PDA

View Full Version : A Question about Sound

zxwings
03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
In this sim, can you hear a bandit closing on your dead six?

I have never heard such sounds from behind, but it seems that some people can. So is it a matter of sound settings in IL2? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Choctaw111
03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Well, some people say it depends on what kind of hardware you have. You can hear it if they get really close. You can hear gunfire behind you a lot better. But the best thing is to NEVER fly in a straight line for too long. ALWAYS weave back and fourth and look behind you to prevent such a thing from happening in the first place.

zxwings
03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Thank you for your information and advice!

If I have the right hardware that enables me to hear a bandit closing on my six, then how near must he be for me to hear? Can I hear him when he is, for instance, 150m away from me?

Choctaw111
03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by zxwings:
Thank you for your information and advice!

If I have the right hardware that enables me to hear a bandit closing on my six, then how near must he be for me to hear? Can I hear him when he is, for instance, 150m away from me?

Again, maybe. Why don't you try and set something up in the Quick Mission Builder and get a feel for how the sound works on your PC. Set up a bunch of "good guys" and "bad guys" or just "good guys" if you don't want to get shot at. Then you can fly close to them and see how loud they sound.

zxwings
03-05-2008, 10:36 PM
I mean, if one has the right hardware... Well, I myself don't have it now.

I experience such situations very often when playing online or offline, and never hear any sounds from behind http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The only time I heard the noise of an enemy aircraft was when he was at most 20m from me: at that moment he was pulling up to avoid a midair collision. But it is useless if you can hear him only when he is within 20 metres.

STENKA_69.GIAP
03-06-2008, 04:19 AM
With and audigy 2 soundcard configured to soundblaster settings within IL2 driving good stereo headphones turned up loud you can sometimes hear someone up to 100 metres behind.

It's not clear - more like a something doesn't sound quite right feeling so best look behind.

More often than not the enemy will open fire before 100 metres so the first warning is tracers.

You definately hear them pass by when they overun.

zardozid
03-06-2008, 05:18 AM
I have heard that changing the "Attenuation" setting in the Sound section of the "Config" file "enhances" the volume of sound "outside" your (in-game) fighter...

...don't know how well it works, give it a try.

zxwings
03-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you STENKA_69.GIAP and zardozid! And STENKA_69.GIAP, having read your reply I now have a general idea of what I wanted to know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lurch1962
03-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Zardozid is right. I experimented a little with the Attenuation values and it does make a noticeable difference.

BrotherVoodoo
03-10-2008, 10:42 AM
I have heard that changing the "Attenuation" setting in the Sound section of the "Config" file "enhances" the volume of sound "outside" your (in-game) fighter

Yes this is the entry. I would suggest you set it to a low number 1-2 otherwise you will have radar hearing. For me that ruins the immersion.