PDA

View Full Version : Trying to preempt some of the whining

Blottogg
10-09-2004, 04:11 AM
There's been a lot of speculation even before PF hits shelves, so I thought I'd do my part to try to answer what I think will be the biggest questions/complaints/whines beforehand.

1) Yes, it really is that hard to land on an aircraft carrier. Don't expect to be able to just hop into a Corsair and start trapping. A large portion of Naval Aviator's training is devoted to landing aboard without killing anyone or breaking anything, and so should yours. Start like they do, on dry land, and take something a little more docile, like a Val or SBD (they'll still kill you, but they'll take their time doing it.) Practice hitting the same spot every time. Consistent airspeed and attitude are nice too, but you've GOT to be able to hit a very small portion of the runway/deck consistently. After mastering this, you'll kill yourself less often. Don't feel bad, and don't give up. The actual accident rates during WWII carrier ops were atrocious by today's standards, too. After you've spent a while slamming yourself into the fantail of your carrier of choice, go find a Naval Aviator veteran, and thank him. He didn't have a "Refly" button.

2) The deck's easier to see when you raise your seat (default Shift+F1?) This will probably replace "The German gunsights are messed up" complaint in Il-2/FB/AEP.

3) Your airplane probably won't reach full speed with the canopy open. This will explain why your Corsair sounds like an I-16 from the cockpit, too.

4) Find a good book to keep by the computer. Many of the campaign missions are going to be LONG. Moreso than on the Eastern front, these will be "long periods of boredom puntuated by moments of stark terror." The good news is that you will have a few advantages real aces like Saburo Sakai didn't have. Like an autopilot to help on the 1+ hour flight home. And 8x time compression. And both eyes. And (hopefully) no gunshot wound to the head.

5) Yes, shipboard AAA really was that deadly. Bring friends when attacking ships. Lots of friends. Go as fast as you can without breaking something, don't fly straight, and don't reattack if you're lucky enough to survive the first pass.

6) One patch of ocean looks pretty much like any other. Contact navigation will still work over the Slot, or Burma, but for blue water ops, get used to Dead Reaconing. Like Jimmy Stewart said "There's nothing wrong with this Dead Reaconing.... except maybe the name."

This isn't an all-encompassing list, to be sure, but enough to get the ball rolling. Feel free to add your thoughts. I wrote this tongue-in-cheek, but I also hope I've put in a couple things that will actually be useful as well.

edited for spelling

Blottogg
10-09-2004, 04:11 AM
There's been a lot of speculation even before PF hits shelves, so I thought I'd do my part to try to answer what I think will be the biggest questions/complaints/whines beforehand.

1) Yes, it really is that hard to land on an aircraft carrier. Don't expect to be able to just hop into a Corsair and start trapping. A large portion of Naval Aviator's training is devoted to landing aboard without killing anyone or breaking anything, and so should yours. Start like they do, on dry land, and take something a little more docile, like a Val or SBD (they'll still kill you, but they'll take their time doing it.) Practice hitting the same spot every time. Consistent airspeed and attitude are nice too, but you've GOT to be able to hit a very small portion of the runway/deck consistently. After mastering this, you'll kill yourself less often. Don't feel bad, and don't give up. The actual accident rates during WWII carrier ops were atrocious by today's standards, too. After you've spent a while slamming yourself into the fantail of your carrier of choice, go find a Naval Aviator veteran, and thank him. He didn't have a "Refly" button.

2) The deck's easier to see when you raise your seat (default Shift+F1?) This will probably replace "The German gunsights are messed up" complaint in Il-2/FB/AEP.

3) Your airplane probably won't reach full speed with the canopy open. This will explain why your Corsair sounds like an I-16 from the cockpit, too.

4) Find a good book to keep by the computer. Many of the campaign missions are going to be LONG. Moreso than on the Eastern front, these will be "long periods of boredom puntuated by moments of stark terror." The good news is that you will have a few advantages real aces like Saburo Sakai didn't have. Like an autopilot to help on the 1+ hour flight home. And 8x time compression. And both eyes. And (hopefully) no gunshot wound to the head.

5) Yes, shipboard AAA really was that deadly. Bring friends when attacking ships. Lots of friends. Go as fast as you can without breaking something, don't fly straight, and don't reattack if you're lucky enough to survive the first pass.

6) One patch of ocean looks pretty much like any other. Contact navigation will still work over the Slot, or Burma, but for blue water ops, get used to Dead Reaconing. Like Jimmy Stewart said "There's nothing wrong with this Dead Reaconing.... except maybe the name."

This isn't an all-encompassing list, to be sure, but enough to get the ball rolling. Feel free to add your thoughts. I wrote this tongue-in-cheek, but I also hope I've put in a couple things that will actually be useful as well.

edited for spelling

Extreme_One
10-09-2004, 05:28 AM
Not was I was expecting - good points well written. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
This thread should be the PF noob's bible.

JG53Frankyboy
10-09-2004, 05:52 AM
7) in general , Japanese Planes are way not so good protectet (armour , self sealing fuel tanks ) than their allie counterparts . so, dont wonder if you will not survive such often as in american planes.

lbhskier37
10-09-2004, 06:45 AM
8) When flying against ETO aircraft in your carrier planes, don't expect to own them. Carrier planes have to make a lot of comprimise compared to land based planes, especailly in speed vs. other contemporaries. (exept maybe the corsair)

Fritzofn
10-09-2004, 07:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 2) The deck's easier to see when you raise your seat (default Shift+F1?) This will probably replace "The German gunsights are messed up" complaint in Il-2/FB/AEP.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

want it only the Corsair that could raise the seat????

LuckyBoy1
10-09-2004, 07:09 AM
And it will be hard enough to hit the deck with your high end PC. I just hope it's true that a lower end PC won't go below 20 frames per second at the critical moment. It seems that even with higher end systems, some Dude who did a review had trouble even though he had experience in flight sims.

Still, this is a very good post and I hope we will not have too much whining about ships actually like, defending themselves! Too much has already been dummied down in this game already and folks need to learn that the charm of the game is that yes, you do have to think and work together to get anything of value done!

BSS_Vidar
10-09-2004, 10:21 AM
The Corsairs seat could not be adjusted. It was welded to the aft armor plated cockpit bulkhead. This is only a game function. If you want to see the deck, you're gonna have to learn how to fly the "Combat pass" on approach. This is when you're in a constant rate of turn from downwind to final bearing and don't roll wings level till the last second before arrestment. (Virtually no groove length.)

The Blacksheep are all ready very proficient with the standard CV case-1 recovery from years of CFS2 experience and FCLP's in IL-2/FB/AEP. We allways go back to base in on-line servers full-tilt-boogie and excecute a carrier break over home base.

We'll be holding training sessions in our pure PF server for anyone or any squadron that wants to learn how to do it right. Be sure you have Teamspeak so we can yack at ya. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

S!

Jungmann
10-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Blottogg, a well-communiated preview of the PF gameplay. Better start getting my PTO head together.

S!

Howie A
10-09-2004, 11:34 AM
I may be going back to this one for reference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Thanks bud

VF15_Muto
10-09-2004, 01:19 PM
The VF-15 Fighting Aces CFS2 squadron is also an extremely proficient carrier squad, and we have a Carrier Ops Training Manual (some parts are CFS2 specific, but the basic info is universally applicable) on both our website and at sim-outhouse:

http://www.vf15-flyingaces.com/vf15_fighting_aces_training.htm (available a third of the way down the page)

http://www.combatfs.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileType=cfs2-utilities

S~!
VF15_Muto

Giganoni
10-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Hehehe, how about some plane tactics, you shouldn't follow an American plane in a steep dive with a Zero. Shouldn't, but I do it far to often. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

If you dive with a Ki-61 on your tail and die, you should have. Ki-61 should have good dive characteristics in this game, late model P40s watch out.

Don't underestimate the Ki-43. It held its own in the CBI till late 44. Those two mgs have brought down, buffalos, hurricanes, P-40s, catalina's, P-38s, and B-24s. Just a sample. They are highly manuverable, but have low speed.

Also no whines if the Ki-43 II is tougher to bring down, it had 13mm pilot armor and self-sealing fuel tanks.

Smokin256
10-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Actually The F4U-1A & later corsair seat had a range of adjustment up & down of approx. 9 inches. Previous varients had a range of adjustment of approx. 6 inches.

Blottogg
10-10-2004, 03:31 AM
Vidar & Muto, I was hoping some of the more carrier saavy members would chime in. Thanks for the comments and info. I'll no doubt be checking your squadrons' web sites for info (probably after an hour or two of trying to "John Wayne" it by myself.)

Another one I forgot (lessee, what number are we up to?)

9) Yes, early model Corsairs are supposed to bounce that badly on landing. Well, actually I don't think the guys at Chance-Vought tried to make the Corsair bounce like that, just that they didn't give enough thought to how much of a hinderance high rebound on the oleos would be. From what I've read so far, the Brits figured out how to get around the problem shortly before the US Navy/Marine pilots and maintainers did.

Zayets
10-24-2004, 05:21 AM
10)Landing is much more easier in crates other than Val or SBD if you use full zoom in with or without Shift+F1 pressed. The trick is the speed. If you wonder why the heck you didn't took the cable check first if you did a "navy style landing" , that is , 3 points landing , all your wheel on the deck.If you do it like you did it in FB of course the hook will not meet the cable.Will you crash? Depends,manual says once you touch down apply FULL THROTTLE just in case your hook will not get the cable.Always watch the speed,you must be ONE notch above stall speed (US planes mostly 140-160 kph,Zero 120-140 kph)