PDA

View Full Version : Manual mixture controls

Hazzea
12-02-2004, 12:13 AM
I run the FB+AEP+PF installation and I'm confused about the manual mixture function. On many planes, especially "old" aircrafts from FB and AEP, I can't manually change the mixture anymore. I've set up two keys that change the mixture incrementally, and it works with some planes like I-16, F4F-3, but for example with the Spitfires, Mustangs, Hurricanes, P-40s, P-39s it doesn't work. I know that some planes had automixture, but I reckon that those I've mentioned had manual mixture control?
Is this some kind of bug, or should it be like this? (I think the same problem occurs with the supercharger function on many planes)
I've also noticed that many gauges in the cockpits are static, as the magneto switches in the Spitfire/Seafire cockpits. I don't remember if they were static in the AEP-installation too?

Hazzea
12-02-2004, 12:13 AM
I run the FB+AEP+PF installation and I'm confused about the manual mixture function. On many planes, especially "old" aircrafts from FB and AEP, I can't manually change the mixture anymore. I've set up two keys that change the mixture incrementally, and it works with some planes like I-16, F4F-3, but for example with the Spitfires, Mustangs, Hurricanes, P-40s, P-39s it doesn't work. I know that some planes had automixture, but I reckon that those I've mentioned had manual mixture control?
Is this some kind of bug, or should it be like this? (I think the same problem occurs with the supercharger function on many planes)
I've also noticed that many gauges in the cockpits are static, as the magneto switches in the Spitfire/Seafire cockpits. I don't remember if they were static in the AEP-installation too?

Jason Bourne
12-02-2004, 11:52 AM
If you cant change the mix, it probaly means they dont have enough data on the engine performance, or that they havent coded it yet, or that it did infact have auto mixture. As for FI stages, if you cant change it, it probaly is automatic.

FI = Forced Induction, ie. Turbochargers and Superchargers.

Fliger747
12-02-2004, 12:00 PM
All of the R2800 powered aircraft had various mixture settings. Idle cutoff, Full rich, Auto Rich and Auto Lean. Full rich used for start and takoff, auto rich for climb and combat and auto lean for cruise and descent (more or less).

The venturis and sensors in the fuel control unit adjusted the fuel flow for throttle settings and altitude. Manual leaning was not necessary. Though a simpler system now portrayed, it is probably more realistic.

This is all for the R2800, F4U, F6F, P47.