PDA

View Full Version : behold my tool



BaldieJr
05-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Some of you know that I've got a cockpit project in the works, but what you don't know is I don't own many power tools. In fact the boat I built last year was built with all hand tools. I've just never had the money for powered stuff.

So I took a loan against my 401k to grab a sailboat at a good price but someone else go to the boat before the loan was processed. I was bummed. But then I realized that I could use that money for TOOLS.

So I went Lowe's to grab a table saw. It doesn't have to be a great tables saw because anything is an improvement over the handsaw. While I'm there an employee walks up and says "so are you interested in a band saw?". I told him no I came for a table saw. He tells me he'll cut me a deal on a floor unit. I say "how much?". His response: $100.

Hell yeah. Wrap it up.

http://images.lowes.com/product/069554/069554150159.jpg

So I grabbed a new stanley plane (I really am a sucker for hand tools) and a cheapish table saw by black and decker.

Now I can return to my cockpit project. Well, after I build a new canoe. And maybe a bed. Oh and I could use some shelves in the computer room.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LStarosta
05-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Yeeeaaa!!! Power tools FTW!!11

I build my own hockey sticks with my vast array of power toolage!

Petey78
05-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Good stuff Baldie, the cost of power tools just keeps coming down and down, good to see you're making proper use of them (aeroplanes and boats)!

BSS_Goat
05-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Balbie!! NICE TOOL!!

Post up a pic of your boat...
This is the one I made last year.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/goatkisser/Finish3.jpg

T_O_A_D
05-08-2007, 09:18 AM
WaterFowler http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I used to do that alot, then moved away from the major flight coridor, and have since started chasing other critters.

LEBillfish
05-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Goat...Your photo zucks....Repost with better please as I was hoping to see how your layout boat went.

SlickStick
05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Phew, power tools....I thought you were trolling the forums for a date. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

My grandpa had many wood-working power and hand tools in his basement...a lathe, belt sander, table saw, jigsaws, routers, etc. In his retirement years, he enjoyed creating wooden statues of wildlife. He once created an awesome Bald Eagle with an almost 2-foot scale wingspan.

Hmmm, that could be a good flying handle for you, given one of your recent threads...BaldEagle. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

BSS_Goat
05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Goat...Your photo zucks....Repost with better please as I was hoping to see how your layout boat went.

I'll trade ya pics... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif



I'm not sure I have any better ones ...I'll check after lunch.

LEBillfish
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by BSS_Goat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Goat...Your photo zucks....Repost with better please as I was hoping to see how your layout boat went.

I'll trade ya pics... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif



I'm not sure I have any better ones ...I'll check after lunch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure...I will make even fresh pics to trade....But, we do it here....

BaldieJr
05-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Dude my boat is pathetic. Its an 8-foot skiff. I'm still fairly proud of it tho cause it was cut out with a japanese pull saw. The gunwales were rabbited with a rabbit plane. I faired her with scrap wood and sandpaper. She turned out really nice for such a small boat.

I want to do a duckboat too. I just want to cammo something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BSS_Goat
05-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by BaldieJr:
Its an 8-foot skiff. I'm still fairly proud of it tho cause it was cut out with a japanese pull saw. The gunwales were rabbited with a rabbit plane. I faired her with scrap wood and sandpaper. She turned out really nice for such a small boat.

You should be proud, that's old world craftsmanship. Mine is plywood and epoxy, any moron can build what I built. Do you have any pictures?



LEbillfish<------------http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Lodovik
05-08-2007, 11:39 AM
You got that saw for $100!? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
I knew that power tools go for for a fraction of the price in the US than where I live but I mean, Wow!
Maybe I should move over the pond and spend all my money to build a machine shop http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, let me know if you know of any sources for blue prints or other info on the canoes and small boats used by the British SBS in WW2.

A friend of mine is interested in building a replica and I've already got a beautifully restored Seagull outboard (1,5 hp) from 1941 to go with it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

WarWolfe_1
05-08-2007, 04:19 PM
"so are you interested in a band saw?".

They've done that to me more than a few times, lol. Every time my wife has threatend to kick me out for buying something I wasn't there to buy. Last time it was a Floor model Rolling tool chest for $75 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Sold it a swapmeet for $200 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif (since I already have a sears craftsman). She was happy then!

Great buy! if you don't need it there is always EBAY http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Esel1964
05-09-2007, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by BaldieJr:
Some of you know that I've got a cockpit project in the works, but what you don't know is I don't own many power tools. In fact the boat I built last year was built with all hand tools. I've just never had the money for powered stuff.

So I took a loan against my 401k to grab a sailboat at a good price but someone else go to the boat before the loan was processed. I was bummed. But then I realized that I could use that money for TOOLS.

So I went Lowe's to grab a table saw. It doesn't have to be a great tables saw because anything is an improvement over the handsaw. While I'm there an employee walks up and says "so are you interested in a band saw?". I told him no I came for a table saw. He tells me he'll cut me a deal on a floor unit. I say "how much?". His response: $100.

Hell yeah. Wrap it up.

http://images.lowes.com/product/069554/069554150159.jpg

So I grabbed a new stanley plane (I really am a sucker for hand tools) and a cheapish table saw by black and decker.

Now I can return to my cockpit project. Well, after I build a new canoe. And maybe a bed. Oh and I could use some shelves in the computer room.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You got that bandsaw for $100? That's a helluva price,you goy lucky!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Dagnabit
05-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey Baldie,
I like the old hand tools too. And that is the way my Dad started me on wood projects. Before I retired to a life of leisure, and flight sims I supervised all the training at Steelcase Corp. (wood division) They are the worlds largest supplier of office furnature. Stuff like $14,000 office desks with matching $22,000 credenzas $5,000 chairs etc...And I loved working with some of the really exotic types of wood we had there. I still spend alot of time in my home woodshop but these days I tend to use power tools more except for finish sanding and carving and such.
I think you got a good deal on the Delta band saw, and they have good products for the money.
For other tools that may only get used once in a while I buy Ryobi too. Great prices , and of at least 6 Ryobi products that I have Ive never had a problem, and they do the job they were designed for. For other inexpensive (read chinese non brand name here) Its hard to beat a retail outlet by the name of Harbor Freight. (my wife has tried to have me banned from there)
They have a large selection of all kinds of tools at prices that Lowes and others just cannot match. I bought a 21gal. upright compressor, a sandblaster, (large gun) and a smaller hand blaster, 50ft. of air hose,a bunch of connectors, and a regulator for just under $160.00.
Here is a link to their online store, and it gives locations for their regular offline stores as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Regards
Dag

horseback
05-09-2007, 11:44 AM
My favorite computer/electronics store is right next to Harbor Freight Tools in Chula Vista. It takes me days to get my truck out of that parking lot!

cheers

horseback