PDA

View Full Version : Let`s talk about views??? Post what you think and i`ll try to deliver it...

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Greetings all.
Let`s talk a bit about views.
I know it`s pretty old and all beaten up subject...but still. I believe that more options would be a nice addition.

First, many mentioned it and i guess i`ll repeat it..
External views should be optional IMO, lets say:

1) Available, meaning: The way it is now.

2) Available but limited, meaning : Allows to see enemy or friendlies in flight, fight ...whatever, only
while parked on the runway...either before take off or
after landing, crashing...etc. At the point where "refly" option available.

3) Not available.

Icons:

1) Available with distance limitations (adjustable right in difficulties settings)

2) Available but dots, meaning...intead of flying
number with the call sign attach to it...just simple
red or blue dot.. don`t matter what size.

3) Not available.

And third thing it`s kind of icons related.. I didn`t play too many games besides for IL2/FB... But i saw this way of determination of friend/foe in "Call of Duty" ...whoever played the demo saw that if you point crosshair on friendly, name appears...on enemy, nothing comes up. I think it would be cool to have something similar in FB...limited to say...1KM? That way we don`t need icons at all. I don`t know if it`s a bad idea or a good one. Personally i like it.

V!

Regards,
VFC*Crazyivan
http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

"No matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down." Ivan Kozhedub

Message Edited on 09/03/0311:02PM by crazyivan1970

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Greetings all.
Let`s talk a bit about views.
I know it`s pretty old and all beaten up subject...but still. I believe that more options would be a nice addition.

First, many mentioned it and i guess i`ll repeat it..
External views should be optional IMO, lets say:

1) Available, meaning: The way it is now.

2) Available but limited, meaning : Allows to see enemy or friendlies in flight, fight ...whatever, only
while parked on the runway...either before take off or
after landing, crashing...etc. At the point where "refly" option available.

3) Not available.

Icons:

1) Available with distance limitations (adjustable right in difficulties settings)

2) Available but dots, meaning...intead of flying
number with the call sign attach to it...just simple
red or blue dot.. don`t matter what size.

3) Not available.

And third thing it`s kind of icons related.. I didn`t play too many games besides for IL2/FB... But i saw this way of determination of friend/foe in "Call of Duty" ...whoever played the demo saw that if you point crosshair on friendly, name appears...on enemy, nothing comes up. I think it would be cool to have something similar in FB...limited to say...1KM? That way we don`t need icons at all. I don`t know if it`s a bad idea or a good one. Personally i like it.

V!

Regards,
VFC*Crazyivan

"No matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down." Ivan Kozhedub

Message Edited on 09/03/0311:02PM by crazyivan1970

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 10:47 PM
Hey Ivan,

Lots of us have been wanting an externals after dead for COOPs option. We hate having a good bounce ruined by external padlock, but, really appreciate having them after getting shot down.

For dogfights, I don't understand why anyone would want externals. You can just respawn anyway.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 10:49 PM
crazyivan1970 wrote:

- And third thing it`s kind of icons related.. I
- didn`t play too many games besides for IL2/FB... But
- i saw this way of determination of friend/foe in
- "Call of Duty" ...whoever played the demo saw that
- if you point crosshair on friendly, name
- appears...on enemy, nothing comes up. I think it
- would be cool to have something similar in
- FB...limited to say...1KM? That way we don`t need
- icons at all. I don`t know if it`s a bad idea or a
- good one. Personally i like it.
-
-
- V!
-
-
-
- Regards,
- VFC*Crazyivan

This would be the best in my opinion. And it does not even have to display anything, I mean maybe some sort of another visible or audible acquisition of friendly target like the targeting reticule can change color for an eyewink or some quick sound beep may come in handy. I don't quite like the idea of floating text above the aircraft...hm...don't know.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 10:57 PM
faustnik wrote:
- Hey Ivan,
-
- Lots of us have been wanting an externals after dead
- for COOPs option. We hate having a good bounce
- ruined by external padlock, but, really appreciate
- having them after getting shot down.
-
- For dogfights, I don't understand why anyone would
- want externals. You can just respawn anyway.
-
-

Hey faustnik! My answer rather simple... i would like to watch some DF`s as well mate. Optional externals needed on DF servers as much as in COOPs IMO.

Regards,
VFC*Crazyivan

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 11:09 PM
crazyivan1970 wrote:

- Hey faustnik! My answer rather simple... i would
- like to watch some DF`s as well mate. Optional
- externals needed on DF servers as much as in COOPs
- IMO.

That makes sense Ivan. The same option, externals when dead or on the ground only, would work great for that too. In flight externals really suck though.

Icons are OK, but, I like the challenge of having to ID aircraft. It adds to the excitement when you rush up behind a target only to discover it is a friendly.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 11:16 PM
faustnik wrote:

- Icons are OK, but, I like the challenge of having to
- ID aircraft. It adds to the excitement when you
- rush up behind a target only to discover it is a
- friendly.
-
-

Partially agree with you there bud...
Having no icons at all wouldn`t be fair to the people who doesn`t have top of the line PC`s. IDing aircraft whole alot harder on low end machines IMO. Besides...in the real life you will tell a difference between ME109 and LA5 from say 1km... in FB it`s not always the case, even on powerful rigs. Some kind of identification would be nice...still. Even a little red/blue dot at limited distances... i think 1000m is perfect.

