PDA

View Full Version : O.K., Who has sailed to Japan yet?



Charlie901
03-26-2005, 12:22 PM
and how long did it take? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Also is the "Other side of the World" modeled, i.e. trees, ports, buildings.....?

I feel like Christopher Columbus on the verge of discovering a new world.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Charlie901
03-26-2005, 12:22 PM
and how long did it take? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Also is the "Other side of the World" modeled, i.e. trees, ports, buildings.....?

I feel like Christopher Columbus on the verge of discovering a new world.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Chuck_Older
03-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Japan's not on my map...

Scopehead
03-26-2005, 12:39 PM
yes japan is playable look on your map you have a base avai 1942 to 1945 and you can see japan if you zoom out in game map

ApolloFS
03-26-2005, 01:30 PM
What I found weird is that the Suez and Panama canals are filled with land-at least on the map-don't know if anyone has tried going over there...

Charlie901
03-26-2005, 01:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scopehead:
yes japan is playable look on your map you have a base avai 1942 to 1945 and you can see japan if you zoom out in game map <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


So who has become "Christopher Columbus" and sailed around the world?

Wolf52371
03-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Thats kind of like the entrance to scapa that was used to sink the royal oak, its all land now.

augie64
03-26-2005, 02:25 PM
actually Magellan was the first to circumnavigate the globe.... sorta =)

v2ducati
03-26-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm betting that the Canals aren't moddeled because of the system of locks used to transverse them, easier to leave them out all together than listen to a bunch of posts about how "unrealistic" it is going through the canals with no locks. Besides, wasn't the Suez built after WWII?

Charlie901
03-26-2005, 10:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by v2ducati:
I'm betting that the Canals aren't moddeled because of the system of locks used to transverse them, easier to leave them out all together than listen to a bunch of posts about how "unrealistic" it is going through the canals with no locks. Besides, wasn't the Suez built after WWII? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>



Don't matter, seeing how we could theoretically go around the South of Africa or South of South America.

Darnitz
03-26-2005, 10:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by v2ducati:
Besides, wasn't the Suez built after WWII? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL

CaptainRadish
03-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Suez was built in what, 1850 I think?

I decided to try to sail around the world. I outfitted my IXB with it's very own nuclear reactor and plotted a course around the world.

It took me several hours (of real time) at full compression, but I did it. I felt so proud of myself. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My crew didn't seem to care too much, though, even though I kept shouting at them that we just sailed around the world. They just looked at me, impassively. *Sigh*

supersabre1
03-26-2005, 10:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darnitz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by v2ducati:
Besides, wasn't the Suez built after WWII? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Yea, that crazy Erwin ROmmel, thats why he never captured the Suez Canal, it hadnt been built yet!


.....suez canal was built before the panama canal mate...

CaptainRadish
03-26-2005, 10:51 PM
My next project is to see if the locks are modeled. Wish me luck!

v2ducati
03-27-2005, 02:12 AM
Don't know what I was thinking, my feet are too big to keep chewing on them.

walsh2509
03-27-2005, 03:50 AM
Well I went looking for Icebergs?? Set off from the top of Scotland and headed Norht 3000+ miles later you run into these massive high sheer cliffs.

But not blue/wite Icebergs? The cliffs were grey!

What that just a movie with Icebergs in it or are they in the sim?

Vw-Leg
03-27-2005, 03:58 AM
Yeah they are there, go to northern canada and the Northwest Passage (ooer!)u should see them there. Prolly Greenland too.

one.zero
03-27-2005, 03:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ApolloFS:
What I found weird is that the Suez and Panama canals are filled with land-at least on the map-don't know if anyone has tried going over there... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Just great...the map section is once again proven to be terribly deficient. The canals should be heavily defended with high levels of shipping. what the heck devs? Wake up.

RElated to sailing to japan, since they left out friendly ports like argentina and others, and resupply, how could you ever make it with the fuel levels we have?

A.K.Davis
03-27-2005, 03:22 PM
The canals should be "ports" with ships spawning and despawning just as they do with normal ports in game. Actually modelling the canals would be silly, as it would be impossible for an Axis to pass through.

Or perhaps this is already the case in the game. I haven't been to either.

wolfh2o
03-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Anyone tried going through the Straits of Magellan? I'm wondering if it's even possible with the inaccuracy it seems the map has.

one.zero
03-27-2005, 05:24 PM
I would at the very least like to see the channels in scapa flow that don't exist.

Better yet, how about a map that shows land and water in the correct places. That would be the best start.

I hope this is fixed soon. At present, I don't find myself operating as a captain, I find myself being forced at all times to be doing everyone elses job on the boat.

bigwheel99
03-27-2005, 05:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by one.zero:
Just great...the map section is once again proven to be terribly deficient. The canals should be heavily defended with high levels of shipping. what the heck devs? Wake up.

RElated to sailing to japan, since they left out friendly ports like argentina and others, and resupply, how could you ever make it with the fuel levels we have? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Under realism options you can give yourself unlimited fuel.