PDA

View Full Version : Bf109 H - any information?

WildeSau1975
07-04-2007, 01:49 AM
Hi all,

I have heard something of a H version of the Bf109. Some kind of a high altitude version.

Do someone of you know more about it? Was it actually used in combat?

Thanks for any information.

Michael the WildeSau

woofiedog
07-04-2007, 03:41 AM
A small number of pre-production aircraft, designated Bf 109H-0, were converted from standard Bf 109F airframes by the insertion of additional wing sections which increased span by 6 ft. 6 in. and the attachment of a new, long-span tailplane which was reinforced by stout struts. The Bf 109H-0 was powered by the DB 601E engine, but the production Bf l09H-1 had the DB 605A with GM-1 boost and was used in the summer of 1944 by the service test group at Guyan-court. Intended for fighter-reconnaissance duties, the Bf l09H-1 was able to reach an altitude of approximately 47,000 feet, and attained a maximum speed of 466 m.p.h. Armament comprised two 7.9-mm. MG 17 machine-guns and one 30-mm. MK 108, and it was proposed to insta11 two 13-mm. MG 131 guns in the wings.

* The "Bf-109H" was a high-altitude fighter ("Hochleichtungsjaeger"), featuring extended wings, a pressurized cockpit, and high-altitude engine fits, built in response to an RLM requirement issued in early 1943.

At first, the Bf-109H was conceived as basically a Frederick with wing inserts to provide extended span for high-altitude operation. The wing inserts had the incidental effect of moving the main landing gear outward, giving the aircraft a wider ground track.

However, this concept was abandoned since it could not meet RLM requirements. Messerschmitt then suggested that their new "Me-209H" fighter, then in development and discussed in more detail in the next chapter, could do the job. The Me-209H was to have a new DB-628A or DB-603A turbocharged engine for high-altitude operation, but delivery of the Me-209-II was not expected until 1944. As an interim measure, the RLM ordered Messerschmitt to go ahead with the Bf-109H and redesign it for use with the new engines.

A Gustav, designated "Bf-109V49", had already been fitted with a mockup of the DB-628A as part of the Me-209-II program, and so it was a straightforward step to install an operational DB-628A in another Gustav for Bf-109H flight tests as the "Bf-109V50". While this aircraft was undergoing trials, a third Gustav was fitted with both the DB-628A and the extended wings.

While Messerschmitt worked on Bf-109H prototypes with the DB-628A engine, the company also built of up a batch of "Bf-109H-0" fighters for engineering tests and "Bf-109H-1" fighters for field evaluation, all modified from Fredericks and powered by the more conventional DB-601E engine with GM-1 nitrous oxide boost.

The Bf-109H-1s were evaluated by the Luftwaffe in France in early 1944. The trials went well, except for the fact that the aircraft demonstrated an unhealthy wing flutter in dives. Tests were conducted on some of these aircraft back in Augsburg, and in April 1944 one lost a wing during a dive. This apparently stalled the program, which was then presently cancelled in favor of the Focke-Wulf Ta-152H. A number of additional H-series subvariants were considered but never reached prototype stage.

Can't find any real photos. Sorry

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/images/bf109hdj_4.jpg

http://www.pegasusmodels.com/109h.jpg

WildeSau1975
07-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Many thanks for this very interesting information.

Interesting to see how many different variants the built of the Bf109.

Again thanks,

Michael the WildeSau

luftluuver
07-04-2007, 04:20 AM
The H also had a signifacantly lower roll rate than then the K > 6 sec compared to 4.5 sec. (from Mtt testing) It was slower than the K at SL (~20mph) but had a much better climb rate.

Mtt also was working on a Spezial Hohenjager, the Me155B. This also was a long span winged a/c. This design was transferred to Blohm&Voss and given the designation Bv155.

HuninMunin
07-04-2007, 04:39 AM
As an interesting sidenote, this Me ( Bv ) 155 was also projected to be used as a carrier born fighter, when in '42 plans for the completion of the Graf Zeppelin came up again.
It's wingspan were proud 20,5 meters with a celling height of 16950 meters.
Range about 1440 km.
Armament was to be one Mk 108 and two MG 151 /20.

Luftarchiv (http://www.luftarchiv.de/)
has some pics of it ( look in the B & V section ).