PDA

View Full Version : Pan/hatswitch question

The_Kramer
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi all, I've got IL-2 Forgotten Battles and have been playing it a month or two now. I've got most of it figured out but there is just one little thing that I'm wondering. With my hat switch I can either pan or snap between different views (as you would know). I've found that the pan view is too slow and fiddly to use in the heat of combat, but with the snap view (which snaps back to forward view) I cannot look, for example, to my rear AND upwards, if you follow me.

I was wondering whether there was a way to set the hat switch to move my pilot's head in the X/Y axes, the same way the mouselook works? It would be good if I could just pan around freely like with the mouse, without having to occupy my throttle hand.

I have had a search around and another read of the Nugget's Guide (which was extremely helpful when I first started playing) but couldn't find anything on this.

Also, while I'm here, I might as well ask this, since it's not really worthy of its own topic: has anyone ever experienced recorded tracks not playing back properly? I saved the track of my very first air kill; I was in my IL-2 and took on a BF-109 head-on, not the most amazing dogfight ever but as it was my first I was rather proud. However, in the playback of the track, the BF-109 shot *me* down. Rather weird I thought.

The_Kramer
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi all, I've got IL-2 Forgotten Battles and have been playing it a month or two now. I've got most of it figured out but there is just one little thing that I'm wondering. With my hat switch I can either pan or snap between different views (as you would know). I've found that the pan view is too slow and fiddly to use in the heat of combat, but with the snap view (which snaps back to forward view) I cannot look, for example, to my rear AND upwards, if you follow me.

I was wondering whether there was a way to set the hat switch to move my pilot's head in the X/Y axes, the same way the mouselook works? It would be good if I could just pan around freely like with the mouse, without having to occupy my throttle hand.

I have had a search around and another read of the Nugget's Guide (which was extremely helpful when I first started playing) but couldn't find anything on this.

Also, while I'm here, I might as well ask this, since it's not really worthy of its own topic: has anyone ever experienced recorded tracks not playing back properly? I saved the track of my very first air kill; I was in my IL-2 and took on a BF-109 head-on, not the most amazing dogfight ever but as it was my first I was rather proud. However, in the playback of the track, the BF-109 shot *me* down. Rather weird I thought.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-27-2009, 06:38 PM
There is a program called newview that can make the hatswitch emulate the mouse for smooth viewing.

crucislancer
03-27-2009, 07:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Kramer:
Also, while I'm here, I might as well ask this, since it's not really worthy of its own topic: has anyone ever experienced recorded tracks not playing back properly? I saved the track of my very first air kill; I was in my IL-2 and took on a BF-109 head-on, not the most amazing dogfight ever but as it was my first I was rather proud. However, in the playback of the track, the BF-109 shot *me* down. Rather weird I thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are two kinds of recorded tracks in Forgotten Battles and the subsequent releases, the .trk and the .ntrk.

The .trk is version specific (one recorded in v1.22 will not work in v4.08), and while accurate for the most part sometimes the track will take a life of it's on and display things different from how they happened. This is usually caused by using time compression while recording the track. It automatically records, and you save it after the mission is over with the "Save Track" key. It cannot be used to record online missions.

The .ntrk requires you to actually start the recording during the mission, either by hitting the start recording button in the options screen during the mission, or by assigning a key to turn it off. It can be used for online missions, but if you attempt to use time acceleration in an offline game, or the time skip key, the recording will stop.

I'm guessing you used the .trk. Sometimes the track will play right if you exit the game and try to watch it again. It's really funky.

horseback
03-27-2009, 08:25 PM
The easy fix to this is to assign a pair of buttons to Look Up and Look Down, ideally in a position easily reached by your non-POV hat hand.

If you press Look Up while looking to your forward right with the hat, it will raise your line of sight 45 degrees, very handy while pursuing a bandit in a hard right hand turn.

Similarly, pressing Look Down while manipulating your hat will lower your line of sight 45 degrees, allowing you to well, look down outside and inside your cockpit.

As I recall, the default setting for your POV hat will be Look Up at 0 degrees, and Look Down for 180 degrees. I would change them to Look Front Up and Look Front Down, and leave the rest of my hatswitch buttons where they are.

Also, if you have a HOTAS along the lines of the CH Pro Throttle, consider using the POV hat on that for your primary POV hat instead of the one on your joystick. It's much easier to control your aircraft and look around at the same time that way.

Conversely, the Saitek X52 HOTAS system has a pretty good little mouse thumb controller on the throttle side; you might want to consider that.

cheers

horseback

Tully__
03-27-2009, 08:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Kramer:
I was wondering whether there was a way to set the hat switch to move my pilot's head in the X/Y axes, the same way the mouselook works? It would be good if I could just pan around freely like with the mouse, without having to occupy my throttle hand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you press the Look Up key at the same time as the Look Right hat switch position, the game will look up/right.

The program mentioned by Urufu_Shinjiro (newview) and another called Joy2Key (sometimes JoyToKey) both allow some useful re-jigging of joystick button/hatswitch controls.

If your joystick is a Saitek, you can use the profiling software to directly emulate mouse control on the hatswitch without using 3rd party software.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, while I'm here, I might as well ask this, since it's not really worthy of its own topic: has anyone ever experienced recorded tracks not playing back properly? I saved the track of my very first air kill; I was in my IL-2 and took on a BF-109 head-on, not the most amazing dogfight ever but as it was my first I was rather proud. However, in the playback of the track, the BF-109 shot *me* down. Rather weird I thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A little more detail to add to what Crucislancer has provided.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> The .trk version (save track button after exiting a mission) is only available for single player games. It saves the mission file and all the player's control inputs for the duration of the mission. When you play it back, it reloads the mission file as if it were going to be played as a single player mission, then plays back the recorded player inputs. The problem is if there is any discrepancy in the time the recorded inputs are applied or if the aircraft responds differently (due to a flight model change resulting from a patch) the effect of the control inputs will be different and the rest of the mission is not going to look like it did when it was recorded. Also, as it only records the inputs for the player aircraft and uses AI routines for the rest of the aircraft in the mission, it's useless for multiplayer recording.
<LI> The .ntrk version (Start/Stop quick recording in the ESC menu or user assigned key controls) records the location, attitude, speed, damage condition and activity of every object in the game at frequent intervals. Pluses are that it plays back the same on any later version, it can be used in multiplayer games.
Minuses are that the file size for the recording is much bigger (offset by the fact you don't have to record the whole mission, you can just pick the interesting bits) and because the recorded states are at intervals rather than continous, bullets that hit in the real mission sometimes appear to miss by a small margin in the playback or vice versa. This is not too critical as damage is calculated from the recorded damage states, not the normal hit detection used when actually playing the game.
A side effect of the fact that this version records what the player's computer thinks is happening is that when several pilots in an online game all make recordings, they often differ by a small amount due to discrepancies on what appears on each machine due to lag/ping delays. [/list]

tagTaken2
03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Newview is great, fiddly to get perfect, but totally worth the effort.

Aviar
03-28-2009, 07:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've found that the pan view is too slow and fiddly to use in the heat of combat, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can easily adjust your pan speed by editing the 'Speed' parameter in your conf file. A higher value will increase the speed. Experiment with the value to see which speed may be right for you.

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=10 &lt;----------Edit this value

Aviar