PDA

View Full Version : the dynamic nature of SHIII

reumatiib
04-15-2005, 09:39 AM
The question was out there about whether the career game was dynamic. I have been on about 8 patrols - often to the same areas, and each time all the conditions were totally different. Especially the weather. As for creating a cumulative effect on the forces themselves or the war's outcome, it was not the plan of SHIII to change the war's outcome - at least as far as I can see.

But the missions do present greatly differing events in locations, which a standard scripted level does not.

FOR EXAMPLE: last night, once I finished my required 24 hour stint, I took my U-boat to waters that I knew would be full of ship traffic(cause the shipping routes are fixed). Anyway I had fed there before without trouble. But this time after I had taken out about 8 ships (and thinking that the sea there was now about fished out, I suddenly was surrounded by 5 DD coming from all directions. And this was in an area where I had never ran into DD before.

Since I was out of eels, I ran away going 1 knot on electrics for silence sake. It worked. But I was really happy to see myself caught like that. In most sub games most map areas are scripted and always turn out the same.

reumatiib
04-15-2005, 09:39 AM
The question was out there about whether the career game was dynamic. I have been on about 8 patrols - often to the same areas, and each time all the conditions were totally different. Especially the weather. As for creating a cumulative effect on the forces themselves or the war's outcome, it was not the plan of SHIII to change the war's outcome - at least as far as I can see.

But the missions do present greatly differing events in locations, which a standard scripted level does not.

FOR EXAMPLE: last night, once I finished my required 24 hour stint, I took my U-boat to waters that I knew would be full of ship traffic(cause the shipping routes are fixed). Anyway I had fed there before without trouble. But this time after I had taken out about 8 ships (and thinking that the sea there was now about fished out, I suddenly was surrounded by 5 DD coming from all directions. And this was in an area where I had never ran into DD before.

Since I was out of eels, I ran away going 1 knot on electrics for silence sake. It worked. But I was really happy to see myself caught like that. In most sub games most map areas are scripted and always turn out the same.

CaptainBeefhead
04-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Don´t you think it´s ´cos of the different times you get here and there.
The starting time allways differs when quit and start the same patrol again. I don´t think the ships are deployed randomly.

Maj_Solo
04-15-2005, 12:45 PM
south of Ireland you have that destroyer with 4 long chimneys going perfectly straight at 3 knots, I've run up through his baffles at 8 knots and sunk him several times. Usually going south.

West of Ireland it is often Class-C and around brittain very common with V&W type, either I am right or I am hallucinating http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif