PDA

View Full Version : How to properly trim?

Benses
04-19-2008, 06:12 AM
I just came back the IL-2 (and flight sims in general) a couple of weeks ago. I never really used trim before in IL-2, but this time I said I would give it a shot.

Now here my problem. I've got a cougar for a joystick and the trim is map to the antenna nobs, but I just can't seem to get the trim right, either I've got to much trim and the plane keeps climbing or not enough and the keeps going down. I've played around with IL-2 Joystick program (the one from Oleg) for different setting but none of the curves I've tried to resolve this. I've also tried a U shape curve with the same result. I'm also getting the same result when I map the trim to keyboard keys.

I was able to trim the aircraft to a steady flight a few times but it took almost 15-20 minutes, because I was mainly "chasing" the Descent rate needle.

BTW I'm trying all of this flying a Hurricane, which as no aileron trim, just Rudder and Elevator.

Thanks
Ben

ImMoreBetter
04-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Use the keyboard for getting those really small adjustments. Sliders are often too sensitive.

Also, don't try so hard. Any change in altitude or speed will change the trim settings. Just go for the ballpark, unless you plan to cruise for long distances.

R_Target
04-19-2008, 07:29 AM
I get fair results with low sensitivities in IL2JoyControl.

http://i25.tinypic.com/qphs28.jpg

gorkyporky
04-19-2008, 07:52 AM
just trim it so that the nose doesnt go up or down to much. As said before, you dont need it to be perfect, only for long crusie.

Wildnoob
04-19-2008, 08:05 AM
I flow IL2 for nearly two years and never manage to set the variometer of any plane neutral (to tell the truth, just aircraft who have auto-pilot).

I'm currently conducting some research to try find out how hard is in fact to trim a plane for cruize level fligth.

in IL2 I are starting to belive that is almost impossible fly a aircraft at altitude I want. my current joystick is with a problem with the potenciometers, but I already have this problem (to trim the plane) long ago, even when he was with no problem.

I already try everything, and can't set the damm variometer neutral, keeps always positive or negative.

you guys want to know my opinion ?

I DON'T BELIVE THIS !!!

a plane in normal conditions should be able to fly on level without any problem. ask this to any pilot, a pilot don't need figth with the controls to keep the plane on level, wich is basic fligth procedure.

I dream with the day when I will flow without problem for long distances at altitude I want, looking around searching for enemy planes. ask this to a pilot, he will reply : "hey, but this is a basic fligth procedure, wat's wrong ?"

I love IL2, know this sim was one the best things I already do in my life. but, unfortnatly, I can't fly on level with any plane. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

worst, with the tendecy to climbing or down, aerial gunnery get's affeted as well.

guys, check out this japanese animation about the battle of the coral sea :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqulS54IURI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FQ5UK1XPmo&feature=related

check the second part at 5 : 18 - 24

fire like that Zero pilot had fire is another dream for me. I can't fire like that because I can't put the gunsigth on target for much time, because the elevator trim, wich is always unstable.

I really can't belive that trim a plane to fly on level would be a complex task.

please, if someone can give to us some tips...

rigth now I are currently conductin more research (incluing interviews with pilot's) to try find if is in fact a so complex task to fligth a plane on level.

it was never my intention to offend the sim with my post, that was never my intention. I are just a little despaired because I want fly normally, like in real life.

x6BL_Brando
04-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Truly 'hands-off' trim is difficult to obtain in many planes, due I think to the correlation between rudder and elevator trim. I find one affects the other quite noticeably. I usually find that a tad of 'nose-heavy' helps a lot, even when climbing hard, and the ball (or needle) should be centred as near as possible to prevent 'crabbing'.

As above, don't bother looking for perfection - trim is only there to ease the amount of effort needed to fly down, up or level. Be glad you're not flying an Me-109! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

B

Edit: @ Wildnoob.

Real life pilots used rudder pedals, with far less sensitivity than a twisty stick. Sim-flight is also much easier with pedals, as far as keeping the ball (or needle) centred during combat. Everything you mention seems to indicate that your stick sensitivity is set way too high.

Wildnoob
04-19-2008, 08:12 AM
ok, I don't try everything.

