PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed Piracy Countermeasure

hologram101
03-16-2010, 07:20 PM
In the wake of this rather frustrating experience it occured to me, that the issue with this DRM is as much the fault of "pirates" as it is Ubisoft.

Sure, Ubisoft didn't really plan for this kind of backlash from their paying customers for having a security feature to stop piracy, but how could they anticipate pirates attempting to drop bombs in the form of dumping information requests on the servers to such a degree that they stall?

It's not as bad as it sounds though. Ubisoft are gaining an advantage waiting while people continue to bombard their servers.

It's only a matter of time before the proxy connections and spoofed IP addresses that are bombarding the system begin to paint a clearer picture of who'se attacking the network. This is an opportunity for Ubisoft to stand up and say NO. It's not going to be easy and they may very well have a TON of apologizing to do to recover from this monumental screw up, but they're rolling with the punches and trying to preserve the integrity of the system that they've put into place to ensure that they don't lose this game to piracy.

Even keeping pirates at bay for a short while is winning them profits in the interim. There are as many people that will continue to play Ubisoft games as there are that profess they'll never buy from Ubisoft again.

I discovered today why the DRM works. I understand it's pitfalls and I believe the only way for Ubisoft to get around it's failing is to require periodic checks online in the form of level packs with progressive DLC that actually builds onto the story instead of supplementing it.

The only way to justify that kind of a massive system is to increase the size of the game, which can work two fold. Consumers are more likely to purchase a game if it is both compelling and not worth downloading.

-So, distribute the game on blue-ray for the PC and bloat the content into a full 20 gigs.

-Distribute the content check online periodically such that it unlocks and patches sections of the game already on the CD that are encrypted using 128bit encryption.

It is already obvious that the online connection required to play the game isn't just a checking and balancing system. It's actively leaking data to progress the plot forward with it's "non-intrusive" functionality. Yeah, my virus scanner detected the operation.

I did cancel my pre-order of conviction. I'm sure that Assassins Creed 2 is just a test bed for what's to come.

Nothing short of criminal prosecution of pirates for this failure to respond to these hacking attempts will earn my business back.

Do something Ubisoft.
No more talk.
No more apologies.

caswallawn_2k7
03-16-2010, 07:26 PM
-So, distribute the game on blue-ray for the PC and bloat the content into a full 20 gigs.
not many PC's have bluray and most movies and PS3 games are actualy 50gig blu-ray discs much larger is actually possible.

NightmareGK13
03-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
[QUOTE]-So, distribute the game on blue-ray for the PC and bloat the content into a full 20 gigs.

I'd have a to buy just a new driver and hdd for that
add that to the cost of the game and people would rather buy a ps3 and the game