PDA

View Full Version : newbie guide to convergence

deskpilot
09-05-2008, 05:09 AM
many thanks for all your replies to my last post.
I'm flying the tempest and am reasoning thus: A balance must be struck between setting gun convergence too close so eg when attacking bombers you can't shoot them before their defensive guns shoot you, and setting it too far away so you fire too soon and miss all the time. currently my 20mm hispannos are set to 400 m. Is this good, bad or ugly? I'm finding I quite often get hit by a bombers defensive guns. What are good convergence distances for 303 brownings, or 50 calibers?

Metatron_123
09-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Well I think the norm is 250-300m, except for planes with centrally mounted guns, and I believe attacking bombers has more to do with finding a blind spot and swooping down or up on them unexpectedly, rather than the distance from which you shoot at them.

TinyTim
09-05-2008, 05:30 AM
I set convergence to
120-150m versus fighters,
200-250m versus bombers
250-350m versus ground targets.

gdfo
09-05-2008, 05:45 AM
It is my opinion that in this game it is better to experiment with convergence based on the ac you are using and the mission type.

Since this is a game and as good as it is, it does not represent reality, you want to have a good gaming experience, which is why you play anyway.

Some fighter pilot players like a short convergence. Depending on the plane, like it longer,300 to 350 works good for me. For ground straffing the farther the better,1000, for bombers I set C to 1000.

WOLFPLAYER2007
09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
I set cannon convergence to 100 and machine guns to 300, in my opinion anything above 150 to cannons take out for what they were done for.. heavy hits...if you set the convergence of cannons to far they lose power and the bullets will drop to early because cannons got heavier rounds than machine guns... when i fly the Fw190 usually i rip off a b29 wing with just a few cannon bursts in this convergence, but you also must learn how to properly attack a heavy bomber without being crushed by its defensive fire.

Now for fighters i use more the machine guns and when they lose the ability to turn because of the damages, than i use the cannon and usually they explode in the air.