I never try use IL2 joy control, it can help me to set the elevator trim sensibility better ?

Wildnoob
04-19-2008, 08:15 AM
guys, don't care to war I are saying.

like I've say, I are despaired to fly on level and don't have much control of my brain in these momments.

please, where I can find IL2 joy control do download ?

x6BL_Brando
04-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
ok, I don't try everything.

I never try use IL2 joy control, it can help me to set the elevator trim sensibility better ?

Yes it can http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Either JoyControl or IL-Sticks (by Fool-Trottle) will really aid you.

B

Wildnoob
04-19-2008, 08:33 AM
oh, I forgot that FoolTrottle have the links. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

gonna check, also can be found in mission4today.

thanks guys, and sorry for my despaired momments. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

damm, how I love the attention the members on this forums have with idiots like me.

Objektskaya
04-19-2008, 09:12 AM
It seems particularly bad in some of the jets. I just flew a series of missions in the Yak-15, and never once could I get it to fly perfectly level for more than a few minutes. Even using the keyboard for those really fine increments of elevator trim, I would end up climbing or descending at 50 or 100 m/s.

That said, it wasn't always so easy in real aircraft either. Yesterday I read about the introduction of electric trim in the F4U-5 Corsair. It was NOT popular with the pilots. One, they no longer had trim "feel" on the knob. They could only trim until the stick forces were neutralized, which involved a lot of trial and error. Two, there was the occasional problem with runaway trim, due to defects in the electrical contacts. This was quite often fatal, and resulted in the "only trim a little at a time" philosophy.

It just depends on the aircraft. I used to fly Cessna 172s a bit, and that was one easy aircraft to trim, whether for cruise, climb, descent, or anything in between. You just dialed the large trim wheel until there were no more forces on the wheel, and you had the rate of climb or descent you wanted for your power setting. The wheel was large enough in diameter that you could make very, very fine adjustments in trim, probably fractions of a degree.

It's probably harder to keep the larger, faster, heavier aircraft trimmed perfectly. In the book "Sled Driver," an SR-71 pilot recounts that, when traveling at around Mach 3 at 70,000 ft, a 1/6 degree change in pitch trim could mean a 500 ft/min climb or descent rate. Yes, 1/6 of a degree!

I only wish the autopilot in this sim were more flexible. Having an "altitude hold" mode would be great. As it is, autopilot will hold an altitude quite well, but it doesn't always use the altitude or airspeed you might want. Altitude hold would be particularly useful for the boring bits of missions, when you're cruising straight and (trying to be) level out to the target area. Maybe it would be possible to write a "bot" type application to do this in the single-player game? Obviously, such aids would be Right Out when playing online.

Wildnoob
04-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Objektskaya, I agreed with you in parts.

but it's something that really depends on wich aircraft is being used. the KI-43 for example, very popular among pilot's for have simple controls. the same aircraft was very ligth, comparable to acrobatic planes of the present I can say. and with me, with my current default controls, it's impossible to keep it at level.

my computer is with some problems and I can't install programs to test the joy control, but will test with a friend of mine who are having the same problem. after that, I'll post the results we maybe will manage to obtain.

I belive it's possible to fly on level with all aircraft on the sim. anyway, gonna continue with my research until I could test the join control. I have the hope that joy control will help me.

crucislancer
04-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Like others have said, you will need to trim when altitude and/or speed change. It's a constant thing, even in combat you want to have a hand near the trim controls.

@ Wildnoob: what kind of joystick do you have? I used to use the Logitech Extreme 3D, and had to set my sensitivity from 1 to 100 on a curve. Now I have the Saitek X52, and I have it set to 100 across the board. Certain sticks respond better to certain settings, for sure.

I remember reading "Baa Baa Black Sheep", and Boyington recalls that sometimes he would sometimes take a nap on the way to the target. In order to do this, though, he needed to attach strings or rubber bands (I don't recall which) to his controls. If he felt that he was starting to go off course, he would pull on one of the strings and right the plane again. This is a good example of a plane that is inherently unstable, and despite trimming for the altitude and speed he was at, small adjustments still needed to be made.

This is true for most planes of the era. Simply getting to speed and altitude and then trimming for it and expecting it to stay that way until you change it is unrealistic, IMHO. So many things affect how the plane flies: Fuel consumption, weather effects, engine issues or design.

Wildnoob
04-19-2008, 11:04 AM
crucislancer, I use all the configurations on default, that should be the problem.

I gonna check how the controls will stay with joy control, I are otimist that will help.

M_Gunz
04-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Benses:
I just came back the IL-2 (and flight sims in general) a couple of weeks ago. I never really used trim before in IL-2, but this time I said I would give it a shot.

Now here my problem. I've got a cougar for a joystick and the trim is map to the antenna nobs, but I just can't seem to get the trim right, either I've got to much trim and the plane keeps climbing or not enough and the keeps going down. I've played around with IL-2 Joystick program (the one from Oleg) for different setting but none of the curves I've tried to resolve this. I've also tried a U shape curve with the same result. I'm also getting the same result when I map the trim to keyboard keys.

I was able to trim the aircraft to a steady flight a few times but it took almost 15-20 minutes, because I was mainly "chasing" the Descent rate needle.

BTW I'm trying all of this flying a Hurricane, which as no aileron trim, just Rudder and Elevator.

Thanks
Ben

There is some delay in the game engine between commanding trim and when trim movement is done.
The more trim change you put in the longer it takes. For a key tap it is fraction of a second
while for full range you are looking at maybe 20 seconds. If you use key or button and hold
it down for more than some fraction of a second, 1/4 or 1/2, then you can hold for 3 seconds
and it can take the full time delay.

Ditto if you move a slider, trim is not done as fast as you can move a slider, there is some
delay noticeable with large trim change.

If you find you are holding the stick off center for long then add some trim in that direction
and see how long it is before you don't have to let up on the stick to stay on course. That
is what you should be doing in game; as you adjust trim to zero your stick forces (real), you
(unreal) need to move your hand to feel less force on the hardware PC stick as opposed to (real)
holding your hand steady and feeling less for force on the stick. IL2 was able to capture the
feel part but without FFB there's no way to have fully realistic.

Just keep your eye on the nose and perhaps VSI. As you trim, you will HAVE to adjust stick to
keep your course that your are supposed to be trimming for. You should feel less and less
finger pull while staying on the same course as you trim. You keep the plane on course though.
When you're on course and zero stick force on your fingers, it's trimmed.

The thing about trimming in flight is even when you do for real, the plane goes a bit faster
trimmed that bit of nose down so you trim some little bit more, etc, until it all equals out.
There's still a slow rise and fall pattern after that unless you're perfect, it's just how
wide the swing is for everyone else. You try and trim that out, you can make things worse.

PIO = Pilot Induced Oscillation.

Make an adjustment and give it some time before making the next. That's also real by my
experience.

bolox00
04-19-2008, 05:14 PM
i run a cougar too (tho i now use a 'trim box' with multiturn pots ) and yes the ant/range knobs feel overly sensitive. i used to run a fairly extreme 'curve' on trim axes

from il2sticks profile:-
[rts_joystick]
aileron=0 28 37 46 55 63 71 78 88 97 100 0
brakes=0 9 14 19 26 34 42 59 74 87 100 0
elevator=0 20 30 40 47 55 66 74 84 94 100 0
flaps=0 0 0 10 30 50 70 80 90 100 100 0
power=0 55 63 66 73 78 82 87 92 96 100 0
pitch=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
rudder=0 25 32 39 48 55 63 71 81 90 100 0
trimaileron=0 2 5 7 9 11 13 15 15 15 15 0
trimelevator=0 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 50 0
trimrudder=0 5 10 15 20 22 25 30 36 43 50 0

note the 'topping out' at 50% on elev/rudder trim- for single engine planes, like hurricane, i found this fine as really only need that trim if damaged. twin engined planes tend to like a bit more trim particularly on landing so raise top out to ~80% for them (a separate profile using FT's utility http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif )

you can also do some of this in cougar ccp axis profiles, but il2sticks gives me better results- your mileage may vary.

another thing, the ingame vsi 'lags' quite a bit so watching for movement of the alt needle aswell can be useful to establish level flight- in addition to points made by others.

