PDA

View Full Version : PF/FB and VR glasses.

DuxCorvan
12-08-2004, 06:29 AM
Does it support any?

If yes, is there a fair pair at a non-dismaying price working on a normal rig?

It would be a shock to combine it with a Track-IR device.

Dreams, I guess.

DuxCorvan
12-08-2004, 06:29 AM
Does it support any?

If yes, is there a fair pair at a non-dismaying price working on a normal rig?

It would be a shock to combine it with a Track-IR device.

Dreams, I guess.

Masterjts
12-08-2004, 06:51 AM
I dont know if it supports it or not but try this link.

http://www.edimensional.com/index.php?cPath=21

Doon1
12-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Are you asking about shutter glasses or an HMD.
If it's shutter glasses then there is a couple important things you need to know that you won't hear at E-D.
1. You HAVE to use a Nvidia card. E-D says their drivers (actually wrappers)work with ATI and that's not a total misrepresentation. They kind of do. If you want your vertical resolution cut in half with no anti-aliasing and a greatly reduced frame rate. Not to mention that they work with very few games. Nvidia has very mature stereoscopic drivers that work for pretty much every 3D game out there.
2. You have to have a CRT monitor (not LCD) that is capable of a refresh rate of 120hz at your desired gaiming resolution. Most quality monitor will do this at 1024x768. The cheaper ones will only do 120hz as high as 800x600.
The original IL2 worked flawlessly in stereo.
IL2-FB worked just as well with the exception of some of the stand alone trees don't go thru the z-buffer and are therefore 2D. this can be a little disorienting when flying down low.
IL2-AEP is the same as FB.
I haven't bought PF yet so i don't have any info on that.
Other games that work.
NFS, Awesome.
SOF-II, Awesome.
LOMAC, Awesome.
HL & CS, Awesome.
MSFS, Awesome.
Battle Chess, Awesome.
And the list goes on.
Some games that don't work.
Any simcity.
Delta force.
Any Myst.
Most strategy war games.
There are a few more older games but I have'nt played them in a while so I don't remember the names.
Any game that doesn't utilize the z-buffer won't work.
The first time I tried my glasses was with Starwars Rouge squadron. The opening scene has an x-wing chasing a tie fighter. Then the x-wing fires (from behind) on the title that is done in stone. The pieces fly towards the screen. Well this time the pieces flew out of the screen into my face. I fell over backwards in my chair. I must have watched that cut scene a hundred times. Then I had some friends sit in the chair and watch it. A couple of them fell over as well.
I still find myself ducking down when I'm in a dogfight and I get a little close and have to drop under the plane I'm chasing. There's several folks at the stereoscopic forum that use TrackIR's with their glasses and say it's even more immersive.
If you're asking about HMD's the answer is "No ther is no consumer HMD that is acceptable for gaming". Although you can pick up a 1024x768 HMD for the low price of about $20,000.
800x600 OLED stereoscopic HMD's should be out by mid next year for a price of about $1000.
Sorry about being so long winded but I really love stereoscopic gameplay.
Hope this helps you make an informed decision.
John
Ps. there

BaldieJr
12-08-2004, 10:49 PM
If you have an nvidia card and what to try stereoscopic games for ultra cheap, look on ebay for anaglyph glasses. nVidia cards can do anaglyphs with minimal framrate loss.

The coolest part: it works with LCD's/projectors.
The uncoolest part: the glasses http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Doon1
12-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Yes anaglyph is cheaper But you get what you pay for plus a raging headache to boot. I have red/blue, red/cyan, and magenta/cyan glasses. Each got about 10 minutes use after the color calibration was performed. The problems/concerns I experienced where
1. the red lens is very dark and the blue lens is very light. That causes a great deal of eye strain.
2. One eye does'nt see the red and the other doesn't swee the blue. Very disorienting.
3. There is a LARGE amount of ghosting/cross talk between the eyes. This is another huge eye strain factor.
You can get red/blue glasses for free and the drivers are a free download as well. As I said you get what you pay for and nothing that is worth anything is free.
John

DuxCorvan
12-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Thank you, mates.

In fact, I love stereoscopic gaming, too, but that's not what I was looking for now. I just wanted a sort of monitor you can wear in front of your eyes, i.e. in a pair of glasses. Thus, combining it with a Track-IR you can actually move your head and see what you'd see in a real plane without looking with the edge of your eye to a fixed monitor, nor converting subtle movements in big ones, u catch it?

Authentic VR.

I think HMD is the definition for it, but it looks like they're too expensive for the common worker -and I'm yet a sub-common worker- so I guess I'll have to marry, grow a pair of kids, make them interest in sims, force them making a good career and having well-paid jobs, and wait for them or their own sons to buy a futuristic HMD for grampa.

I hope my Pentium XXIV is compatible with Il-2FB/AEP/PF/MTO/SCW/WW1/KOR 16.04 by then. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif