PDA

View Full Version : New video card information...

Messaschnitzel
04-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I am currently purchasing a new computer system and was wondering if anyone has the ATI Radeon X1900 XTX 512 mb PCI-E card? I searched the forums, but came up with nothing pertaining to this particular card. What catches my interest is not only the performance, is that the advertised longevity factor is good for whatever games come out in the future as well.

In particular, how does IL2/Pacific Fighters perform with this card? Do all of the graphic
bells and whistles such as the realistic water effects show up like I see displayed in the images posted here on the forum?

Any info would be greatly appreciated because if I purchased the card and find that all of the effects are not present when running Our Beloved Simulator on perfect mode, I'm gonna http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

danjama
04-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Is there a specific reason why your purchasing Radeon?

If not, consider Nvidia.

Messaschnitzel
04-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by danjama:

If not, consider Nvidia.

No specific reason. In my two previous computers, I used Nvidia cards.

What are the advantages of Nvidia cards versus
Radeon cards? I did read that the availability of the Nvidia equivalent to the Radeon X1900 XTX was not good. Are the Nvidia top of the line cards readily available now?

SATAN_23rd
04-16-2006, 01:26 PM

If not, consider Nvidia.

these kinds of posts crack me up and prove the ignorance of the poster.

If you really wanted to give a useful answer, maybe give us a reason to consider Nvidia over ATI instead of yhour opinion, cause thats worth very little.

FYI, I have 2 ATI X1900 XTX's and I LOVE them.

AKA_Hitcher
04-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Exactly! These forums are full of very proud video card owners and the Nvidia owners love to suggest that theirs are the best. I haven't seen as many ATI owners claim superiority over Nvidia. The whole thing cracks me up!

A buddy of mine, who owns an Nvidia card, was answering a thread one time where a guy was saying his 3.5 year old ATI Radeon 9800 card had died and he was getting a new one. My buddy said something to the effect of, "That happened to my friend once and he got a new Nvidia 7800 and now everything works great!"

Imagine that, a new Nvidia 7800 works better than a 3.5 yr old ATI card! Now there's proof for ya', eh? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

danjama
04-16-2006, 01:42 PM
You both crack me up. Look at my reply again. Did i suggest anything? Your responses are exactly the reason why i didnt give any more detail or information. I can see my help is not needed, as im ignorant and small minded, please excuse me from trying to help.

danjama
04-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by SATAN_23rd:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:

If not, consider Nvidia.
give us a reason to consider Nvidia over ATI instead of yhour opinion, cause thats worth very little.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My opinion is worth as much as any other mans, how can you be so rude?

I seriously wonder why i come here and post sometimes.

To the original poster: I had a rethink, and If you personally would like to hear my opinion, please ask. I just dont see the point in posting when i will be pushed around by a load of "nvidia vs radeon" people, as demonstrated above.

SATAN_23rd
04-16-2006, 01:53 PM
You both crack me up. Look at my reply again. Did i suggest anything? Your responses are exactly the reason why i didnt give any more detail or information. I can see my help is not needed, as im ignorant and small minded, please excuse me from trying to help.

You did not help by simply giving an opinion, if you wanted to be helpful, post a REASON to choose Nvidia over ATI.

codeseven7
04-16-2006, 01:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:

If not, consider Nvidia.

If you really wanted to give a useful answer, maybe give us a reason to consider Nvidia over ATI instead of yhour opinion, cause thats worth very little.

FYI, I have 2 ATI X1900 XTX's and I LOVE them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"FYI, I have 2 ATI X1900 XTX's and I LOVE them."

Uh, according to your rules, wouldn't that be "yhour" opinion, cause that would be worth very little too.

Airmail109
04-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Okay this is how the ATI card is better for long term gaming.

The X1900 uses 3 Shader units per pxel pipeline, it uses 16 pixel pipelines that amounts to 48 shader units.

The Nvidea 7900 GTX although slightly faster in IL2 is somewhat slower in a lot of next gen games, it only uses 1 shader unit per piexel pipeline...howver it does have 24 pixel pipelines. Nvidea have stated that with their next card theyll be moving to an ATi style of doing things IE multiple Shader Units per Pixel pipeline.

Ive had 4 Nividea cards all of which broke (An GF 3 Ti500, a GF4 Ti4400 and two GF Ti4600 the last three were all warrantly replacements)....the last time it broke I just went and bought an ATI 9800 pro, it lasted for two years without breaking and then I replaced it with an X800 which had also been ver very reliable.

Go figure.

The X1900 XT 512mb is insanely fast and far cheaper than the equivilent 7900 GTX 512mb.

danjama
04-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
Okay this is how the ATI card is better for long term gaming.

The X1900 uses 3 Shader units per pxel pipeline, it uses 16 pixel pipelines that amounts to 48 shader units.

The Nvidea 7900 GTX although slightly faster in IL2 is somewhat slower in a lot of next gen games, it only uses 1 shader unit per piexel pipeline...howver it does have 24 pixel pipelines. Nvidea have stated that with their next card theyll be moving to an ATi style of doing things IE multiple Shader Units per Pixel pipeline.

Ive had 4 Nividea cards all of which broke (An GF 3 Ti500, a GF4 Ti4400 and two GF Ti4600 the last three were all warrantly replacements)....the last time it broke I just went and bought an ATI 9800 pro, it lasted for two years without breaking and then I replaced it with an X800 which had also been ver very reliable.

Go figure.

The X1900 XT 512mb is insanely fast and far cheaper than the equivilent 7900 GTX 512mb.

Tom you always was an ATi fanboy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Only jokin mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Come on msn later...bout 10.30

Airmail109
04-16-2006, 02:16 PM
LOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Will do! I might fly as well!

SATAN_23rd
04-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by codeseven7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SATAN_23rd:

If not, consider Nvidia.

Uh, according to your rules, wouldn't that be "yhour" opinion, cause that would be worth very little too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO, because I did not give my advice to consider Nvidia with NO supporting reason other than my opinion.

AKA_Hitcher
04-16-2006, 02:30 PM
You both crack me up.

Hey, sorry danjama! I didn't mean to point fingers at you. I just made a general observation of the Nvidia cult that seems to be everywhere these days.

danjama
04-16-2006, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codeseven7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SATAN_23rd:

If not, consider Nvidia.

Uh, according to your rules, wouldn't that be "yhour" opinion, cause that would be worth very little too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO, because I did not give my advice to consider Nvidia with NO supporting reason other than my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was advising to consider BOTH ATi and Nvidia, not just Nvidia. You obviously misread my post. I see no reason why he should not consider both, everybody knows that ATi are much better now than they were this time last year, so of course they deserve as much consideration as Nvidia. There is no need to go all "fanboy" on this issue, its not the tech support forum http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Oh yeah, Nvidia 4 teh w1n http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif j/k

danjama
04-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by AKA_Hitcher:
You both crack me up.

Hey, sorry danjama! I didn't mean to point fingers at you. I just made a general observation of the Nvidia cult that seems to be everywhere these days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, just remember that to Nvidia users, the ATi "cult" is the enemy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The only people against Nvidia are ATi, and vice versa. No need to argue with that surely.

danjama
04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
LOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Will do! I might fly as well!

Im still not flyin http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Need a wireless router before i can do that. Speak to ya soon then!

To the original poster:

I think its fair to say that the Radeon is a good card. Also, now that we have new dll's it can also run water that looks like the old water3, so Nvidia no longer hold that card. So what is there to divide between them? Well, like you said, you had Nvidia last time. Thats a pretty good reason in my book, and its probably how i would decide as well, otherwise you will be struggling to pick out pros and cons of each card (X1900 vs GF7800/7900). Your best bet would be to search and read through well known computer tech forums and read up reviews and tests on each card your considering. I had a brief look myself and it is very difficult to choose between them.

Messaschnitzel
04-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Satan_23rd:

I believe that You are the only one so far that actually has this particular card. (or cards in Your case.)

How does IL2/Pacific Fighters run with these cards?

hamselv2
04-16-2006, 03:05 PM
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7800_gtx_512mb/page18.asp

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/2560_1600_gaming_preview/page6.asp

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/9831041724

Messaschnitzel
04-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Danjama,

I've already looked a a good number of card review sites and more than likely read the same stuff that You did. They both seem to have some advantages and weaknesses over the other.

From what I read, the Radeon card does seem to have more longevity for future games potential than the Nvidia. Only the future will tell for certain because the minute I purchase any hardware component, the "obsolete" timer starts ticking.

I remember when my Nvidia TI4400 card was the hottest card going. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Messaschnitzel
04-16-2006, 03:30 PM
hamselv2,

I used the forum search engine earlier and came up with no results when I typed " ATI Radeon X1900 XTX 512 MB PCI-E". Is the search engine that sensitive to input? Usually, when using a search function on other sites I will get results included that have nothing in reference to the search subject.

For future reference, what exactly did You type in the engine that came up with the page that compares the two cards?

SATAN_23rd
04-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Messaschnitzel:
Satan_23rd:

I believe that You are the only one so far that actually has this particular card. (or cards in Your case.)

How does IL2/Pacific Fighters run with these cards?

So far, it works great, I have been working so much and because of that, spending my free time with my family, but in the little bit of time I have been able to enjoy them, they work absolutely fantastic. When I get time, I will post some numbers and mod my game to enable the advanced graphics features, and of course provide screenshots.

Messaschnitzel
04-16-2006, 03:50 PM

So far, it works great, I have been working so much and because of that, spending my free time with my family, but in the little bit of time I have been able to enjoy them, they work absolutely fantastic. When I get time, I will post some numbers and mod my game to enable the advanced graphics features, and of course provide screenshots.

Thanks!

hamselv2
04-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Messaschnitzel:
hamselv2,

I used the forum search engine earlier and came up with no results when I typed " ATI Radeon X1900 XTX 512 MB PCI-E". Is the search engine that sensitive to input? Usually, when using a search function on other sites I will get results included that have nothing in reference to the search subject.

For future reference, what exactly did You type in the engine that came up with the page that compares the two cards?

I actually didn't use the Forum's search feature. I have a big collection of reasonably well organized links that I use.

VW-IceFire
04-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Radeon X1900XTX looks great a great card. My Radeon 9700Pro kicked the bucket recently and I replaced it with a GeForce 6600GT from XFX. This is a temporary measure until I can get a new card.

The honest truth of the matter is that both companies make roughly the same cards with roughly the same features and end up with roughly the same result. There is very little you can do pro and con back and forth as the featuresets are SO close.

In my case, price, power supply requirement, and specific performance and features were what I was using to distinguish between cards. I very nearly bought a Sapphire X1600Pro AGP to replace my 9700Pro. The price was great but the trouble was the PSU requirements were too high for my current rig. So the 6600GT will do the trick.

Both ATI and nVidia should be on the table. X1900XT or 7900GT or GTX. Look at them seriously and closely and see which one fits your best price/performance/feature ratio.