PDA

View Full Version : Flaps and gliding

hugohugo37
11-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Say your engine is out and you want to glide as far as you can. What flap settings would you use? Any other tips?

Thanks

p-11.cAce
11-22-2005, 09:58 AM
I personally go to combat flaps and just play with trim until the VSI is not showing a terrible descent. Once I get to normal pattern altitude I nose over to pick up excess speed, dump the gear and the rest of the flaps and dead land on the clearest spot I can find. (I fly a blanik L-13 sailplane in real life so deadsticks don't bother me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

LameDuck.
11-22-2005, 01:14 PM
I would expect
"as far as I can" =maximize E =minimize drag.
Therefore, I would go slight negative pitch, no flaps, fold in the mirrors, and hope the bad guys don't notice. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

danjama
11-22-2005, 01:27 PM
No flaps necessary, just shallow dive.

neural_dream
11-22-2005, 01:29 PM
flaps decrease energy, and that's pretty much it.

Opiate364
11-22-2005, 01:35 PM
If you have a decent altitiude, descend so that your speed and altitude allow you the most time in the air. While the flaps provide lift, they also create drag that will slow your plane. As you get closer to the ground and your speed decreases, lower your flaps in increments so that you can have a smooth landing.

Viper2005_
11-22-2005, 02:04 PM
My in game engine failure checklist is:

<span class="ev_code_RED"> Attitude - Attain level flight and unload

Ordanance - Jettison

Undercarriage - Up

Flaps - Ip above 250 feet

Fire Extinguishers - Discharge as required

Speed - Slow down to stop the prop from windmilling

Airscrew - Set for minimum rpm "prop pitch 0%" or feather if possible

Radiator - Closed

Pitch - For best glide or minimum sink rate as required

Trim - As required
</span>
At this point you should be in a minimum drag configuration ready to plan a circuit into whatever space is available.

You can probably rearrange this checklist to make it more memorable - but don't mix up your priorities. At low altitude you might not have time to get through the whole list.

Planning is key to a safe glide landing.

If there's no runway it's probably prudent to keep the undercarriage up - that way you greatly increase your chances of stopping the right way up in most types.

Energy management is critical, especially in the early stages - if your engine stops at low level, convert speed to height in order to buy some thinking time.

Once you're below 200 feet or so it really isn't worth cleaning up the aircraft - you're better off watching your speed and making certain that you don't stall at the last minute.

Flaps are not a get-out-of-jail-free card here as they greatly increase drag. You'll probably get most of your lift by the time you're at the "takeoff" detent - thereafter you'll simply increase drag.

It's a good idea to investigate the glide performance of your chosen aircraft offline so that you can make rapid, intelligent planning decisions.

For example, experience tells me that my Fw-190A9 likes to glide at about 250 km/h IAS, and will make about 10:1 if I'm careful.

However, it's a good idea to budget about 1000 m for the circuit in order to leave time and space for error.

It's better to be high than low; it's a lot easier to bin energy than it is to make it when you're deadstick!

If you need to come down faster, sideslip is very effective. If you've taken wing damage make sure not to slip in the critical direction (ie with damage to the left wing, never slip by application of left rudder) as otherwise you greatly increase your risk of departure.

Don't "play" with flaps and gear for approach control.

Once you drop them, leave them down. In game, doing otherwise will greatly increase your cockpit workload at the wrong time, and could leave you "out of sequence".

Don't forget that flaps and gear take time to deploy.

If you use sideslip for approach control, remember to "kick the drift" before touchdown, otherwise you risk ripping the gear off.

Above all, don't forget to dump your external stores ASAP - landing on an SC500 or similar is unlikely to be good for your health, and you don't need the extra drag (which reduces your gliding distance) and weight (which increases your sink rate).

Finally, if it's looking nasty and you've got more than about 800 feet in hand, don't be afraid to use your parachute.

Dead heros are still Dead.

DmdSeeker
11-22-2005, 02:22 PM
I think you'll find the optimum glide speed is very close to the optimum climb speed.

So: Clean the aeroplane up as much as possible (no flaps); feather the prop if possible; trim for your best climb speed and wait for the landing...

Freelancer-1
11-22-2005, 02:36 PM
The only reason I ever drop the flaps is if it looks like I may overshoot my carefully selected landing spot(hopefully an airfield). You only have one shot at it and too much speed is as bad as a stall with no engine.

If you're over 3000 meters and not being shot at, you have plenty of time to formulate a strategy and work things out.

If you really like to have fun and your flying something with a tricyle gear, you can slam it down on an enemy airfield lean on the brakes and hit refly. You'll stil get an RTB.

Viper2005_
11-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1
If you really like to have fun and your flying something with a tricyle gear, you can slam it down on an enemy airfield lean on the brakes and hit refly. You'll stil get an RTB.

Interesting...