was pirates that caused low sales of that too?
Sound to me to many software companies are counting their chickens before they hatch and when they don't get what they thought then blame on bad old pirates.

Pirates are the boogie man hiding in the closet for most software companies but if they turned on the lights they will see there not really there and as bad as they think. Most people I know that pirate games end up buying them and the expansion packs as well, maybe not for $60 but something is better then nothing in the end.

As I am writing this AC2 has just over 70 one star's (on Amazon.com) so if we figure that at lease another 30 would had bought but didn't bother rating the game thats 100 people and if the game averages out to $50 per (I know now its more but the ones that pre-ordered got it for less), thats $5,000 in sales lost just because of the big bad boogie man and they felt they needed to put DRM in the game. So a loss of $5,000 (plus all the money they had to pay programmers for the DRM) just to stop a few people that wouldn't had bought the game anyways. Does not seem like a smart business decision to me. But hey what do I know I am just the customer UBISoft is trying to sell their product to.

That also does not count the countless people calling or emailing a company because the DRM they put in the game does not let the game load or causes errors or other side effects.

Gekkibi
03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VampireFrost:
A pirate is not going to buy the game for what ever reason, so why punish the customers that put the meat and potato's on your table?
...thats $5,000 in sales lost just because of the big bad boogie man and they felt they needed to put DRM in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1st, I am a pirate (Member and supporter of Pirate Party, and also against this kind of DRM). I still bought the game because I like Assassin's Creed games. There is a difference between "a pirate" and "hey, I download everything from the Internet just because it is free".
2nd, do you have any idea what does multi million dollar company think about 5000 USD? As much as you do when you lose one penny.
3rd, there is also a thread about how bad idea this DRM was: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1069024/m/1801042338 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/1801042338)

VampireFrost
03-18-2010, 12:56 PM
That $5,000 adds up fast.
There was a story I read once that for every 1 person that complaints there are 5 that don't and just don't buy the product.

I own a PS3 and XBox 360 and in most cases end up buying a copy for PC and my PS3 or XBox. So UBISoft lost $120 just on me. And how many more people are just like me that buy for PC and a console?

Gekkibi
03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Actually, it is every 11. It is a "rule of 3/11". If you have something good to tell you will tell it to three different people. If you have something bad to tell you will tell it to eleven different people. Rule of thumb in marketing (Ya, studied it in the university long in the past).

VampireFrost
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gekkibi:
Actually, it is every 11. It is a "rule of 3/11". If you have something good to tell you will tell it to three different people. If you have something bad to tell you will tell it to eleven different people. Rule of thumb in marketing (Ya, studied it in the university long in the past). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That might be true it was a long time and wasn't 100% sure of the numbers. But oh well it in the end does not matter UBISoft has lost their sales to me on PC and console's.

I buy at lease 1 to 2 games a month.

BTOG46
03-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Please use one of the existing DRM threads.