PDA

View Full Version : Old original IL2 Sturmovik

PapaG39
08-11-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone still playes the "Old Original" IL2?
I seem to remember that it had quite a few fun single player scenarios on it.
I am really not a fan of this new flight modeling of il2+aep+pf. The quality of game play in the QMB has really suffered.
I have wasted to much $$ on new games trying to "find something fun to play but, I just keep running into worse games that are poorly done then even IL2 which is more or less" still the better of the bunch.

I have been toying with the idea of reinstalling the original IL2 just for grinns...maybe it will be like a new game for a while...lol...

3.JG51_BigBear
08-11-2005, 08:58 AM
I tried playing the original a couple weeks ago and I just couldn't go back. I really like the new flight model and the graphics of the original don't stand up anymore.

Instead of going back, I would suggest rolling back your version of FB+AEP+PF to the last version and downloading some of the excellent community made missions and campaigns or even picking up a third party campaign pack.

PapaG39
08-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah 3JG51...I have been toying with that idea myself. This new FM is o.k. for the most part. I have no problem with flying it however, I am not to happy with the way the AI turned out in QMB.
I just haven't been in the mood to do the uninstall & reinstall & putting all of the pieces back in again...

What was your main gripe against going back to IL2? The graphics or just the FM of the flying part?

FoolTrottel
08-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Why not just install The Original?
And go try and fly!
(The sounds are better, as in there's more to listen to.)
Hardest part will be finding some good offline missions/campaigns for it.. I know there are good ones .. can't remember their names though..

(Oh, and if you don't like it, uninstall it ...)

Have fun!

airdale1960
08-11-2005, 11:31 AM
I have FB/AEP/PF 4.01 and I bought IL-2 the other day with Silent hunter II, and Flanker 2.0. After installing it and patching to 1.2, I was wondering why they did not just add more planes and scenery to it. I started with FB in 2004, this is my 1st time with "The Original". It was voted flight sim of the year for a reason, it is just great fun!

Jumoschwanz
08-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Anyone who only "seems to remember", and has not actually played the original IL2 side by side within minutes of the other is just some kind of a dum@$$.
Also, you are all the more of a dum@$$ if you think with your lack of knowledge you are going to come in here and convince anybody with even only half a f*&king brain that the original IL2 was better and things have gone backwards since then.
You just needed some attention and picked this subject to cry about, as many forum doosh-bags have done in the past. WEll y ou got your attention, feel better j a c k a s s ?

Jumoschwanz

Edit: See you in 7 days.

BSS_Goat
08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
Anyone who only "seems to remember", and has not actually played the original IL2 side by side within minutes of the other is just some kind of a dum@$$.
Also, you are all the more of a dum@$$ if you think with your lack of knowledge you are going to come in here and convince anybody with even only half a f*&king brain that the original IL2 was better and things have gone backwards since then.
You just needed some attention and picked this subject to cry about, as many forum doosh-bags have done in the past. WEll y ou got your attention, feel better j a c k a s s ?

Jumoschwanz

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Bad day at work?

DayGlow
08-11-2005, 01:25 PM
I miss the whiz of the bullets flying past. May not be realistic but really made you pucker up when you came under heavy AA fire.

PapaG39
08-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey Jumoschwanz, What is your problem that you feel the need to put others down? Did you have a really bad day or something?
Good grief pordner..get a grip!

If you don't agree, that is your right...
At least keep things on a positive note...this is normally a friendly forum...

I just did install IL2 again & it is a hoot to fly.. I had forgotten how great the sounds were...I think I will mess around with it for a few days if that is alright with you???

PapaG39
08-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know for sure if track IR will work on the original IL2?

steve_v
08-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I have the "old" IL2 on my box, and found it is still the best introduction into our world. Every year, on New Years Day, there is a college football party at my house. IL2 is on the computer, and people love having a go at QMB, and the sound of a fly by still turns heads.

PapaG39
08-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Yes Steve...It does have some very good points that I wish had been passed along to FB.
The sound of bullets zipping by & loud explosions were one of its strong points...
I can't see where the graphics were all that bad either. I also can see the aircraft themselves better with my old eyes then I can see them on FB.
My CH Fighterstick/Pedals & Power levers work very well also.
Ha ha...if only I could get my track IR work it would be complete...lol...

FeiHu
08-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow:
I miss the whiz of the bullets flying past. May not be realistic but really made you pucker up when you came under heavy AA fire. I still fly IL2.Love the I-16 engine sounds,and the AA.Neet to see how the game has changed through the years.I would have to say I don't have a favorite between IL2&4.01m.Both games are still the best combat flight sims I have ever played. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

JFC_Slumped
08-11-2005, 08:21 PM
The only thing I prefer about the IL2 games prior to PF is that there are more than two engine sounds. i.e. one for V-12 and one for radial, that is realy shoddy.

han freak solo
08-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by steve_v:
I have the "old" IL2 on my box, and found it is still the best introduction into our world. Every year, on New Years Day, there is a college football party at my house. IL2 is on the computer, and people love having a go at QMB, and the sound of a fly by still turns heads.

