PDA

View Full Version : Delayed entry carrier takeoffs

PhantomKira
10-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi gang, I'm trying to do a massive carrier strike, of the "Alpha Strike" (maximum effort) variety. I figure there were around 100 airplanes on an Essex class carrier, so I'm looking at about 80 airplanes, leave a few home for defense.

The way I've gone about this is by adjusting the start time for follow on flights (0, 2, 4, 6, etc minutes) which works fine so far as spawning is concerned, but I've run into an issue with the flights joining me. While they will join up and follow me without a problem, if they were not spawned at the start (0:0 time), they will not be available on the radio, even after they join me. Is there any way around this, or will I just have to resign 16 plane carrier based squadron flights to the AI?

WTE_Galway
10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by PhantomKira:
Hi gang, I'm trying to do a massive carrier strike, of the "Alpha Strike" (maximum effort) variety. I figure there were around 100 airplanes on an Essex class carrier, so I'm looking at about 80 airplanes, leave a few home for defense.

The way I've gone about this is by adjusting the start time for follow on flights (0, 2, 4, 6, etc minutes) which works fine so far as spawning is concerned, but I've run into an issue with the flights joining me. While they will join up and follow me without a problem, if they were not spawned at the start (0:0 time), they will not be available on the radio, even after they join me. Is there any way around this, or will I just have to resign 16 plane carrier based squadron flights to the AI?

What happens if you spawn some flights already in the air at the same time as your initial flight on the deck ?

PhantomKira
10-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I could do that (it works just fine), but then they won't all have taken off from the carrier. I'm a stickler for little specifics like that.

Rather like air starts. I hate air starts. I know it's just a small part of the mission, but still, I feel it's a critical part.

WTE_Galway
10-27-2010, 07:33 PM
I could do that (it works just fine), but then they won't all have taken off from the carrier. I'm a stickler for little specifics like that.

Rather like air starts. I hate air starts. I know it's just a small part of the mission, but still, I feel it's a critical part.

Oh ok, so you want to take off wait for the rest of the flights to also take off and then proceed on the mission ? Tricky.

Even assuming you get it to work you will be circling around a fair while for AI to get 100 aircraft in the air.

Is their any reason the players aircraft needs to be in the first flight to leave the deck ?

PhantomKira
10-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Oh, getting them into the air and formed up isn't the issue, it's getting them back down again all in one piece that's the problem. I've had a flight of 16 take almost half again as long as the mission did just to all get back aboard at the end!

Not sure about why the player has to be the first to leave... except that the flights that are second, third etc aren't spawned immediately at start, which would mean waiting around without an airplane until yours spawned. None too popular, I'd think. Then again, when you look at how short the original campaign flights were (Iwo Jima in particular), not to mention just how many fighters you ran up against (never ending supply), that was just silly. Unfortunately, that was the attention span of the average IL2 person back in the day, before it was ceded to the more history prone types later on as the short timers moved on.

Anyhow, my original issue stands: those flights that are not on the map at start will not be able to be on the player's radio frequency - even after those flights have formed up with the player.

Troll2k
10-28-2010, 03:07 PM
You might try posting down the hall in the Mission Builders forum.

Aviar
10-28-2010, 04:50 PM

Not sure about why the player has to be the first to leave... except that the flights that are second, third etc aren't spawned immediately at start, which would mean waiting around without an airplane until yours spawned.

No human player can be in a flight that has a delayed spawn time......just think about it... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Aviar