PDA

View Full Version : My solution to TrackIR stutters

StellarRat
11-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Problem: After unplugging all USB devices for new memory install, then reattaching, machine begins to have stutters after about five minutes of flying. Believe this is caused by TrackIR software bug due to other peoples posts I've read.

Solution: Use RegEdit to remove all entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CONTROLSETxxx - ENUM - USB - Vid_xxxxxx - whatever reg key refers to TrackIR, joystick, keyboard, printer, or other flight control device. NOTE: Need to change permissions on key to everyone to allow removal (right click on key to bring permissions menu.) They maybe multiple controlsets on your machine. I removed entries under all of them.

Had to remove and reinstall TrackIR software after I did this.

WARNING: Do not remove key entries referring to your mouse or storage devices. If you delete mouse entry you will lose mouse until reboot. Further, although I deleted keyboard keys this disabled my keyboard until I rebooted. Not a problem if you still have mouse working.

Reason: TrackIR software seems to have bug that causes stutters if multiple entries appear in USB port ENUM.

Explanation: When any USB device is moved to a different USB port an entry remains in registry for device under old port. By removing registry entries PC is forced to rediscover all flight control devices on reboot and only one entry is put into registry for each. Will improve reboot and shutdown speed of your PC.

BaldieJr
11-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I had problems with this. TiR will poo all over the registry and wont wipe up afterwards.

The firewall/antivirus software I use blocks registry access to specified apps. I have it set to block NP's software. No more registry poo-poo.

I asked NP for a 64bit driver and fix for tir2's drivers and they made up some lame excuses. I'm not going to purchase from them again. I don't think they know what they're doing and thats a shame. A niche product should be groomed like a $50,000 dog.

StellarRat
11-08-2005, 01:02 PM
BaldieJr, it is worthwhile noting that this really has nothing to do with NaturalPoints software. It is a MS-OS thing. All USB devices will leave entries in section of the registry I'm talking about. It's just that Natural Point doesn't seem to handle the duplicates gracefully. BTW, there are 64 bit drivers in the latest version of the TrackIR software, but I don't think TrackIR 2 is supported in version 4.0 of their software.

georgeo76
11-08-2005, 01:06 PM
You would expect premium quality to go along with the price.

A niche product should be groomed like a $50,000 dog.

BaldieJr
11-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by StellarRat:
BaldieJr, it is worthwhile noting that this really has nothing to do with NaturalPoints software. It is a MS-OS thing. All USB devices will leave entries in section of the registry I'm talking about. It's just that Natural Point doesn't seem to handle the duplicates gracefully. BTW, there are 64 bit drivers in the latest version of the TrackIR software, but I don't think TrackIR 2 is supported in version 4.0 of their software.

It has everything to do with NP.

I have lots of usb devices that don't recusively write the same key+itself repeatedly.

Plus: np will not fix the old drivers nor will they port them. There is no reason for this. They need only to fix a few known bugs (and recompile for us 64bit owners). The time/work involved is minimal but NP will not do it. Its as if I am supposed to upgrade a 3rd time.

Well, I can understand thier delima (being in a niche market and trying to show a profit) but if they can't commit to me I can't commit to them.

They should fix thier drivers and they should port Tir2 to 64bit. Thats good business.

StellarRat
11-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Well, I found duplicates for my MS Joystick, MS Strategic Commander, Saitek Keyboard and Logitech Mouse. All different companies. If you move a device to a different port without reinstalling the drivers how would the driver software know to remove the old entries? Seems like a bit much to expect. This appears to industry practice.

BaldieJr
11-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Sure. Thats great.

But i'm talking about random recursive junk. So much of it that deletion took 10 full minutes and required that I defrag the drive afterwards . My registry size was halfed after the procedure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Thats not normal operation.

StellarRat
11-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I didn't realize you had had such a big mess. Something definitely went heywire with your TrackIR software. I only had to remove a few entries, maybe 10. Of course, I know nothing about older versions of the software. 4.0 doesn't seem to have this problem.