PDA

View Full Version : New joystick, Saitek Evo or Evo Force?

Tobus75
11-09-2005, 06:06 AM
Hi people,

I am now using a Logitech wingmang 3d force joystick. But lately, it seems it is getting outworn. Calibration is getting more difficult in XP gamecontrollers and centering is way of, mainly "due south". Flying is still ok after heavy trimming in the vertical plain, but I think a new joystick is in order.

I don't want to spend much, som I have my eye on a Saitek Evo (32 euros) or Saitek Evo Force (57 euros). I understand they are good sticks and worth their price.

My question is: does anyone have comments about these joysticks? The reviews on the web are all good, but how do they perform after a while?
Does the forcefeedback factor in into the longlivety of the joystick?

I found my wingman also ok in the beginning, but now after a year it appears wornout. I do not want to buy a joystick every year.

Deedsundone
11-09-2005, 07:21 AM
I´ve had mine over a year now and I don´t see any tear and wear yet.Even stand up for some heavily handling due to BF2 dogfights (no stalling so you really push you stick to it´s extreme)It´s good stick for that money.

Tobus75
11-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Deedsundone:
I´ve had mine over a year now and I don´t see any tear and wear yet.Even stand up for some heavily handling due to BF2 dogfights (no stalling so you really push you stick to it´s extreme)It´s good stick for that money.
Do you have the Force version of the Evo or the one without Force feedback?

Jatro13th
11-09-2005, 08:07 AM
I have the Saitek Cyborg Evo Force for almost a year, and it proved to be worth the money indeed.

No calibration needed whatsoever, but remember to move the stick towards all axes first all the way so that it can get calibrated before you start the game.

The spring that holds the stick centered while the FF is not working or set to zero I found it irritating and I removed it.

It can take heavy toll from nervous playing and it never twiches at all.

The only drawback with the self calibration is that when you push the stick to one direction and keep it in that region, the FF asumes that that centre is moved towards that direction, and you need to 'recalibrate' real time by moving the stick to all directions all the way one time. But that happens very rarely.

S~!

Grue_
11-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I had an Evo and my only criticism is that the stick/rudder is very mushy compared to a Microsoft joystick.

I bought the EVO for my machine at work and ended up replacing it with my Microsoft stick when I bought a CH HOTAS setup for home.

You can still buy MS sticks on e-bay.

Bearcat99
11-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) first if you are going to go with a Saitek stick.

Pirschjaeger
11-09-2005, 11:30 AM
I replaced my 3D Gold with an EVO. It was a definite mistake. The only complaints I have are the z-axis and the base buttons.

The z-axis is not good. I believe it was Kuna that also agreed with me about this in a previous thread.

The right side base buttons are useless since they are almost impossible to reach when you are holding the stick. The left side buttons take a lot of getting used to. I found the keys on the keyboard to be easier to use. I think this also depends on the size of your mittens. My hands are not small.

On a positive note, the stick is comfortable and the head is very adjustable. The throttle is not so bad but I still prefer the throttle on the 3D Gold.

Good luck.

Fritz

Deedsundone
11-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Tobus75:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deedsundone:
Do you have the Force version of the Evo or the one without Force feedback? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

None force EVO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Tobus75
11-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will definately go for the EVO, although I'm still undecided about the FFB or not.

Guinnessmonkey
11-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) first if you are going to go with a Saitek stick.

Doh.

I notice this link 48 hours after I bought a used x45 on ebay for more than that...

I'd even heard people mention the Saitek reconditioning program, but totally forgot about it during the cruicial period where I was actually buying a stick. DOH!

Jatro13th
11-10-2005, 02:08 AM
Ah. I forgot to mention something earlier.

When the stick gets warmed up after a while it has been plugged in the wall socket, the cogwheels that hold the throttle lever in place loosen up. As an effect, the throttle will automaticaly tend to decrease when placed at a position ~70% and less.

I find this quite frustrating sometimes when I need my left hand to push buttons elsewhere. I must be quick, otherwise the throttle will drop down to zero. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif