PDA

View Full Version : Which plane is the easiest one to land on a carrier?

WildeSau
12-15-2004, 08:56 AM
I own the game since the day it was available in Switzerland and since then, I only managed to land two times on a carrier. Once with a Dauntles and once with a Seafire. I never managed to bring down (safe I mean...) a Corsair or a Zero.

Are there some planes that are easier to land with on a carrier than others. If yes, what do you think is the best one to get started with?

Thanks.

Michael the WildeSau

WildeSau
12-15-2004, 08:56 AM
I own the game since the day it was available in Switzerland and since then, I only managed to land two times on a carrier. Once with a Dauntles and once with a Seafire. I never managed to bring down (safe I mean...) a Corsair or a Zero.

Are there some planes that are easier to land with on a carrier than others. If yes, what do you think is the best one to get started with?

Thanks.

Michael the WildeSau

Tallyho1961
12-15-2004, 09:02 AM
My first success was with the Wildcat, which is my preferred USN aircraft. I've also landed the Hellcat and the Seafire and found the Hellcat toughest of the three - don't really know why. Haven't tried any others.

MiszaNC
12-15-2004, 09:10 AM
from the easiest up:
Val
Zero
Dauntless
Wildcat
Hellcat
Corsair
Seafire
at least for me. The list means which one has the lowest approach speed (excluding Seafire).
It sounds strange but I have big problems with Seatfire, I just can not feel that baby yet!

Capt._Tenneal
12-15-2004, 09:19 AM
On a side note, any plane with a slooooow stall speed can be landed on a carrier. I experimented by editing the carrier training single mission in FMB and plugged in various aircraft FB and PF on autopilot landing and planes like the Storch can land on a carrier even without an arresting hook. The piece de resistance was when the TB-3 bomber was able to land on a carrier with room to spare ! It had to come in at a speed of 60 kph to do it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WildeSau
12-15-2004, 09:21 AM
gone try landing the Val right now - hope it's really easier than most of the US planes. Don't know why but they seem much harder to land than i.e. the Seafire.

nellip
12-15-2004, 10:17 AM
I would agree with MiszaNC - I get a much higher percentage of successful landings with Japanese aircraft than allied.

Not sure what the reason is - longer hooks maybe.......... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ploughman
12-15-2004, 10:22 AM
If you set the carrier's speed (assuming you're in FMB) to its maximum, some of them rocket along at 63 kph, I reckon you could land an A-340 on an Essex class carrier. It makes manouvering on deck quite hard though. Try that and then reduce the carrier's speed as you become more confident.

For outright easiest I'd say the J-8a, at full speed an Essex class carrier could probably outrun one of these things. For actually tailhook equipped planes the Seafire is quite easy, belying it's reputation and , of course, all of the zero types are a cinch, except the N, haven't managed to get that down without breaking a float off yet.

The US planes seem to me to be quite unforgiving. I suspect their models are more accurate when it comes to landing on carriers as I can land a Seafire without thinking about it but a Corsair takes alot of concentration and I sometimes go around 3 or four times before I'm satisfied enough with my approach to commit. Which I think is probably the best advice, if you're not sure go around and try again, don't accept wiping out on the stern.

Happy landings.

WildeSau
12-15-2004, 10:29 AM
thanks Ploughman. Until now I just fired up a QMB in the Coral sea to land on carriers - there the speed of the big US carrier (Lexington I think) is 40km/h. Will try it in FMB with the carrier at full speed.

Think too that the Seafire is more easy to land than any US plane. For me, the Corsair seems to be the most difficult one to deal with.

What do you mean with the J-8? Is this a carrier based plane?

Michael the WildeSau

CRSutton
12-15-2004, 10:32 AM
The Allied planes are heavier and drop to the deck faster. The Japanese planes are easy to land but you really have to compensate for those big wings. They are slow to float down even after cutting the power. I am learning but have a lot of overshoots with the Japanese.

ploughman
12-15-2004, 12:07 PM
The J8 is the Swedish version of the Gloster Gladiator. It is only available in PF if you merged your PF with AEP.

It was a 1930s bi-plane fighter so has excellent handling but a low top speed, but you can just float it onto the back of a carrier and it'll just bump to a halt in about 3 or 4 metres.

WildeSau
12-15-2004, 12:23 PM
cool - will give it a try Ploughman. Do you think in real life this would have been possible. I mean landing such a plane on a carrier without having an arresting hook?

Another question I have is if it was possible for a Seafire for example to land on an US carrier and they other way round too (a Hellcat landing on a British carrier) or did they have different setup so that only US planes could land on US carriers without having changed things on the carriers?

3.JG51_BigBear
12-15-2004, 12:29 PM
The seafire is really easy to land with such a long tail hook. Its very easy to make regular two point landing and stilling hook without needing the high AOA necessary for most other carrier AC.

Maj_Death
12-15-2004, 12:30 PM
The Zero is easiest for me with the Wildcat coming in a close second. The Val is fairly easy too but you have to hit dead center or else your wing will clip something.

LilHorse
12-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Funny. I've never had a problem trapping with the U.S. planes. I've only fluffed a trap once and that was online when things got choppy (the game, not the sea, he-he).

DRB_Hookech0
12-15-2004, 12:49 PM
I'd have to say the Corsair is the easiest to land on deck for me. I spent 2 weeks learning it, and its about the only plane I fly so I find it easier to land on deck than a runway (**** runways dont move!). Yes, I have it backwards. I didnt try to land on a runway until I mastered the carrier landing. I crash more on concrete than the carrier deck .... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Vigilanty
12-15-2004, 03:18 PM
I've practiced to the point where I can land the JU-87 on the Lexington pretty consistently. If it had a hook it would be a cinch.

eddiemac0
12-15-2004, 05:36 PM
DRB_Hookech0,

I used to have your same problems, carrier traps were a breeze, but strip landings ruined my life.

But, WildeSau,
I would suggest learning on the Wildcat, because learning to trap light Japanese planes will give you bad habits. Learn the Wildcat, then do the zero, then do whatever. I learned the zero firts, and then the hellcat, boy was that a change!

joberrick
12-15-2004, 06:24 PM
For me the easiest is probably the seafire (first carrier trap was with it) next i maybe the dauntless, but it has poor visibility. The hardest in my opinion is by far the val. It's the only plane I haven't been able to land succesfully, it just wants to stay up in the air nomatter how hard I flare it or how slow I go!

J_Weaver
12-15-2004, 06:26 PM
I would say the Wildcat. Corsair is probably the hardest. I've found the Japanese planes pretty hard for me. They seem so light its like they don't want to come down. Their short tail hooks don't help matters any http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

p1ngu666
12-15-2004, 07:19 PM
yeah seafire easiest cos of hook, irl the narrow gear gave problems, otherwise i think it was fine, oh and the flaps.

i try to drop onto the wires, many fly level and have problems. i copied film/book in my area.

also use some nose up trim, so the tail is down for the hook.

hellcat imo u are a passenger, atleast for me, as u dont see the landing...

BSR_Dude
12-15-2004, 07:27 PM
I've had the most success w/the Corsair on the carrier. For me the Hellcat is harder. Go figure.....

MiszaNC
12-15-2004, 08:18 PM
AS you look at USN planes, with 50% fuel the Corsair is the one I can do some 80% three point landing, catching 1st to 3rd wire. Then try load more fuel and armor. I can still land with full fuel and three tanks or two tanks and rockets but then the plane is HEAVY, needs some 90-100 knots on final and stall much faster, so preatty chalenge.
The point is if you cross the deck line (with 0% power) with speed around 80 just pull back hard on the stick that moves the tail down and maks the plane stall in control manner, so it drops down on three points nicely. It is worthy to move the stick to the right preventing faster drop (stalling) of the left wing. In the other hand the arrested hook of the Corsair sometimes has a bad tendency to do not catch the wire even if is sliding on the deck. Do not know if that is realistic but makes the landing more tricky.
JIN planes (sorry I have only PF alone, waiting for better PC for FB+PF) are, as it was already mentied, lighter thus much slower. I used to land only with one gear (the other gone in combat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) flying Zero (propeler finaly banded) and in Val with engine/propeller still OK after that crash landing on carrier! That was fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Good luck