PDA

View Full Version : Why am I stil only a wingman?

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Hello
In several different careers in dynamic campaign, I have completed a dozen missions or more, acquired the highest number of kills in the squadron by far, and advanced from the lowest to the second highest rank, yet I am still a wingman. What does it take to lead a flight?

Cheers

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Hello
In several different careers in dynamic campaign, I have completed a dozen missions or more, acquired the highest number of kills in the squadron by far, and advanced from the lowest to the second highest rank, yet I am still a wingman. What does it take to lead a flight?

Cheers

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 06:41 PM
highers rank in your squadron I think /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 08:46 PM
garbazzz wrote:
- highers rank in your squadron I think /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
-
-

Well, like I wrote, I have achieved the second highest rank in the squadron, and lower ranking pilots than me lead missions. I am sick of just being a wingman.

Cheers

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 10:07 PM
I wondered about this before, too, especially when I was flying the Experten campaign (downloaded non-dynamic campaign - great fun, BTW). I had finished about 70 missions and reached Leutnant (about 4 or 5 promotions, IIRC) before I started actually leading flights, and for several missions (at least 10-15, IIRC) prior to that I had still been flying wingman to pilots with lower rank.

I rationalized it for immersion purposes as me letting these (relative) noobs get some much needed experience under the watchful eye of their superior officer (me) as wingman, but it did seem a bit weird.

Is there a reason for this phenomenon?

Wir sind die schwarzen Husaren der Luft,
Die Stukas, die Stukas, die Stukas.

... "Stuka-Lied"

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Crazy_Yuri wrote:
- Hello
- In several different careers in dynamic campaign, I
- have completed a dozen missions or more, acquired
- the highest number of kills in the squadron by far,
- and advanced from the lowest to the second highest
- rank, yet I am still a wingman. What does it take to
- lead a flight?
-
- Cheers

You´re right, it was a well known inaccuracy corrected in FB 1.1b /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty but the pig enjoys it!"

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 02:12 AM
You have to reach the highest rank of a given air force in order to command your group.
This will also let you choose planes' equipment.
The more you score kills and perform well in terms of mission objectives, the faster you will climb in ranks.
Otherwise, just begin a campaign at the higher rank.

<center>

http://www.goblins.net/immagini/Logo/tdglogo_eng.gif </p>

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 04:38 AM
With the patch I always lead the second (or only) flight as a Major for the Germans. With the Experten Campaign(I'm only on mission 34, but no deaths or captures yet with 21 air kills!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ) I assume that promotions come according to number of kills etc (dynamically) but that your practical ranks in the missions are hard coded, so they just have to guess when you should be leading a flight. That's all that I can think of anyway...

Great fun though, I HIGHLY recommend this campaign to anyone who hasn't tried it though. Play it on near-real settings and see how long you live.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 01:05 PM
-Crazy yuri wrote What does it take to lead a flight?

GUTS/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif DIIIIIISMIIISED... no actually it is another pilot who has higher rank.just keep on fighting some day you will lead flight. Or you could star a new campign selecting the highest rank/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

---------------------------------------
A to the K to 4 to the 7 little
devils dont go heaven Freedom got a AK
---------------------------------------

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 05:19 PM
I havn't seen this, I started on the lowest in my finland campaign and now I'm about halfway up, but they still make me fly as #6 or #8. However, my wingmen are the higher ranking officers, not the noobs that I had in earlier missions

-McTriggerhappy

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 06:07 PM
I had a Russian fighter campaign going before the patch. Haven't played it since the patch, but I started at the lowest rank and rose to second to the top. I lead most of the missions now. Funny note tho, I have a history of losing wingmen. If this was real, NO ONE would ever want to be my wingman. It's like a death sentence... :lol

This is JimRockford. At the tone leave your name and message; I'll get back to you.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 09:47 PM
I was reading the career of an IL2 pilot ^translated and posted by crazy Ivan recently on this forum. Gripping stuff.

Interestingly the writer thought it important at a certain point to join the communist party, in order to get promotion, a decent plane, status etc.

It worked for him - he survived.

So go to the commands menu and flip the switch for "send app to comnst pty"

I hope it helps

http://perso.club-internet.fr/ptthome/vulogo3.JPG

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the answers, all. It still doesn´t make sense to me, though, that I as squadron XO fly on the wing og the CO, while lowest rank noobs lead the other flights. And this is even after the patch.
It seems as if the game just distributes the pilots forom the top of the roster and down, instead of having experienced pilots lead the newbies.
I certainly hope, this will be on the ever groving list of things to be fixed.

Cheers