PDA

View Full Version : I don't know how any pc gamer could buy a game from these morons

ARustyFirePlace
11-24-2011, 07:19 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11...se-its-not-worth-it/ (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/24/ubisoft-i-am-alive-skipping-pc-because-its-not-worth-it/)

read that, what a slap in the face to pc gamers.

you can keep your game ubisoft, pre-order for the animus edition cancelled.

sassinscreed
11-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by ARustyFirePlace:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11...se-its-not-worth-it/ (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/24/ubisoft-i-am-alive-skipping-pc-because-its-not-worth-it/)

and they wonder why they have low pc sales...

iN3krO
11-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Ps3 and Xbox has already been pirated too... the problem is that if u have ps3 pirated to play AcR u won't be able to play call of duty online for example while in pc u can have some games pirated and can play others online (if bought).

Anyway, i might be an example of a good gamer, i first pirate games i'm not sure i might buy or not and if i like them i just buy.

They do nothing about DRM for ps3 and xbox even if it's even easier to pirate in those consoles then in pc.

Ubisoft u really deserve no sells in pc games!

PC gaming is much stronger then ps3 or xbox gaming.

CoD4 is still highly played in pc.. not likely to be that much in ps3/xbobx.

Counter-Strike is still one of the most played games... there is no game with 12 years still with that ammount of players on console.

I understand Uncharted being ps3 only since it's made by naughty dog but why will you do a game console only?

I'm really disappointed -.-'

Ichthys91
11-24-2011, 11:07 AM

They've already slapped us with their DRM schemes.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/11/aug/gas4600.jpg

rain89c
11-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Heh, I been canceled my AC:R pre-order since the early leak of AC:R yesterday.
Not only because of that, when I want to pay $$ for their games, they don;t have the version I want in the U.S. So even when offering my wallet, they do not carry versions I would want to spend $$ on. pfft
and NOT only that, they delay the damn pc version every damn time.

I Am Alive was a game I was looking forward to too.

dmzct
11-24-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure what's more offensive. On one hand, you have Ubisoft basically saying that it's just not "worth it" to continue fostering their PC gamer base. On the other hand, they've tastelessly characterized what their customers do as "" and "making noise."

This is pretty appalling behavior, and if the hemming and hawing about continuing to do PC games doesn't put you off, the company's ungrateful and dismissive attitude toward their customers (as if the customers' "" and noise-making is bothersome) definitely should.

I agree with the OP. Cancel your pre-orders and let the company know why.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span>

------

Are you kidding?

1. I _didn't_ bypass your language filter; it censored my words just like it was designed to.

2. I was _directly quoting_ one of your developers who didn't think the language was bad enough to keep him from using it in an interview he knew would be reproduced all over gaming sites on the internet.

thornebrook
11-25-2011, 03:25 AM
I'm confused. Why is "50,000 people" considered a bad figure in this context? It's still 50,000 people buying a pre-existing game that the company will presumably have already made profit on from the console sales (considering Ubisoft's delaying tactics for PC versions and their prediction of better sales on consoles). If they cut even more corners and just sell digital editions instead of physical copies, a prediction of 50,000 purchases should still cover the porting labor costs and provide some sort of profit if sold at $30+ per sale.

To be fair, I hadn't even heard about this I Am Alive game before now...I can understand the fear of losing money when introducing a new title to the market. But I hope whoever was interviewed in that article doesn't speak for all of Ubisoft. If the game is good, people will pay. Unless the company's being a jerk. :/

obliviondoll
11-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by thornebrook:
I'm confused. Why is "50,000 people" considered a bad figure in this context? It's still 50,000 people buying a pre-existing game that the company will presumably have already made profit on from the console sales (considering Ubisoft's delaying tactics for PC versions and their prediction of better sales on consoles). If they cut even more corners and just sell digital editions instead of physical copies, a prediction of 50,000 purchases should still cover the porting labor costs and provide some sort of profit if sold at $30+ per sale.

To be fair, I hadn't even heard about this I Am Alive game before now...I can understand the fear of losing money when introducing a new title to the market. But I hope whoever was interviewed in that article doesn't speak for all of Ubisoft. If the game is good, people will pay. Unless the company's being a jerk. :/
Using bite-sized quotes to explain their logic...

"12 guys" x "3 months" x (my estimated salary of programmer: $40,000 per year) = $120,000

Production costs of game discs, boxes, etc = about $10 per copy x 100,000 (to sell 50,000 copies, expect to need twice as many to be made) = $1,000,000

To make a profit on 50,000 copies, assuming advertising is free, they need the following equation:

1,120,000 ÷ 50,000 = 22.50

Average sale price of game to store needs to be at least $22.50 for Ubisoft to make a profit. Again, this is assuming no advertising needs to be done, or the advertising budget will be covered by the console market (pro-tip: If they're not making a PC version, it WILL).

