PDA

View Full Version : i actually like the hook blade

Grandmaster_Z
11-16-2011, 07:14 AM
i thought it was just gonna be a gimmick, but its pretty cool. i like how you can run toward a ledge and you press O and he slides and then hangs from the hook all in one smooth motion. What are the other things you can do with it?
I know you can sprint at enemies, then you press the hook button and you flip over them...can you kill them this way also? And one time i did that and ezio sweeped the guys legs out from under him with the hook...is it just random or how do you do these things?

timpbader
11-16-2011, 07:19 AM
I think the reaseon that certain things happen is very debateable. ?It might be 2 early on 2 confirm.

xCr0wnedNorris
11-16-2011, 07:21 AM
I think if you tap the "Open hand button" (O for PS3, B for 360, not sure about PC but I think it's right click), you'll do the flip and then try to injure or even kill them, if you hold it you just do the flip. When you're running at someone while not in "combat mode" and get close enough, hitting the open hand button makes you do a leg sweep, similar to tackling in the previous games. Then of course there're all the fancy kill animations that you can do in the game (BTW, the sword kill animations are ****ing BRUTAL. I like it...) Then there're ziplines that you can use, plus the whole spam the "Legs button" (X for PS3, A for 360, I think it's either shift or space for PC) while high profile while climbing and you basically scale the walls 3 times as fast. There's a lot you can do with the hookblade, and I've only played the game for a couple of hours.

misterB2001
11-16-2011, 07:39 AM
I love it, it feels very natural

pacmanate
11-16-2011, 08:18 AM
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> You can run past scaffolding and pull it down
<LI> Trip guards up
<LI> Vault over the guards and continue running
<LI> Vault over the guards and flip them over (judo)
<LI> Run to a lantern and hook yourself forwards
<LI> Use zip lines
<LI> I also found out if you use the zipline and come in from an angle and use the grab button, he will hook on and do a cool recovery animation
[/list]

WildBoar44
11-16-2011, 09:37 AM
LOL! i love the hook! its the most random thing ever but i like it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

vorenus73
11-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
i thought it was just gonna be a gimmick, but its pretty cool. i like how you can run toward a ledge and you press O and he slides and then hangs from the hook all in one smooth motion. What are the other things you can do with it?
I know you can sprint at enemies, then you press the hook button and you flip over them...can you kill them this way also? And one time i did that and ezio sweeped the guys legs out from under him with the hook...is it just random or how do you do these things?

I have the same feelings. When I first heard about the hook I thought it would be stupid... but after playing one night I think it is a REALLY great addition to the game. Zipline assassinations are too much fun!

Chronomancy
11-16-2011, 11:19 AM
The hookablade feels really clunky to me when climbing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

LightRey
11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I love the hookblade. Freerunning is now so much easier and much more dynamic.

souNdwAve89
11-16-2011, 11:28 AM
The hookblade is an awesome addition to the series. They did a great job trying to keep the series as fresh as possible. It really gives a unique feel to the Turkish Assassins and it gives us an idea that each guild around the world is different.

E-Zekiel
11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
I think it looks lame, but OMG I LOVE THE FUNCTIONALITY.

It makes climbing more interactive, and actually faster at the same time. I think the climbing speed was fun, but I wanted to comment on how unusual that is, to make something simultaneously more interactive but still faster somehow.

I also LOVE that it basically gives you the ability for counter-KOs (as opposed to kills). I KO a lot more than most players, so that one is big for me. In Brotherhood and AC2, if I wanted to KO someone that was actively attacking me, I would generally disarm them, drop the blade, throw them, then punch them till they were KO'd - or counter-KO if they swing at me.

Much quicker in AC:R! Just do a hookblade counter. Ezio will throw them and knock them out. A great addition to my arsenal, when I normally knock guards out from behind. Now even if they spot me, I can still do it relatively quickly and relatively stealthily without attracting as much attention as I would have otherwise. Thank you, developers!

CRUDFACE
11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I love the hook blade. I just wish the moves weren't locked to guards and people. You can only do a throw along with a hook and run on guards. But besides that, I love it.

Serrachio
11-16-2011, 04:55 PM
One thing I found slightly odd is that you have to press Cross/A to do an extended pull up with the Hookblade if you time it right, which slightly goes against the Climb Leap technique.

Also, it seems a little weird that the game tells you to hold down Circle/B for the Hook-and-Run, but when you do a Hook Throw, you only have to press it.

I'd have figured that throwing someone would have required the player to hold down the button and evading would just be one small press.

SleezeRocker
11-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Chronomancy:
The hookablade feels really clunky to me when climbing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

the hookblade is fun but yes..I feel rather slow when climbing(jump climb) with it, but still love it