Now, that's a great idea Steve! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Football fans love shootin' stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Platypus_1.JaVA
08-12-2005, 03:59 PM
I played Il-2 1.0 a month or so back and I kept pounding on buttons for functions that wheren't available in that version (prop pitch!!!!) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Really quite fun, the sound(modelling) of Il-2 1.0 is the best in the whole series. But, the sound was and is alsways the weakest point in Il-2/fb/aep/pf.

Slammin_
08-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by PapaG39:
Hey Jumoschwanz, What is your problem that you feel the need to put others down? Did you have a really bad day or something?

At least keep things on a positive note...this is normally a friendly forum...

I just did install IL2 again & it is a hoot to fly.. I had forgotten how great the sounds were...I think I will mess around with it for a few days if that is alright with you???

I think he probably feels the same shock I do whenever I visit these pages after a long haitus (sp). Seems like nothing but negative complaints, and when there is nothing new to complain about, dredge up some old.

Not saying that was your intent, because I too do get a kick just thinking about that old Yak-3 one-shot-two-kill gun. Man that was so much fun!

But really, you say:

"I am really not a fan of this new flight modeling of il2+aep+pf. The quality of game play in the QMB has really suffered."

and:

"I have wasted to much $$ on new games trying to "find something fun to play but, I just keep running into worse games that are poorly done then even IL2 which is more or less" still the better of the bunch."

Dunno man. You have asked for whatever slapping you get at this point.

mean_mango
08-17-2005, 05:59 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Original IL2 was really something. I miss the great sounds, almost as good as MSFS 2004. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Hard to explain, but it has a "lightness" too it that the modern version doesn't. Maybe it's the short load times and the high frame rates. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

The only reason I don't keep it installed is the lack of enhanced support for TrackIR.

Philipscdrw
08-18-2005, 04:16 AM
So, people like the sounds of the flyby and the sound of bullets passing the cockpit? I think those are of questionable realism - but perhaps they could be reintroduced as a realism option. It would have to be a realism option to keep everyone balanced when playing online. The sound of bullets missing you is helpful...

Kuna15
08-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I tried playing the original a couple weeks ago and I just couldn't go back. I really like the new flight model and the graphics of the original don't stand up anymore.

Instead of going back, I would suggest rolling back your version of FB+AEP+PF to the last version and downloading some of the excellent community made missions and campaigns or even picking up a third party campaign pack.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

RAC_Pips
08-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Read the original post and thought, good idea.

So I re-installed IL-2, and flew it for a bit. It is loads of fun to play. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Not better or worse than the current FB/PF game, after all they are really totally separate games. IL-2 original was, and still is, a great game.

After flying in version 1.0 mode I decided to add the 1.1a patch for the extra planes etc.

Bummer. Result was that after loading the 1.1 patch I couldn't get Direct X in viddeo mode, only Open GL. Thats really weird, can't remember that happening last time.

Anyone got any ideas what is the problem?

GAU-8
08-20-2005, 01:02 PM
i have it on my hard drive, and play it quite often.

there is something about it though i cant put my finger on that to me is the most realistic in any version of IL-2..

dont know what it is. maybe just the general combat in air "feel". its harder to get a kill in original than current version for me.you have to line up.. and hope you hit, because the plane is always moving slightly in an unpredictable yet natural manner.

just because your lined up at close range doesnt mean youll get the shot. variables seem much more random, yet realistic when taking gunnery to the skies.

i see it as just another version of IL-2 .. as others have said it. i find it "older" but thats it,. no less of a quality game. for what it LACKS. i find it the best representation of "general" air combat to introduce to new simmers

Beirut
08-21-2005, 05:17 AM
I still have the original IL2 installed and I think it's great.

When I'm in the mood for a massive battle, I can fill the air with dozens and dozens of planes, 100+, and have excellent FPS at full settings. With my AMD64-3000/9800Pro, I can't do that in PF with all the goodies turned up.

Granted the graphics are not as good (though still very nice!), but when you're furballing at 20k, bombers bombings, fighters fighting, smoke and debris and flames and burning airframes and crashing hulks filling the screen in every direction, you forget about the little differences between IL2 and PF and simply realize what a great time you're having. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

For eye candy and mission building, it's PF all the way. For huge air battles, it's IL2 original. At least until someone buys me an FX-57 system with two GF7800s in SLI.

Jumoschwanz
08-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by PapaG39:
Hey Jumoschwanz, What is your problem that you feel the need to put others down?(All part of living on planet dooshbag) Did you have a really bad day or something?

At least keep things on a positive note...this is normally a friendly forum...(Sure it is normally a friendly forum, because anyone that calls a spade a spade gets their f*&(king a$$ booted, so what the F*&(k else would it be?)

dixiechick1964
08-22-2005, 01:59 PM
dont let jumoshwatz or whatever his f#$%^ name is get you down by calling you a *******.. hes showing his *** and doesnt even know it..

yes, i still play the original IL2.. there are times i get tired of seeing the pacific, jap planes, and such and like to go back to the root of all the fun. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

CRSutton
08-22-2005, 03:40 PM
I just remember when I installed it for the first time and tried my first takeoff, how surprised I was when my sturmovik rolled over and killed me. I knew I was not in Kansas anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif