PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Congrats on Bf 109

raisen
02-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Whilst in Barcelona on holiday, I stumbled into an old book market in Barcelona, Spain. There's a nice guy there, regular at the market, that runs a military book stall, he sells mostly books in english. Whilst there, I picked up a book called "Black 6" by Russ Snadden.
The book is a great reference about the accurate, painstakingly so, restoration of a Bf 109 G2/trop to flying condition. Plane unfortunately was grounded again following an accident in '97 BTW.
The cockpits in the Bf 109's in IL2 give a great feeling of the original aircraft, the panels look spot on, when compared with the photo's. A real favourite.
Finally, if anyone reading this is in Barcelona check out that market stall, he is a regular. I think it's between El Raval and L'Eixample. An english reading spanish reader may be able to give the name of the market concerned, but I'm ashamed to say the name of the market eludes me. It is one of the old traditional Markets in the city.

Raisen

raisen
02-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Whilst in Barcelona on holiday, I stumbled into an old book market in Barcelona, Spain. There's a nice guy there, regular at the market, that runs a military book stall, he sells mostly books in english. Whilst there, I picked up a book called "Black 6" by Russ Snadden.
The book is a great reference about the accurate, painstakingly so, restoration of a Bf 109 G2/trop to flying condition. Plane unfortunately was grounded again following an accident in '97 BTW.
The cockpits in the Bf 109's in IL2 give a great feeling of the original aircraft, the panels look spot on, when compared with the photo's. A real favourite.
Finally, if anyone reading this is in Barcelona check out that market stall, he is a regular. I think it's between El Raval and L'Eixample. An english reading spanish reader may be able to give the name of the market concerned, but I'm ashamed to say the name of the market eludes me. It is one of the old traditional Markets in the city.

Raisen

raisen
02-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Sry.... I think I just dropped this in the wrong forum.

Raisen

horseback
02-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Raisen-try to get Dux Corvan's attention-he's a Spaniard, and a regular on these boards. He's probably a little more familiar with Barcelona than you or I.

cheers

horseback

Platypus_1.JaVA
02-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Never been to Spain, I live in Holland. But, since all the Dutch people over 70 seem to migrate over there, we should have our own Colony in Spain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bump!

DuxCorvan
02-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Maybe the Mercado de San Antonio market? I'm not too familiar with Barcelona, but it's rather near the Rambla of El Raval, and if I were looking for good 2nd hand books, it's the place I'd go. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
Never been to Spain, I live in Holland. But, since all the Dutch people over 70 seem to migrate over there, we should have our own Colony in Spain <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that, as far as their granddaughters come with them... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

raisen
02-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Thanks Corvan, that is indeed the market.

Raisen

reverendkrv1972
02-22-2005, 12:57 PM
I remember standing behind Black 6 when the pilot ran her engine up prior to a display at Duxford,very impressive plane,shame she failed a landing back in '97,and ended up on her 'roof' in the field the other side of the motorway...
she's now a display piece at an airbase iirc.

ianboys
02-22-2005, 01:24 PM
She is at RAF Hendon in the new hall. I did a walk-around taking photos of all the markings/stencils the other day (also the Cr42). Can anyone host these on a site for others to see?

raisen
02-22-2005, 05:41 PM
There is footage available on the web, of black six flipping, at the conclusion her flying career. URL's will follow when I find 'em.

Raisen

Badsight.
02-22-2005, 09:37 PM
the pilot decided to work with the Manuel Pitch controls during this flight & cooked the Daimler Benz motor & he had to do a forced landing , overshot the runway & went into a feild & flipped the Bf109 G2 onto its roof in a cloud of dirt & dust

Ugly_Kid
02-22-2005, 10:23 PM
A similar book exists of the restauration of the Messerschmitt Stiftung's G-6. It's an interesting book about the the stuff and gives an extraordinary picture about the labour behind all this. For example, they found spinner that was serving as a bird nest somewhere in Germany. They found airintake cowling (you know the big one on the left side of the engine) near Stuttgart where it has been covering an air channel to a cattle shed and so on...spark plugs were partly exchanged from finnish museum.

At fiftieth start or something the plane got out of control and rolled to a tractor parked behind the airfield fence - they could start again.

flyingscampi
02-24-2005, 10:36 AM
I had a good look at Black 6 at Hendon recently.

Here is an account of it's capture:

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/km109.htm

There is a picture about half way down the photos page of it's capture:

http://www.3squadron.org.au/indexpages/pics.htm

I copied the following text from this site:

http://www.yeowell19.freeserve.co.uk/109surv.htm

Originally going to be an F-3, but an early stage of construction, changed to G-2 and built by Erla Maschinenwerke GmbH. It was in service with 8./JG 77 and flown by Lt. Heinz Ludemann in 1942. It was captured at Gambut-Main by the RAAF, being rebuilt for testing and flown. It was eventually brought over to to the UK to RAF Collyweston, for evaluation, it was flown with a Hawker Tempest V of the RAF and was given serial no. RN228, the aircraft then travelled as a static exhibit around various UK Aerodromes, such as Tangmere, Sealand, Stanmore Park, Wroughton, Fulbeck, Wattisham, Henlow and Lyneham. At some time it loaned its cockpit to E-3 WNr. 4101 during evaluation. After this it eventually arrived at RAF Northolt where it was decided to rebuild it to airworthyness, nothing really happened though and it next went to RAF Benson, Oxfordshire, where restoration eventually commenced, at this time it was also given ground instructional no. 8478M. Eventually on 26/10/90 as G-USTV on the British Civil register, it flew for the first time since the War and in fact became the only genuine Luftwaffe fighter aircraft flying in the world. It was transferred to Duxford at some stage, flying on the airshow circuit and also for film work. Its last TV film appearance was for the film 'Land Girls' for BBC TV. Sadly in 1997 it suffered a very bad landing accident and it was so severely damaged that it can only be restored to static condition, although there are rumours it could eventually fly again, but less than 95% original. It's a sad shame.

fox402
02-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi Flyingscampi
I notice from your signiture pic that you have been to Elvington Air museum in Yorkshire.
Thats my local museum http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I go as often as possible and the Halifax is worth the time on its own.

raisen
02-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Outside of Britain, I recommend the Naval Aviation Museum over at Pensacola, Florida, USA.
They have a bunch of guys working there as guides that flew with the kind of stuff Pacific Fighters is all about. They love to talk too.

Raisen

kSetuni
02-24-2005, 07:28 PM
A couyple buddies of mine are planning a trip down to the museum in pensacola. We are very spoiled by having the large air force museum only an hour away at Dayton Ohio. wonderful place there too but really need 2 full days to see everything fully and not rushed. we did it in one and missed so much and most wer equick glipses because of the shear numbers of aircraft thye have there.