hope this helps

AA_Double_Tap
04-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I used to use the rotaries until later patches made it more difficult.
Now I use the T2,3,4,5 switch.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">BTN T2 /U /I Toggle_Icons
/O Light_Landing
/M /I Elevator_Trim_Neutral
/O /H Elevator_Trim_Positive
/D /I
/O All_Engines
BTN T3 /U /I Light_Cockpit
/O Nav_Lights
/M /I Elevator_Trim_Neutral
/O /A Elevator_Trim_Negative
/D /I Engine_Toggle Light_Cockpit View_Wide View_TrackIR_Center
/O Feather_Prop
BTN T4 /U /I Aileron_Trim_Neutral
/O /H Aileron_Trim_Right
/M /I Rudder_Trim_Neutral
/O /H Rudder_Trim_Right
/D /I
/O Select_Engine_2
BTN T5 /U /I Aileron_Trim_Neutral
/O /H Aileron_Trim_Left
/M /I Rudder_Trim_Neutral
/O /H Rudder_Trim_Left
/D /I
/O Select_Engine_1
</pre>

Elevator and rudder trim, the most commonly used, work by pushing the switch up , down, left or right.
Holding the pinkie switch and pushing in any direction instantly cancels the trim.
Others use similar commands with the main HAT switch on the joystick, though I have always found it easier on the throttle.
I have no problems trimming the Cougar inflight and would recommend you master it. It makes gunnery so much more accurate.

~E!~
D_T

UgoRipley
04-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Hi, I also have a Cougar. Do you use Foxy ?

Basically I have trim on button H2 with an /A "slash modifier", for autorepeating.
Here are my Foxy lines for elevator trim, I never had this "delay issue":

TMM FILE
--------
trim_elevator_up = USB (DE0 D51 U51 UE0) rem CTL DARROW
trim_elevator_down = USB (DE0 D52 U52 UE0) rem CTL UARROW

TMJ FILE
--------
BTN H2U /A trim_elevator_down
BTN H2R something else
BTN H2D /A trim_elevator_up
BTN H2L something else

wki3
04-20-2008, 05:45 AM
I have elevator trim mapped to my mouse wheel, and it works great. When lining up to shoot, I'll use trim rather than stick for fine adjustments. Left hand on mouse wheel and right hand on stick.

CloCloZ
04-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by wki3:
I have elevator trim mapped to my mouse wheel, and it works great.

Me too.
Much easier than using keys or joystick buttons.

Objektskaya
04-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by CloCloZ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wki3:

Me too.
Much easier than using keys or joystick buttons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How? I can't get the game to recognize my mouse wheel in the Controls screen.

CloCloZ
04-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Objektskaya:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CloCloZ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wki3:

Me too.
Much easier than using keys or joystick buttons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How? I can't get the game to recognize my mouse wheel in the Controls screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Controls screen, "HOTAS CONTROL" (it's the last section):

Elevator Trim : -Mouse Z-Axis

To set that I just had to move the wheel of my Logitech MX500 mouse, when selecting Elevator Trim control.

Please note the minus sign before "Mouse": if you move the wheel to the opposite direction during setting, the minus sign disappears and trim effect will be reversed.
The above setting works fine for me (moving the wheel backward (towards me) trims up, moving it forward trims down).

M_Gunz
04-21-2008, 06:12 AM
X-52 throttle has what appears to be a mousewheel right where the left index finger would reach.
It's next to a hat, just left of it.

RockyAlexander
04-21-2008, 10:59 AM
I tried the mouse wheel on the X52 and found it to be overly sensitive, but mapping trim to the hat stick right next to it offers some serious precision.

Sun_Ra
04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I've been using the scroll wheel on my mouse for elevator trim for years. Works fine by me. Only downside is you can't tell where neutral is, so sometime I start a flight and it's too far up or down from the previous flight after I've suffered damage and had to correct using large amount of elevator trim. I leave the mouse near the throttle so it's close by at the ready for quick adjustments. Also use a mouse button to fire rear guns and the other mouse button to jump from seat position.

Benses
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the great info!

I think my main problem was trying to be too "perfect" with my trim. Now I just reajust as needed to stay on course. I've also used bolox00 axis setting to tweak my cougar and it works alot better now.

Wildnoob
04-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I think my main problem was trying to be too "perfect" with my trim.

that's exactly wat I want. I will never give up to try fly with the variometer neutral.

I hope that when I test IL2 joy control I'll be able to set less sensitivity on the elevator and finally manage to fly on level, like I've always had dream.

I manage to advance a little with my current configuration. yesterday, I manage to flow with the variometer neutral for some time with the N1K2.

M_Gunz
04-21-2008, 03:04 PM
When your speed changes, so does your trim in game and in real.
You could possibly set trim close and change your speed a tiny amount and be in trim.
Not that anyone would want to except perhaps while cruising.

R_Target
04-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I just looked at my elevator trim setup, and realized it's different than my rudder trim. The sensitivity is much higher but the curve is flatter. IIRC I was overcompensating with lower sensitivity. This is on the thumb rotary of X-52 throttle.

http://i29.tinypic.com/107svat.jpg

bolox00
04-22-2008, 06:32 AM
@ Benses- glad the settings helped

@Wildnood agree with everything M-gunz is saying, let the vsi catch up with your flying, not the other way round. remember the ingame vsi lags about 2 secs behind what your plane is doing.
as a fellow trimaholic i've built a trim box using multi turn pots.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/bolox00/pit/100_1111.jpg

very good for fine setting of trim.

not knowing what stick you're using i hesitate to recommend settings but it might be worth trying these

[Remarks]
ProfileRemark=Capt.Brown's, modified for 4.01

[rts_joystick]
rudder=0 0 0 2 4 6 9 12 17 21 26 0
elevator=0 0 0 3 5 8 12 16 21 27 34 0
aileron=0 0 1 3 7 9 14 18 23 27 33 0

experiment for a few days maybe?

DKoor
04-22-2008, 07:03 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

M_Gunz
04-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by bolox00:
@Wildnood agree with everything M-gunz is saying,

What if I say "Send me large amounts of cash!"? LOL! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

let the vsi catch up with your flying, not the other way round. remember the ingame vsi lags about 2 secs behind what your plane is doing.

Only because that's how they work IRL, though I can't say for 2 the seconds part.
I've never been able to hold a real plane completely level for long even with hours trying.

1) Power staying constant you might speed up a tiny bit in a slight alt loss so you are going
down perhaps less than the width of the VSI needle;
2) without any correction your speed increase makes more lift so you come back up and slow down
some tiny amount you'd hardly notice;
3) that decreases your lift, you lose alt and speed up back at step 1.
4) You can try and correcting that to keep the sinusoid as flat as possible but if you "fly the
needle" which does have delay then you'll end up "all over the sky".

That's real. Perhaps the expert pilots here can tell what to do about it but at about 200mph I
was having enough trouble keeping to +/- 25 feet and the owner/pilot was not upset.

Wildnoob
04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
guys, I understand and agreed that a plane don't stay on level after even a less change in fligth condition.

with me, I hope less sensitity on the elevator trim should be enough to hold at altitude I want.

anyway, thanks for the tips, you guys are very nice. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I can't hold, gonna say wat I have in mind.

for those who already see tora, tora, tora, take a look on this part :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaBCRdTMFpI&feature=related

41 seconds until 1 : 05

see this beautiful IJN (it's war, it's sad, but just a expresion) formation.

I almost have sure that those planes where flying on level.

I see this kind of scene and think : "damm, why the real pilot's could do and I'm cannot in IL2"

it's more because I'm very, very perfeccionist.

anyway, that's the way I think. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

FoolTrottel
04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
it's more because I'm very, very perfeccionist.
Try and lower the stick sensitivity settings, to way low...
Like this:
rudder=0 1 4 5 11 16 23 32 42 53 66 0

These are the ones Capt. Brown found giving the most true to real life feel of how the aircraft in IL2 react to control movements... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

But those make dogfights rather unpleasant, as your opponent will outmanouver you easily.

Maybe your sensitivity settings are too high... try and lower them, will result into less manouvrability, and so a more steady flight... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
(Just a thought...)

