PDA

View Full Version : Book Movies dont play :-(

dukesatan
12-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Ok puzzler for ya guy's. My mate just got URU and i got a few controls sorted for him so everything was really cool at moving around, then we worked out the first part and when we got to the first book, no movie, just a static garbled screen. So we patched the game, also media player 9, graphics drivers, hell just about everything is right up to date. But there seems to be a faulty codec or something on his system as he did once say he couldent watch a couple movies. So does anyone know what the correct codec is, how to find out if it's the right version and if possable how to patch it if it's out of date. DirectX i beleave is at either 9.0a or 9.0b, does this matter? I built the system and it's never been a problem so i can only think it's software, current spec's:

Athlon 1.4gig
512meg 133 memory
Windows XP home edition
Sound blaster live value
Geforce FX5600 128meg (Dabs value, works ace)
Media player 9
DivX 5
Quick time (unknown version, probably 5)

I'v checker DXdiag and no problems detected, the game is perfect in playing everything else, the intro cyan movies play no worries, it's just the books dont play, comments or help please. I just need to keep the poor lad happy. Thanks for any comments.

D-S

dukesatan
12-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Ok puzzler for ya guy's. My mate just got URU and i got a few controls sorted for him so everything was really cool at moving around, then we worked out the first part and when we got to the first book, no movie, just a static garbled screen. So we patched the game, also media player 9, graphics drivers, hell just about everything is right up to date. But there seems to be a faulty codec or something on his system as he did once say he couldent watch a couple movies. So does anyone know what the correct codec is, how to find out if it's the right version and if possable how to patch it if it's out of date. DirectX i beleave is at either 9.0a or 9.0b, does this matter? I built the system and it's never been a problem so i can only think it's software, current spec's:

Athlon 1.4gig
512meg 133 memory
Windows XP home edition
Sound blaster live value
Geforce FX5600 128meg (Dabs value, works ace)
Media player 9
DivX 5
Quick time (unknown version, probably 5)

I'v checker DXdiag and no problems detected, the game is perfect in playing everything else, the intro cyan movies play no worries, it's just the books dont play, comments or help please. I just need to keep the poor lad happy. Thanks for any comments.

D-S

Moleculor
12-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Book movies?

What're you talking about? Unfortunately, the linking panels in Uru don't move. So I really don't know what you're seeing.

Heimdall_G
12-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Please clarify - what does a static garbled screen look like? What exactly did you click on to get to the first book, with no movie?

For reference, see maztec's excellent 'Hardware/Software Technical Support Guide' at http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=8271034&m=1161008.

Did you kill all of the unnecessary programs running in the background before you did the Uru patch and driver, etc., reinstalls? In particular, having a virus scanner running in the background can mess up an install, and the installer may not tell you about it. Also, were all of the updates from fresh downloads, not something you may have downloaded 'recently'?

Are your video drivers the latest nVidia version, or from the graphics card manufacturer? I'd strongly recommend nVidia's version 52.16 (delete old drivers, reboot, install latest drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_52.16 ).

I've had problems with DirectX 9.0a, which disappeared upon installation of 9.0b. You can download 9.0b from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=141d5f9e-07c1-462a-baef-5eab5c851cf5&displaylang=en.

Did you perchance also reinstall your Sound Blaster drivers (delete old drivers, reboot, install latest drivers from http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/ )? Before or after the Uru problems? The sound drivers may not be the problem directly but could be causing a conflict with things video, and sometimes the order in which drivers are installed can make a real difference.

Lastly, try renaming (not deleting) your Uru install directory, reinstalling Uru per defaults, then starting the game again. Try it with and without the version 1.2 patch, but kill all of the unnecessary programs running in the background before patching (and before reinstalling Uru).

Heimdall

[This message was edited by Heimdall G on Tue June 08 2004 at 09:47 AM.]

dukesatan
12-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Ok, first bare in mind i have no idea how far in the game he was, etc. I beleive he's at the start with the hole in the ground (big desert area with no go around mountain), we found all the hand symbols and went through the final door by the tree in the underground section. This led down to a link book, in all the other versions of myst (yes i'v played them all) the books show a movie of the next world, it was the charm that made it all so much more real. These books appear on screen but the window were the movie part would play just comes up with junk, it's everything from pink blocks, to green blocks etc. Just like it's not started the movie. We did carry on to the new age through the book and after falling off the cliff (hay had to try it, lol) we came out of the building to find 4 new books in stands, i only tried 1 and again it dident play anything, at this point we stoped playing. So we know when the bug is fixed, hopefully he hasent done any more and gone further, but it's not to hard to get there again. I'll have to wait and find out what version of directx he has install. I really cant remember, either way i'll take down the redist package and if needed reapply that at 9.0b. He did download the latest graphic drivers and installed them himself (nVidia 52.16), but he reported to me last night that that hadent helped either. We do use PC-Cillin as our virus checker and it's never been a problem to any other game in the past, so i'd be suprised if it caused anything this time. Also the fact he said he's had movies not playing in media player sugests it's not the installation of the game, as he only got it a few days before the weekend. Hadent thought about the sound card drivers, although he may have updated them himself, mind come to think of it, i did download a huge 50meg SB pack when it was done for XP, there may be a newer version, dunno without checking what he has etc. Anyway, thanks for the idea's, i guess no hint as to what media codec the movies use? What associated versions of dll's i could check to see if there present or correct version? Thanks for the idea's

D-S

Coronagold
12-01-2003, 04:36 PM
Book movies? You mean the animations of the linking books' pages? Uru doesn't have book pages that animate like Exile. (If that's what you're talking about.)

http://sargem.hypermart.net/RelJump1sigJ.jpg

Dillenger69
12-01-2003, 04:46 PM
How about a screenshot of the blocky/chunky stuff?

Like everyone else has said ... definetly no animated linking panels in Uru (yet).

- - - -
http://www.wonderwedge.org/images/banners/milkad2.jpg
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.

dukesatan
12-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Ok, here's a few snap shot's i managed to get my mate to take, i'v had to shrink them to half size, he plays at 1280*whatever should that be of interest. There on our company web site so only look if you need to, there in a folder of there own so dont go playing around peeps, cheers. I'd like someone to now explaine to me what these are if there not the start to movies?? They always had been movies in all other version of myst and it just wouldent BE myst if it wasent the same again in this version. Comments please :-)

http://www.dolphindigital.co.uk/uru/Uru2a.jpg
http://www.dolphindigital.co.uk/uru/Uru3a.jpg
http://www.dolphindigital.co.uk/uru/Uru4a.jpg

Moleculor
12-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Now THAT'S odd! Those books are supposed to be completely static images... well, unless they used one image for a linking book, and just inserted the static image of the age on top of it...

Has he tried reinstalling and then patching? It's possible that the graphics for the seperate ages got corrupted somehow. You weren't running a virus scanner when you installed, were you?

(P.S. If you haven't seen us say it yet, I'll say it again... There are NO MOVIES in the linking panels in the books in this game, sorry. I wish there were, and I hope there will be soon, but there aren't any at the moment... Most of the panels have too many variables to show a movie unless you want to download about ten movies per book.)

Moleculor
12-01-2003, 11:20 PM
I have to admit though, the first time (and even now) I saw those pics, they definitely reminded me of a QuickTime movie gone bad. WEIRD.

dukesatan
12-02-2003, 05:01 AM
Ok, so you say there are no video's in the books this time, why hope there will be?? This is a complete game now, my mate baught it, fully boxed, legitimate version. You cant expect him to go downloading movies off the net because someone thought it would be a nice addition AFTER the game went on sale, thats just wrong. If there's no movies, there should never be any. Knowing how big movies are do you really expect the millions of UK users with a 56K modem to download them? Hell no, alas this game now looks very much like the latest tomb raider game, half complete, rushed to the shop's and missing the format the others had started. A poor show, and i know there must be hundreds of variables, BUT it's not impossable to do a movie, the original myst did it on windows 3.1 for christ sake!! This is a step backwards and cyan should be embaressed at this failing to keep the format of the myst games. Case closed. Btw, i wont be purchasing this game myself, more and more PC games are being rushed.

D-S

Coronagold
12-02-2003, 05:22 AM
Well, being yours is the 1st time anyone has heard of this glitch, it sounds like the problem is on your end, not Ubis'.

http://sargem.hypermart.net/RelJump1sigJ.jpg

Shadow_Demon31
12-02-2003, 11:06 AM
i suspect it is my end somewhere, somehow but what duke's saying is that the game in general is a poor show and i agree as the video's were one of the best effects and brought a more realistic feeling to the game but i have now had word from a guy at Cyan themselves that they are definately NOT video's in the books but as stated above, only static images. i have enjoyed playing all the game in the myst trilogy and graphical representation wise it is stunning but this is no good if the rest of the game is so flawed!! i won't be buying anymore games from cyan or Ubi if this is the standard i can expect in the future.

Heimdall_G
12-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Canâ't be of any help with codecs, but after seeing the screenshots, I'm reminded of some problems I've had in the past that gave the same sort of hash on the screen, plus very recently with Uru. The past problems were not directly with Media Player and Quick Time, but some sort of conflict between graphics card drivers and the movie players. While these were situations with computers running Win98SE, not XP, maybe the same fixes would apply to XP.

The symptoms that occurred on different machines with games other than Uru included system lockups and multi-colored hash, plus the mouse not working in one case. What I did for those problems was uninstall Media Player and Quick Time (rebooting after each uninstall), even though they were the latest versions, and then uninstalling/reinstalling the latest graphics card drivers. That cured the screen hash and lockups. Reinstalling both MP and QT, in that order, somewhat surprisingly resulted in everything continuing to work fine.

My recent Uru problem on my own machine (running Win 98SE) was apparently related to the 1280x1024 resolution I was trying to run, up from 800x600, which should have been fine with a GeForce 4 TI4600. After various other messing about, I tried stepping down the resolution through the available options, but the hash didnâ't go away until I got back to 800x600. Nothing obvious as to what actually caused the problem in the first place.

So, some other possibilities, could be worth a shot.

As a side comment, I donâ't think Uru was ever intended to be Myst IV, as rather weakly alluded to on the box - â˜Ages BEYOND Mystâ', but it certainly is a close Myst cousin. And Uru is very definitely a different animal than the other Myst games, if nothing else a much simpler game out of the box. Seems that a bunch of folks thought Uru was Myst IV, though, and have been rather vocally unhappy. Why is there Uru? IMHO, Ubisoft/Cyan want to keep the Myst saga alive and in the gaming publicâ's eye, but havenâ't got Myst IV anywhere near ready to go and maybe donâ't have the necessary resources right now. So, Uru appears to be something of a stopgap. Rather like Billy the Gatesâ' next greatest and best version of Windows due out in a couple of years, which has Win XP as its stopgap. I do believe, though, that Uru Live will be a great MMRPG when Ubisoft/Cyan get their act together and finish the current beta-testing (probably during mid-January 2004). Weâ'll see.

Heimdall
KI 89512, DRC(3)

Moleculor
12-02-2003, 10:21 PM
I can't believe you people are still talking like there are movies in these books!

I challenge you to find ONE PERSON on these boards that owns the game to tell you that there are movies in these books. And hell, you guys want an official Ubi person to come by? PM someone! Or write technical support with your problem (they'll be able to help a lot more than we will) and THEY'LL tell you there aren't movies!

I wish there were. But there aren't. Lemme give you an example (besides the fact that the game -was- rushed out the door by Ubi) why.

Take Eder. I forget if it's Eder Kemo or Eder Gira, but it's the steam vent age.

The linking picture has in it... A shot of the sky, a shot of two steam vents which can be opened and closed, and various shadows 'n such in view.

1. This age has a real-time sun-moon cycle. That's right. If you come back something like 15 hours later or so, what was once day will be night time.

1a. Because of this, the sky will be different.
1b. The lighting will be different.