This price will SKYROCKET as soon as they make more than 100,000 copies though, and to avoid risks of looking stupid, having 200,000 or more copies is actually still reasonable when only expecting to sell 50,000 of them.

So yeah, "only" 50,000 sales is actually a pretty big deal-breaker until you move to being download-only. Maybe they could try that option, it saves just a little tiny bit on production costs...

iN3krO
11-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Obliviondoll tell me what DVD they are buying cuz i want dDVD's like those...

Let's say a programmer has a salary of 3000€/month (this is an european studio) and that each box + disc costs 5€ ($10 is just over priced).

Let's say that 15k of those customers are digital customers.

Programmers would cost: 108 000€
Boxes + Disc would cost: 175 000€
Server to host the game for download bla bla bla would be totally free (they already have servers).

It would end on a cost of 283 000€

Let's say that 5k of the digital customers are directly from ubi store, the full money would revert into ubisoft (50€/copy).

Other digital distributers and physical retailers buy the game for 20€+ports

Ubi Digital Customers: 250 000
Other Customers: 900 000

Total income: 1 150 000

Profit: 867 000€

Besides, i'm sure the boxes + discs are not that expensive... maybe the programmers have higher salary but even then, the salary of them is not that high comparing the money wasted on boxes + disc. Oh and there are surely more customers then just 50k http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif How could my values be so different from reality that 867k aproximatly profit would end in not protitable?

thornebrook
11-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the breakdown, guys, I appreciate it. I'm not very familiar with the costs for selling a PC port of a console game, so this is pretty helpful for me.

Razrback16
11-25-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the link. The author made a great point at the end basically disproving Ubisoft and pointing them right back to reality: Ubisoft has bad management and PR. They have for years. Their executives should be groveling before the people who come up with the ideas for games like Assassin's Creed. If it was those bumbling idiot executives, they would be long since out of business.

I can only laugh when people point out (like the author did) that other companies are making good profits when they release games on PC ON-TIME without giving the PC Game fanbase the middle finger like Ubisoft consistently does with Creed and other titles with late releases, and leaving things out that are exclusive to specific consoles.

But keep it up Ubisoft...sure sounds like a winning strategy to keep developing games for 7-year-old DirectX 9 console technology instead of present-day PC technology. Go look at games like Arkham City & Crysis 2 that take advantage of DirectX 11 technology, tesselation, and all the new lighting technology with reflection, etc. I can't even imagine how great a Creed game would look if it was on modern day technology.

Improvizor
11-25-2011, 04:40 PM
I doubt that I'll ever buy a game from Ubisoft after Desmond's story is over. But right now they have me by the balls. AC is too awesome and I'll buy Revelations and Assassin's Creed 3. After that, if Ubisoft doesn't change their policy regarding PC gamers, we will go our separate ways.

salad10203
11-26-2011, 05:23 AM
As much as I dislike their DRM methods, there is nothing wrong with these decisions. "I Am Alive" and "Ghost Recon: Future Soldier" most likely would've sold much less than Assassins Creed. Like the guy said, if the costs don't meet the benfit, why port? Obviously they are still porting Assassins Creed so it must be selling well.

AntiChrist7
11-26-2011, 06:21 AM
its a company, not a charity organisation. THey are doing great work with AC, and its only because i already spent a few 100€'s on games this year, or i would have bought anno 2070 too

Oxford_of_Dale
11-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I love Assassin's Creed, but I detest the selfish, ignorant, discriminating way they treat the PC community. Utterly disappointing news.

salad10203
11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Its almost as if people have individual thoughts and don't have to follow every stupid protest that pops up every week.

iMBUE_
11-28-2011, 09:09 PM
“We’ve heard loud and clear that PC gamers are *****ing about there being no version for them, but are these people just making noise just because there’s no version or because it’s a game they actually want to play?"

Ubisoft. The 1% percent.

This particular branch (I hope it's just this branch,) doesn't care.

They.Don't.Care. Gold-diggers.

lucifero2114
11-28-2011, 10:23 PM
<span class="ev_code_RED">[Content Removed]</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">Try being a little more tasteful next time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </span>

salad10203
11-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Do you guys realize how stupid you sound? Honestly, they still ported Assassins Creed and dropped the online requirement, this kind of reaction to consumer sentiment is not present in almost any industry. I will accept a thank you because my purchase will be keeping PC gaming alive, your welcome.