Wildnoob
04-22-2008, 12:53 PM
thanks for the reply, FoolTrottel. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I gonna use IL2 joy control, but I can't rigth now because my is computer is with some problems.

again, thanks for everybody help. I gonna stop of complaining and try make something real.

FoolTrottel
04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I gonna use IL2 joy control, but I can't rigth now because my is computer is with some problems.
Yeah, I read that somewhere.
Maybe IL2-Sticks can help here, as it does not have (nor need) an installation procedure / setup.exe thinghy... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
(And it comes with profiles, one of which is Capt.Brown's)

Wildnoob
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
IL2 joy control features the adjustmant of the elevator trim sensitivity, wich is vital for correct my problems. and I don't have acess to this feature in the windows joy control.

that's why I hope it will help. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M_Gunz
04-22-2008, 03:10 PM
How you hold and use the stick makes a big difference in control.
If you find yourself resting the weight of your hand/arm on the stick then you will not be able
to make fine movements, that weight needing to be overcome becomes a problem in itself.

Even imperfect trim that at least lets you stay near the center is far better than no trim at all.

EDIT:ADD

Whatever utility you use only changes parts of your conf.ini file which you can do using
Notepad for example. Finding which line to change should be your hardest problem, always
save your working copy with an easy to find name before trying any changes.

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0
SensitivityZ=1.0

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=0
U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
V=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
1X=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
1Y=0 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 86 93 100 20
1Z=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RX=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RY=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ=0 64 68 72 76 80 84 88 92 96 100 0
1U=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1V=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0

So not being able to use this or that utility should not be a stopper.

FoolTrottel
04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
IL2 joy control features the adjustmant of the elevator trim sensitivity, wich is vital for correct my problems.
IL2-Sticks can do that too.

Both basically offer a way of editing the conf.ini file other than with notepad... as M_Gunz showed us.

M_Gunz
04-23-2008, 05:30 AM
I think the hard part is identifying which line in conf.ini is which controller since they
are not always the same from one PC setup to the next.

Do we have to assign HOTAS axes to get all the lines to show up in the ini file?

FoolTrottel
04-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Do we have to assign HOTAS axes to get all the lines to show up in the ini file?
Yes.

I think the hard part is identifying which line in conf.ini is which controller since they
are not always the same from one PC setup to the next.
Very true.
That's exactly why I created the Profiles part of IL2-Sticks the way I did: In order to make the settings transferrable to others:
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
[rts_joystick]
flaps=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
power=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
rudder=0 1 4 5 11 16 23 32 42 53 66 0
trimaileron=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
trimelevator=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
</pre>
Sure, not waterproof, as not all ppl will use all possible axis.
(But, if I remember correctly, IL2-Sticks can handle those issues, should they occur...)

Wildnoob
04-23-2008, 03:53 PM
wat do you guys recommend, IL2 sticks or joy control ?

good to know IL2 sticks can also adjust elevator trim sensitivity.

Swivet
04-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Well i dont use the joystick for controlling trim. I have enough time shooting, turning, climbing and diving. I trim using keyboard arrow keys. That's the thing about the "trim" is that your constantly adjusting it..

Benses
04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
wat do you guys recommend, IL2 sticks or joy control ?

good to know IL2 sticks can also adjust elevator trim sensitivity.

I use Joy Control but that's because it was the first one I came across. They both do pretty much the same thing.

Ben

bolox00
04-24-2008, 02:25 AM
personally i use il2sticks, partly because it was first out. i also find the ability to use multiple profiles very useful for comparing changes.both work fine, just pick one and enjoy.

a big improvement from 'the dark ages' when we had to manually edit conf. ini http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Wildnoob, the vids you link all show formations of aircraft, i get a feeling you are trying to trim a plane to hold formation? this is a big step up in difficulty as you will be juggling throttle to hold position, causing constant small trim changes thus will be adding v. small smooth movements of rudder/stick.
relax,practice,anticipate,practice some more.
anticipation- when you add throttle you know torque will increase and there will be a tendancy to climb so as you add power feed in a tad of rudder and a very little forward stick. you should be almost 'breathe' on the controls not move them. the reverse applies as you reduce power.
start off quite far out (300-400m?) and when you can hold that try nearer.

hope this helps