PDA

View Full Version : Take off in multi engine aircraft

Klussdog
07-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi guys, can some one tell me how to take off in a multi engine aircraft. I have no problem with single engine types but mutli just spin in circles. I am using a Saitek X52 JS and can custom map the buttons.

DKoor
07-02-2009, 11:49 PM
You need to set throttle at 0%, select engine by engine, start them then select them all and WAIT for them to settle the RPM's... set your aircraft at take off position (line) then SLOWLY apply throttle up to 50% max.
Counteract the engine torque with opposite rudder (you must do that practically until you lift off), and if it doesn't work first apply brakes and as a final measure lower throttle to say 30-40%, line the aircraft straight again then take off.
Once you get up to speed your aircraft wont "wonder" on one or both sides that much so you can apply full throttle and wait for enough speed to lift off.

It is of UTMOST importance that you have a steady aircraft which nose wont wonder left-right much during take off because your gears will likely break.

Tu-2 is the one notorious for its toughness on take off.
It is Ai only aircraft that were made flyable by mods and I think devs didn't setup it properly for us human players to use http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Fledermaus578
07-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Go into "controls" and set some buttons. You'll need "SELECT ENGINE #1", "SELECT ENGINE #2", "SELECT ALL ENGINES" "tOGGLE ENGINE(which you should already have) and lastly, a key to "FEATHER PROP".
Sequence is....
"Select engine #1"... Start engine.
"Select engine #2"... Start engine.
"Select All Engines"

Your X52 throttle will now control both engines.
If an engine gets shot and shuts down, Feather Prop will turn the prop blade so that it doesn't cause so much drag.
When taxi-ing... don't go over about 30% on the throttle when turning, or you might start spinning in circles.
(I have an X52 but use the keyboard for engine starts.)

gizmo60
07-03-2009, 04:08 AM
And don't forget some multi engined aircraft have fire extinguishers.

But I can't remember the default key anymore.

DKoor
07-03-2009, 04:45 AM
M.C.200 also has fire extinguisher http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .
TB-3 Russian heavy bomber has them, American medium bombers have them, Mosquito maybe some others too.

Hehe... sometimes it comes handy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif .

TinyTim
07-03-2009, 04:57 AM
I've been called more than just a cheater once on UKD-2, flying a TB-3. I was attacked by a Brewster, and he succseeded in setting one of my engines on fire two or three times, but I always managed to put the fire out via fire-extinguishers.

Then that he really lost it... I was a cheater, hacker... you name it. It took me a while to convince him that there are fire extinguishers modelled in the game.

danjama
07-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Does anybody know which planes have the ability to feather props? A list of them?

dirkpit7
07-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by danjama:
Does anybody know which planes have the ability to feather props? A list of them?

Hardball's aircraft viewer has information on every plane's "special" features, including prop feathering.

RPMcMurphy
07-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Once you have figured out how to get both engines started hold down the brakes and look down at your throttle levers as you work the throttle a lttle bit to make sure the levers are both moving right-together.

Klussdog
07-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all of the tips guys, everything seems to be a OK now although I do have another question. With the Saitek x52 my throttle is the mini slide the one that you control with your left thumb. Is there a way to configure the unit so that the throttle lever actually controls the throttle process and configure the mini slide for prop pitch? This would seem to be a better solution.

Tully__
07-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Klussdog:
Thanks for all of the tips guys, everything seems to be a OK now although I do have another question. With the Saitek x52 my throttle is the mini slide the one that you control with your left thumb. Is there a way to configure the unit so that the throttle lever actually controls the throttle process and configure the mini slide for prop pitch? This would seem to be a better solution.
In the game control assignment screen, go right to the very bottom of the screen and find the section under the HOTAS CONTROL heading. You can assign axis controls including sliders and rotaries there.

Kettenhunde
07-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Out of curiousity, does your game model critical engine and Vmc in twins?