2. Each of those vents can be either open or closed.

2a. Vents one and two could be open.
2b. Vents one and two could be closed.
2c. Only vent one could be open.
2d. Only vent two could be open.

3. The shadows actually correspond with the sun's position. Or they at least change directions during certain times of the day.

If you JUST look at #1 and #2, you have a possible eight different movies that would have to play for that book.

#3 makes a movie downright IMPOSSIBLE without your computer having something like a GB or more of RAM and a 2.5+ GHz processor. Why? Because it would have to load the age in question just as if you were actually going to it to give a real-time rendered image of the place. And do it all in less than the second-and-a-half it takes to pick up and open the book!

On top of that they've already crammed 1.6GB of info onto a single CD. A CD routinely holds no more than 800MB. They probably couldn't FIT eight more movies OR MORE, PER AGE onto the CD.

So no. There are no movies. Sorry. Suck it up and deal with it.

MAYBE, if we're LUCKY, they'll have movies in a patch. And since you already have to download 70MB ages at a time if you ever want to play this game online, I don't exactly see how a few movies is going to hurt any.

maztec
12-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Well.. I agree with you mostly Moleculor. . But I suspect the bigger problem is that the images in the books just aren't displaying correctly in his copy.

If it's purchased I have no idea as to what would be causing this. I haven't seen it or heard of it. My only suspicion is that the book files were somehow corrupted.

Moleculor
12-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Well of course the images aren't displaying right. He took screenshots. They're not displaying right.

But the author of the thread, the guy with the actual problem, and some OTHER person who obviously doesn't own the game have kept bringing up movies and how this game needs movies (or as the third guy has done kept pointing towards QuickTime codecs 'n such).

maztec
12-02-2003, 11:00 PM
heh, something like that...

I've taken screenshots of the books and haven't had them display like that *smirk*

Shadow_Demon31
12-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Moleculor, you obviously didn't read my last reply because if you did you would've seen me mention that i KNOW there are no movies and i have never been in any doubt of that!! i am fully aware that they are static images but am still completely at a loss as to why these images don't appear as they shoud. none of them do on or in any book and it is really annoying me because it is spoiling what seems to otherwise be a great game! is it possible that the image files on my game disc are somehow corrupted i'm beginning to wonder and i'll try the ubi support and cyan but using them isn't exactly straightforward either!

maztec
12-03-2003, 10:29 AM
I wonder if there are truly any static images in the game... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dillenger69
12-03-2003, 10:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dukesatan:
Ok, so you say there are no video's in the books this time, why hope there will be?? This is a complete game now, my mate baught it, fully boxed, legitimate version. You cant expect him to go downloading movies off the net because someone thought it would be a nice addition AFTER the game went on sale, thats just wrong. If there's no movies, there should never be any. Knowing how big movies are do you really expect the millions of UK users with a 56K modem to download them? Hell no, alas this game now looks very much like the latest tomb raider game, half complete, rushed to the shop's and missing the format the others had started. A poor show, and i know there must be hundreds of variables, BUT it's not impossable to do a movie, the original myst did it on windows 3.1 for christ sake!! This is a step backwards and cyan should be embaressed at this failing to keep the format of the myst games. Case closed. Btw, i wont be purchasing this game myself, more and more PC games are being rushed.

D-S<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually, it's not a step backwards. Any place you look in Uru looks better than the original Myst game (trust me, go back and look). We are speculating that moving linking panels may someday be added to Uru live. They will never be added to Uru prime.

I don't know what form the textures are stored in but the problem looks exactly like corrupt JPGs I've seen. I'd copy your sav directory, wipe uru and reinstall.

- - - -
http://www.wonderwedge.org/images/banners/milkad2.jpg
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.

maztec
12-03-2003, 03:22 PM
unless you have a borrowed copy.. I just confirmed that at least one of the not exactly legal versions of Uru floating on the Internet is a rip that saved some file size by tearing out the book graphics -- leaving you with a very ugly book.

Oh, I accuse you of nothing, just noting that that exists http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif