PDA

View Full Version : MicroSoft Security Patch Question

e2michaelb
02-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Is anyone aware of bad side effects resulting from downloading and installing the mass of security patches MicroSoft is issuing? 'seems like I have read threads to that effect, but I can't remember or find them.

e2michaelb
02-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Is anyone aware of bad side effects resulting from downloading and installing the mass of security patches MicroSoft is issuing? 'seems like I have read threads to that effect, but I can't remember or find them.

VW-IceFire
02-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I hear about the occasional glitch but usually not. The problems are small (bug significant) and they really don't change anything substantial.

That said, I'm sure there's got to be someone somewhere thats going to get their system buggered up...it usually happens.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Two of my computers had no problems, the third went nuts. All relatively new machines. It was really wierd because the one that had the problems was an off the shelf HP. The others were put together by me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif and they came through it just fine. I ended up having to run the computer's recovery utility because no matter what I tried I couldn't get Windows to start so I could revert back to a restore point.

SlickStick
02-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Where is the malicious software removal tool being installed to? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

It was listed as being installed, but I can't seem to find it. I'll check back at the MS site to view the ReadMe associated with it to see what I can find.

SlickStick
02-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Oops, nevermind:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2005 (KB890830)
After the download, this tool runs once to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and automatically helps remove any variants found. After it runs, the tool is deleted from your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center or run an online version from microsoft.com. In addition to using this tool, you should use an up-to-date antivirus product to help protect your computer from other malicious software.