PDA

View Full Version : Gloster Gladiator

btasm
03-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Newbie question again. The skins folder list the Gladiator Mk1 and Mk2. Yet, in QMB, I have no flyable Gladiators. The one I can find shows up in the "Objects" menu under aircraft - Axis - and with Greek insignia, no less.

Is there a flyable Glad in 1946?

AndyJWest
03-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Yes, the Gladiator is flyable - but this is a representation of the ones supplied to Finland - hence it is listed under Axis aircraft as a J8A. You'll find it has a weird combination of Finnish (or Swedish?) and German instruments, but is a Gladiator all right. One of the later additions to IL-2, so the cockpit modelling etc is rather good. It is rather underpowered, so getting the best out of it takes time, but it is fun to fly - just take care not to go into any negative-G manoeuvres, as the engine can cut.

Incidentally, the default markings are 'sanitised' Finnish ones - the Finns used a swastika, but this causes legal problems selling games in some countries (hence no swastika on Luftwaffe aircraft tails either).

wheelsup_cavu
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
The J8 is flyable but not the Gladiator.

http://www.mission4today.com/uploads/forums/canopy_open_j8.jpg

Wheels

AndyJWest
03-25-2011, 06:54 PM
I think that J8A was just the designation used by Finland (or possibly Sweden - this is what Wikipedia says) There weren't any major differences.

P.S. Btasm, try it out on a winter map - you get skis instead of wheels.

ytareh
03-26-2011, 02:23 AM
If I remember correctly the modpacks have the two 'british' Gladiator 'marks' flyable with 'proper' english instruments.The Mk2 is identical apart from being about 1-2mph faster !EDIT Theres a Sea Gladiator in there too!

btasm
03-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks all. I thought it might be available under another name, but didn't pick up the JA8.

Erkki_M
03-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by AndyJWest:
I think that J8A was just the designation used by Finland (or possibly Sweden - this is what Wikipedia says)

Swedish as they were Swedish <STRIKE>built</STRIKE> assembled, GL within FiAF(like B-239 was BW, Bf 109 MT, Hawk-75 HK etc.).

ytareh
03-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Freakiest thing happened to me today on online Zekes Vs Wildcats server .It was the Singapore (Port Sweetenham?)map and there were 3 Betties coming in at me CAP-ing the city guarded by a lone A6M2 Zeke/Zero.I opened my account well taking out a Betty before the inevitable onslaught from the apparently well flown Zero which was cruising around at around 5km alt ...I was blown out of it in a Buffalo then a Hurri 2B and then a Buffalo again...
Then I had a crazy idea to try a Gladiator ...I chased after a Betty which had hit the base from med/high alt but wasnt catching it .I was all too aware that the Zero was shadowing me again from on high.I broke off and climbed up towards him .He climbed away .I reckon he was just sensibly allowing his team mates to land safely .I started to have serious reality bites around 6.5km alt when the wingtip contrails started to appear !!!Amazingly this guy was NOT leaving me for dead despite going on fairly long 'extensions'...when he would come round to attack me i could flick away and suffered no worse than a single MG out after 3 or 4 of his 'passes'.This went on for ages possibly peaking out at 8-9km !!!!I was down to 80-120kmh indicated at times !I even had a few potshots at him from time to time .In the end the mission changed !!!So I guess even THE (well maybe the polish P.11c) crappest planes can have their day!I also LOVE taking out 109s in the Blenheim 'fighter'...