PDA

View Full Version : New PC (need advice for install)

Edbert
08-12-2005, 09:09 AM
I've got a brand new install of Windows and need to get IL2FBAEPPF back on it. I have the entire merged/patched/tweaked folder from the old one in a giant ZIP file and would prefer to just put it back to the way it was rather than install all four releases and the dozens of patches from scratch.

Is there an officially (or unofficially too) a preferred method for doing this? I'm sure I could spend the two hours reloading from the CDs and then unzip my content over the top of it but would like to save the time and hassle if possible.

Anyone who has done this before know of any gotchas?

bogusheadbox
08-12-2005, 10:11 AM
How many hard drives does your new computer have?
If 2. then just disable one. Have the other as master. Put in your old computers hard drive with PF and copy accross to master drive.

Disconect old hard drive and put back in your new drive. You will need to reset the path back the the exe file to launch the game. (shortcut)

If your new computer has a dvd burner / CD burner. Then put your CD/dvd burner in the old computer. Burn everything onto disc. Put CD /DVD burner back into new comp. Copy all to HDD. Reset the shortcut to the right path.

3. If your old comp is still running and has a network card. And your new one does too. then just buy a 5 usb cable. Join the two up. Set up a network connection. (takes about 10 mintues) and simply copy from one comp to the other.

4. Just reinstall the old fashioned way by putting in all the discs and loading the patches in correct order. I recently did this and it does not take that long. Especially if you have the patches already available on your old comp. Simply copy them onto disc and put on new computer.

A fresh install from disc i would recommend (#4). It is easy really doesn't take that long and has less chance of data corruption during transfer of zipped information.

Regards

FoolTrottel
08-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Anyone who has done this before know of any gotchas?

Just unzip the file! (Make sure it's unzipped at the place you want it to go!)
No need to use the Cd's to install it.
It will run, providing your windows install is okay as far as drivers are concerned.

(My IL2 install is on a different partition than windows is. Whenever I reinstall windows, the only thing I need to do is re-create them icons to start IL2.)

So, no gotchas, just start unzipping!

Have fun!

Atomic_Marten
08-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Yes I have regularly reinstalled windows on C: drive while I left FB on D: drive intacted. And it worked without any problems. I just, for the matter of convenience, drag the shortcut on desktop... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Edbert
08-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Cool, thanks!

Hard to imagine ANY software that doesn't require massive registry settings any more. I'll give it a go when I get home.

I wonder if the same is true for all those utilities like DCM and Stab, guess I'll find out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<S>