V!

Regards,
VFC*Crazyivan

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 11:40 PM
OK Ivan,

I can accept a colored dot at 1000m. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif That's a good point about different PC capabilities.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 12:01 AM
Ivan alot of these options are great for people who fly fullreal all the time

But I go bolth wayes & I like externals the way they are now

& Id like to also have some of your external options

so as long as your not trying to strip away external view @ 3km in non full real servers Id love to see some of your ideas implimented for fullreal server situations

also my idea of having fun is not looking for tiny specs flying on the ground while im @ 5k its simply redicules

Full real in this sim is not real @ all its just harder thats it...

the reason I say this is because Ive spoken with many real pilots who say that the ability to move your head realisticaly in the cockpit gave you a much wider range of vision than we currentaly have in fb IE camera on a swivel

we cant raise our seats or lean our heads left or right & we cant crane our neck either then you must rember that during all of that your eyes are very very fast & can swivel around themselves wich gives you even more scaning speed & vision overall thats why I prefer flying open pit

<center> http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_109_1062480429.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 12:03 AM
Hey Ivan. I love the full real servers. I don't need to see my skin. Although I like to have the most historical possible. I fly Luftwaffe which means swastica. Im not a nazi, just a history buff. Anyway, I am debating to use padlock or not. It seems with padlock on, more kills are recorded. Im not sure if its realistic. I think something should be done with icons as resolution with the pc is not like the Mk 1 eyeball! Limited icons of some sort are a neccesity. Ive killed more than one friendly in full real servers!

http://www.tullisart.com/images/Me163.jpg

<center>http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/images/mash_henry_blake.jpg (http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/)</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:09 AM
* Externals on ground only

* Icons
- No range, Flight number only
- visible 3km(grey)
- Friend/Foe distinction(Red/Blue) at 2km.

* Map Icons
- Friendly Only

IMO, these three would be optimum for balance between gameplay and realism.

I wouldn't mind a no-icon, no-map icon game if the people I am flying with are all my squad members, continuously communicating their positions and enemy contacts, checking each other's 6 Oc's and etc. But as it is, even those in the same team rarely check each other, or confirm enemy positions - it sort of becomes a large-scale lone-wolf mission, searching around vast area of voidness until you see something.

That, can also be fun if you had hours to play this game, but if you don't.. well.. it kinda gets boring.

The third Map Icon option for friendlies, would at least notify the positions of frdly fighters, indicating the presence of enemy by analyzing their movements. Think of it as radar operators giving you the general heading on enemy directions.

It is vital to note that realism, without the realistic conditions, often tends to make a game very stale. If there is a guarantee that everybody is obligated to communicate and report enemy positions and actions, I wouldn't mind the 'full-real set', but if it is not, since no one else is going to do what everybody did in real-life, might as well let the system take care of it.

-----------
Due to pressure from the moderators, the sig returns to..

"It's the machine, not the man." - Materialist, and proud of it!

Message Edited on 09/04/0309:11AM by kweassa

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 02:18 AM
I have found that using externals only helps to a point. You wind up seeing yourself get shot up if you arent paying attention to what your plane is doing from inside, either in the pit or in the open view but you can only stay outside the plane for so long against a pilot worth his stick. I use them and have no problem with others using them.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 04:07 AM
Externals on, Cockpit on, PL on, Icons on, and minimap path on please. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Speed bar I could take or leave.

Externals for allieviating boredom, watchign action and checking skins. PL because it's more natural and more realistic. Icons to make up for the lack of natual eye res. And minimap path to eliminate having to futz with learning the land marks (which dn't exist in some areas).

Oh yeah, and unlimited planes on both sides (well, maybe save for jets).

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 05:26 AM
I need externals to play since I have to load textures into my system memory to avoid pauses.

I suppose what would be great would be on the ground-only externals!

tata OJ

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 06:27 AM
On one hand, fighters that don't do so well as duelists (P-47, IL-2, P-40 etc.) can have more of a chance by being able to sneak up on opponents.

On the other hand, its really nice to watch the fights, look at skins and admire the view.

Preferrably, I'd like to have externals enabled on the ground, and disabled when you start to fly. I don't like icons at all, but I think the current settings availible for them is ok.

Maybe what might be done would be to enable the same external limits that the PL and external PL have - you can only view aircraft with crtlF2 & shiftF2 operating in a 2km radius. On the ground that limit is removed.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 09:07 AM
when i host i have frendly icons on , set to dissapere totally at 2 KM

, only ID icon showing

depending on map no map icon at all ( i mean some maps you dont need minimap path )

outside view is for fun ......
cockpit locked is for when you feel more serious

take your pick on the night i say

but i enjoy both views more with Freindly ID icons set to short distance