PDA

View Full Version : Help/ Information: P-47

ROTS_Jason
08-16-2005, 02:43 AM
Hey guys, would all you Thunderbolt lovers out there post some tips and hints on how you stay alive out there? Maybe weapon convergence settings? General flying tips on the P-47 would also be helpfull.

Any links if any would be nice as well.
Thank you all.
Cheers.

Cajun76
08-16-2005, 03:53 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7611070103/r/7611070103#7611070103

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/42810634/p/1

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/48310094/r/48310094#48310094

Sift through, and find the fans of the P-47, the folks who don't like it are generally ignorant of it's capabilities and limitations.

Speed and keeping it is the number one advice I can give you when dealing with almost any situation.

Forgive me, for I'm not feeling that well, otherwise I would post more on what little knowledge I have. Good luck and,

Cajun76
08-16-2005, 03:55 AM
"Tactics" on the right and "Guides" should also provide some general info. My sig also links to the main site.

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2/il2_main.htm

Some of the tips for Fw-190's also translate somewhat, mostly the A series.

ROTS_Jason
08-16-2005, 04:09 AM
Thank you very much my friend. I hope you are feeling better soon.

I love the Jug but I simply can't do well online. I am not giving up and am sure it's just a matter of practice. My gunnery is not the best so instead of bnz I get frustrated and tnb... obviously this will not do and I have only myself to blame lol.

Maybe when you are feeling better you can give me more tips. Or anyone else who has any for the Jug please reply!

Thank you all.

ROTS_Jason
08-16-2005, 04:24 AM
I just had a chance to go over some of those links. Splendid! I tried to search for this information before i posted but to no avail. These links have helped me big time. So much was said that I can't imagine you being able to add much. But if you, or anyone else can please do!

Thanks yet again.

F19_Ob
08-16-2005, 04:47 AM
A tip for escape from 109's or 190's wich may come handy:

Normally escaping these planes is not that easy but If u don't let your speed down U can drag them with U and prolong the chase with some smart insights.

If they end up chasing U, run away in a shallow dive with one wing pointing upwards.
This way U can push the stick forward or pull to change direction slightly to evade their spraying on U.
Altering directions the normal way takes too much energy and the enemy more easily anticipates and counters your moves since they do everything better.

By going in a continuos dive this way U may keep the distance for enough time for it to become dangerous for the enemy since he must keep his eyes on U for a long time (hopefully).

Starting to turn to evade shots at medium or longer distances only allows the enemy a better position and closer.
Hard turns are ok at very close range to achieve enough separation for a similar dive away and do it all over again.

As soon as a friendly intervenes and starts shooting on the enemy U continue until the enemy breaks.
Then U start positioning to help your friendly preparing for secondary shots.
-----------------------------------

Sometimes when flying with teammates it may be a part of the tactic to turn with the better enemy to keep him occupied and/or keen to get u, for enough time until a teammate can shoot at him.
This is risky but with experience and coordination it can work well.

There are times to pull hard in an engagenment with a better plane but usually the understanding of such situations comes with experience and increasing situational awareness.
Unexperienced single p47 or p51 pilots usually lose these close combat situations, especially against the 109.
Sometimes the fw190 can be overtaken (surprized) by hard turning but if the fw190 is behind it's cannons have a tendency to hit but it's up to the pilot to judge the situation.
Just keep in mind that the 109 is the most dangerous of the two german fighters but don't underestimate the fw190.

a few thoughts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Diablo310th
08-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Jason.....speed and altitude are the most important things right now. Keep your speed above 250 mph if at all possible and stay above 15,000 ft. If you have to come down to attack or help a buddy then don't make more than one 90 deg. turn and extend after using a shallow climb to regain altitude. The Jug flies well if you keep her fast which isn't always easy to do. One thing I have found to help when being followed close by either a 109 or 190 is to dive hard then when they get close pull up hard into a zoom climb. It seems they black out faster than the Jug.

VW-IceFire
08-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Basic pointers: Fly with a team, always have altitude advantage, don't dogfight, etc.

I really like the P-47 and I used to be pretty good in it...not so much right now but I'm relearning.

Diablo310th
08-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Basic pointers: Fly with a team, always have altitude advantage, don't dogfight, etc.

I really like the P-47 and I used to be pretty good in it...not so much right now but I'm relearning.

With every patch it's a relearning phase with the Jug. You never know if it's been patched for teh better or worse.

StellarRat
08-16-2005, 01:08 PM
I have a few simple rules that keep me alive in the 47 and get me kills occasionally.

1. Don't dogfight. One pass maybe with a turn of up to 45 degrees and then I go up again. If I miss I come back again once I have the speed and altitude back. Boring yes, but it keeps me from getting shotdown.

2. Don't attack unless you are going faster than 500 kph, either from diving or from building up your speed in the horizontal.

3. Keep your speed above 350 kph TAS at all times! This is super important in the 47. If you have to choose between climbing or staying above 350 choose speed first. It keeps enemy AC from catching you quickly and surprising you and if someone does show up it gives you time and manueverability.

4. Always use a gentle hand on the stick. You don't need to blow off speed by turning quickly in a well thought out B and Z.

5. Stay above 4000 meters unless diving to attack. If you dive in make sure to go back up again ASAP.

6. When things are looking bad dive away towards friendly lines or a group of friendly AC. Don't fool around trying to dogfight or climb away unless you are above 5000m (in the 47.) The max. dive speed of a 47 is fast enough to outrun any other prop plane.

7. Whenever possible fly with other friendlies.

8. Use comms.

I should point out that these rules will also help you to survive in any aircraft. You would be surprised at how well many "TnB" aircraft also are excellent "BnZ" AC. One that comes to mind is the Spitfire.

danjama
08-16-2005, 01:24 PM
I wish i could help but when i fly the 47 i end up spending to much time admiring it instead of looking for enemy, the planes just so **** beautiful http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

F19_Ob
08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
U might have noticed some increased swaying from side to side when using rudder?
It can be countered a bit by increasing filtering in the ingame sticksettings wich slows the movement somewhat.
It's anyway posted in orr so it might get dampened in next patch

ROTS_Jason
08-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think it's gonna help a lot! (Going to go try it out after I post this.)

Got another question though: In some of the older links and such I read a lot about how it has a very poor roll rate and a few other complaints. They also say they hope to have it fixed in the next patch. I am guessing its 4.01 they are talking about.

So for those who know, what has been fixed/ adjusted (for better or worse) and what is still off that I need to look out for?
Thanks again all.

danjama
08-16-2005, 05:01 PM
uh oh! i dont like where this is going. Heads down everyone its about to get hot in here! lol i dont think theres anything wrong with it, maybe the elevators are a little too sensitive, i.e. it takes about an hour to do a loop so its impossible to get round on your opponent, that is unless u turn in which case u either spin to ur death or lose loads of speed gettin nowhere. Still, learn how to handle her and shes a dream. I havent been bothered by the rudder swaying, so... i suggest settin it up in QMB and flyin it for a while against 109s and 190s

StellarRat
08-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Most of the complaints were fixed about two or three patches ago. I think the only possible problem now is the .50s arguments that seem to be going on, but of course that applies to all US fighters.

VW-IceFire
08-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ROTS_Jason:
Thanks for the info guys. I think it's gonna help a lot! (Going to go try it out after I post this.)

Got another question though: In some of the older links and such I read a lot about how it has a very poor roll rate and a few other complaints. They also say they hope to have it fixed in the next patch. I am guessing its 4.01 they are talking about.

So for those who know, what has been fixed/ adjusted (for better or worse) and what is still off that I need to look out for?
Thanks again all.
Those problems were sorted out many patches ago. As far as roll rate is concerned, the P-47 now performs very accurately compared to official test charts that I've seen. Best roll rate is around 250mph with a drop in roll performance on either side...this is consistent with the game.

It used to roll very slowly...while most other planes had instant snap rolls. The 4.01 patch, in this regard, puts a huge bonus in the P-47s pocket over previous patches as the disparity between roll rates was much larger. No instant snap rolls http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ROTS_Jason
08-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Great, thanks for the replies. I didn't mean for it to turn into a this is how it SHOULD perform topic, rather how it DOES NOW compared to what people were talking about in previous patches.

It seems to have been explained very well. Thank you all once again.

F19_Ob
08-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Kicking rudder in same direction while u roll makes it respond faster.
Often used to increase roll momentarily in emergencies.