PDA

View Full Version : Weather or not?

walsh2509
11-06-2004, 11:00 PM
One thing that struck me with the mission builder and that was the weather!

In Lock On (ok different flight sim I know) you and pick the weather (like PF) but in LO you can also pick the time of year, the seasons, Winter Spring Summer Autumn. But you can't do this in PF or have I missed it some where?

Now I don't know and this is why I'm asking , cloud cover ? again in LO I am sure you can set it above 4900 odd ft but in PF cloud covers top setting is 1500M..

Is that right? I don't know for sure?

One good thing about the weather in the little mission I set up for myself was that the Japanese BB ship was only see by one of the 3 British BB ship surrounding her and she was only firing at the one she could see..

You might think it strange that I mentioned this as it would be a given! But the other night when i was messing about with the Mission Builder I set up a British BB ship against a Japanese DD, little contest. But I though that I'd be sneeky and put in a Sub ( a submerged one , you can put in a surfaced sub ) But when I opened the mission the BB was not only firing at the DD on one side but and guns blazing at he water where I guess the sub was!!

Would a BB ship see a sub that quick?

One last one , it might be my sound card but during a flight in a lighting storm I never heard the crack or the rolling peel of thunder?

walsh2509
11-06-2004, 11:00 PM
One thing that struck me with the mission builder and that was the weather!

In Lock On (ok different flight sim I know) you and pick the weather (like PF) but in LO you can also pick the time of year, the seasons, Winter Spring Summer Autumn. But you can't do this in PF or have I missed it some where?

Now I don't know and this is why I'm asking , cloud cover ? again in LO I am sure you can set it above 4900 odd ft but in PF cloud covers top setting is 1500M..

Is that right? I don't know for sure?

One good thing about the weather in the little mission I set up for myself was that the Japanese BB ship was only see by one of the 3 British BB ship surrounding her and she was only firing at the one she could see..

You might think it strange that I mentioned this as it would be a given! But the other night when i was messing about with the Mission Builder I set up a British BB ship against a Japanese DD, little contest. But I though that I'd be sneeky and put in a Sub ( a submerged one , you can put in a surfaced sub ) But when I opened the mission the BB was not only firing at the DD on one side but and guns blazing at he water where I guess the sub was!!

Would a BB ship see a sub that quick?

One last one , it might be my sound card but during a flight in a lighting storm I never heard the crack or the rolling peel of thunder?

Athosd
11-06-2004, 11:23 PM
The weather config in IL2 is relatively simple - the conditions are set for the mission and do not change during the session. Seasonal differences depend on the map used - eg Moscow Summer, Moscow Winter.

I just checked out the thunder sound (recalled it being very loud) - it is still there, however it is heavily attenuated now. Whilst in the cockpit or near the aircraft it is hardly audible.

My guess is that this is a side effect of an earlier change which was heavily requested/demanded by the community. Specifically that you shouldn't be able to hear another plane sneaking up behind you - in earlier versions engine sound would give away an approaching boom&zoom attacker; giving an unrealistic edge to the target and ruining the B&Z tactic in game.

Oleg has previously pointed out that the game has only one sound environment that must serve for internal and external effects. So I guess the resultant quiet thunder is an acceptable trade off.

Salute

Athos

Athosd
11-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Oh - and concerning the BB firing on the sub. At any time there would be a number of crew with binoculars searching for periscope wakes (or other signs) - so its reasonable that the ship might react if the sub is within a couple of thousand metres.
I don't know whether or not the ships have a detailed spotting sub-routine, it seems likely they just see anything that comes inside a set range.

One improvement I'd really like to see, probably next sim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, is bracketing salvos. Ships do not, as in the game, continue to fire randomly in the general direction of the target. They straddle it with successive volleys which become increasingly accurate, unless the target manages to evade or hide from view.

Cheers

Athos

uhoh7
11-07-2004, 12:25 AM
The weather options are very limited. For example you can't have lots of clouds without wind, or vice versa.

LOMAC of course, allows all kinks of tweaks for weather.

walsh2509
11-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Limited as to what you can set up but still a gret game!

In one little mission, I set up an attack on a surfaced sub as i played the track back again it just struck me..

It would be great if a Pacific Fighters 2 could be merged with a Silent Hunter 4 ( Pacific )with the later deatiling all the subs and shiping naval and merchant and PF2 working on the aircraft!

Athosd
11-07-2004, 05:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walsh2509:
Limited as to what you can set up but still a gret game!

In one little mission, I set up an attack on a surfaced sub as i played the track back again it just struck me..

It would be great if a Pacific Fighters 2 could be merged with a Silent Hunter 4 ( Pacific )with the later deatiling all the subs and shiping naval and merchant and PF2 working on the aircraft! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Similar things have been tried - though it doesn't tend to work outside of quick action games like BF42.
The biggest hurdle to playability is relative time scale for action - a submarine crew may stalk their target for hours or days; an air crew, for the most part, is only in the area for a few minutes. Difficult to make a useful join between the two experiences in gameplay terms.

Cheers

Athos