PDA

View Full Version : Who wants admit new FM dificult.

IcarusXP
06-17-2005, 06:29 AM
I'll be the first.

I've been playing Flight PC flight sims for ever and the new v4.01 FM is the most dificult to handle I have ever encountered.

I am finding that I have to learn to fly all over again, and re program my flight controler to this new style of flying I'm learning.

I've been useing the X-52 flight system, and I have been useing my old Logitech 3D pro, trying them both out to be sure it's the game and not the stick.

I'd like to hear thoughts from other players abot this FM. Do you think the torque is to much? How do you counter it?

Do you think IL2 has evolved into a "Must have pedals" game?

Lay it on me guys, lets be honest, I can't be the only one haveing a hard time with the new FM.

stubby
06-17-2005, 06:34 AM
Rudder pedals are most but that was the case before the patch http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't think it's like relearning the game but it does require a more conservative approach to flying. At most, it requires you to be more involved with trim controls. Seems real to me that trim is constantly required now to keep the craft flying to your liking. The torque effect is only noticable when the throttle is either gunned or slowed down in extreme intervals. So taking off is the biggest challenge in that we've been used to being able to firewall it with no ill torgue effect.

Now the biggest person impacted by this change has been the AI. They're having issues. I can routinely get AI planes to stall and crash into the deck since 4.1m.

-HH- Beebop
06-17-2005, 06:45 AM
Agreed the FM IS difficult. But...
although I've done a bit of flying, the instructors were wise enough not to let me take off or land. (Ask my squadmates and they will say that those instructors knew their stuff! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif).
However, that being said, I don't mind it as it does seems much more realistic. Taking off and landing are harder but still managable. I've read that some people feel the torque is less under 4.01. Me, I can't see a difference. In fact, many of the planes that used to "waddle" don't anymore and I find ground handling much improved. Heck, the I-153, I-16 and Buffalo are much easier to takeoff with than before. You just need to do a controls setup check prior to takeoff.
<span class="ev_code_RED">But</span>, for the life of me I can no longer takeoff from a carrier! one thing taht's seemded to change is the FM does not like firewalling the throttle before takeoff. This is mandatory for carrier operations. This week with the squad, I failed 90% of the time in a Seafire with default loadout and 50% fuel. I reset the carrier (HMS ILLUSTRIOUS) to max speed, an unrealistic 56kph and still had problems. If others are having this problem it may scare off new players, especailly to the Pacific Fighters portion of the game.

IMO this can't be right. I haven't even dared taking off a Wildcat as I don't think I could struggle with staying airborne AND raising the gear which needs to be done immediately for best flight dynamics as even when succesful taking off I'm spending 110% of my time maintaining something that resembles level flight, or at least upright flight.

If anyone has tips for carrier takeoffs under 4.01, point me in the right direction....PLEASE!

sokil
06-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by IcarusXP:
I'll be the first.

I am finding that I have to learn to fly all over again, and re program my flight controler to this new style of flying I'm learning.

I'd like to hear thoughts from other players abot this FM. Do you think the torque is to much? How do you counter it?

Do you think IL2 has evolved into a "Must have pedals" game?

Lay it on me guys, lets be honest, I can't be the only one haveing a hard time with the new FM.

I would like to know this also.

Lucius_Esox
06-17-2005, 07:21 AM
Take offs are now real seat of the pants stuff again, just like the original http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have to say I'm a slob when it comes to my controller (MS FF2) as I have never adjusted input levels on it ever, right from the original.

Maybe it pays dividends I dont know but I suppose it means I sorta know exactly where I am with every new FM !!!!

My method of take off in the Spit,,, Wep on, 100% prop pitch, rad closed, nav lights on. Line up, ease the throttle slowly until moving, then floor it,,,, Tis fun.

I have to make sure I'm ready to catch the nose dive and and the veer, the nose dive bit is about being gentle with this method http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

pacettid
06-17-2005, 07:24 AM
I think rudder pedals are a very big plus when using the new FMs. I think once you get them and get used to them, you will agree.

Archangel2980
06-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Well I'm kind of having a tough time flying the American planes... I usually fly the 109 so no worries there lol.

WOLFMondo
06-17-2005, 07:47 AM
i'll freely admit its a new challenge and some planes are a little tough to get to grips with. ironically the easist plane now is the p38 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

had to play with my stick and pedal settings allot to make the new fm work for me, some planes seem so overly sensitive.

DxyFlyr
06-17-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm having similar trouble. Before 4.0 came out, I was taking off and landing without expending much thought or effort at all.

After 4.0 (and 4.1 as I havn't seen a difference in the two), I'm averaging about 1 moderatly successful landing in 3 attempts. I can now consitently survive a take-off, but only after much blood sweat and tears (and a boatload of rudder). I generally look like a disoriented trout throwing my tail back and forth trying to get my plane off the ground. Too much rudder, not enough, too much, not enough etc, etc.

I use a twisty stick and have convinced myself to keep using it for 4 weeks. I remember somewhat of a learning curve when IL2 first came out. It took me a little while to figure things out and get comfortable. If I can't conquer the new flight model by then, I'll suck it up and buy the rudder pedals.

If I still can't fly with the pedals, I'll just be a poorer sorry pilot.

My thought is that if I keep at it with the present stick, sooner or later I'll begin to better anticipate what the plane wants to do and I'll be ready to react appropriately and not over-correct on the controls as I'm doing now. If I can do this with my present stick, I'll save myself $120 or so.

Old_Canuck
06-17-2005, 07:56 AM
I'll admit that static carrier takeoffs with the F4U is a challenge but no problem once the correct trim is tapped in for rudder and nose up. The rest is a matter of gentle and accurate stick handling with judicious rudder compensation. Once the static carrier F4U scenario is mastered the rest should be a snap I reckon. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Oleg and Team just raised the bar on skills required. That's what makes it interesting is it not?

Hrannar
06-17-2005, 08:06 AM
And lock the tailwheel during take-off and landing, makes it a lot easier.

triggerhappyfin
06-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
I'll admit that static carrier takeoffs with the F4U is a challenge but no problem once the correct trim is tapped in for rudder and nose up. The rest is a matter of gentle and accurate stick handling with judicious rudder compensation. Once the static carrier F4U scenario is mastered the rest should be a snap I reckon. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Oleg and Team just raised the bar on skills required. That's what makes it interesting is it not?

Agree fully!
Trim is nessery now. If the IL-2 had been as hard PF is now...wonder how it would been to try mastering it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Would I be playing it now? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Prolly would http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

OldMan____
06-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Not tryed carriers. But think is not hard.

In fact is easier since people dont try to takeoff cross runway anymor. So much less collisions on ground now.

Just trhotle up slowly keep rudder pressed, tail down.. when at 100 kph tail up, put flaps, reduce to 80% power.. and wait till 180.. than gently pull up pressing a little bit more rudder.

han freak solo
06-17-2005, 09:02 AM
My takeoffs aren't too bad.

But the landings are hell!

I've got to relearn how to land in this game since all my aircraft landing gear struts have been replaced with toothpicks!!

Freelancer-1
06-17-2005, 09:19 AM
My only problem so far, and this may be just with the plane set I fly is...

Black outs!

The on-set seems to happen earlier and they last a lot longer. A real PITA when I'm using a stall turn in a P-39 to try and get a 109 to drop off my tail.

Freelancer

LStarosta
06-17-2005, 09:29 AM
The only difficult thing with this FM is the torque. Otherwise, the FM is much easier because stalls are much gentler and don't instantly turn to spins.

Due to the torque, I can't land most planes on mountain tops (like on the Dogfight10 map). My friend and I made a little map on which we put mountain bases and improvised runways all over the map for a little bush flying, if you will. Our main ride would be the Val because you could seriously land that thing on any mountain top, even up an incline, and it would not fall apart. Now with the increased torque, it's all the more difficult to do so. The TB3 can still pretty much take off and land anywhere, but its enormous size, throttle-to-thrust delay and its pisspoor breaks make differential breaking and maneuvering on the ground a hassle.

SKULLS Virga
06-17-2005, 09:29 AM
It is much harder, but I think I will like it.

I did have to turn my joystick pitch and yaw inputs way down though so it wouldn't be so touchy. This helped a lot.

Freelancer-1
06-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by OldMan____:

In fact is easier since people dont try to takeoff cross runway anymor. So much less collisions on ground now.

I'm still seeing lots of spawn and run yahoos ripping of across the fields bouncing away and putting big smoking holes in the ground. These guys will never learn. At least it makes it easier to find the airfield on my return.

Freelancer

knightflyte
06-17-2005, 09:33 AM
I started a post yesterday concerning the new FM, but no one came. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Basically I LOVE the new model, but like you, Icarus, I'm havin problems.

Mostly it's flying that's got me. Take off's and landings have been pretty uneventful. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Where I'm having trouble is recognizing feedback through the stick. I recognize the sound and visual cues, but not always how to correct the problem, because I'm not always sure of what parameter is doing what to the plane.

So, torque has a great affect on flight, but so does excelleration which induces lift,......so does mishandling the plane in combat manuevers thus getting yourself into trouble, or proper trim....ad nauseum.

The basic FM's from 3.04 and before are pretty easy, and I've got them easily recognized as we all do. Now throw the new ones on and you compound it with the limitations of ANY computer sim and I hope you can understand what I mean by not recognising feedback. Which dynamic is affecting the plane? Torque is easy to figure out because of the axis it rotates on. Combine it with a coordinated turn and lack of experience AND the lack of 'feeling' you can see where this hurts pilot performance.

I have a Saitek Cyborg EVO force feedback. The FF is pretty weak. My old Wingman had GREAT FF, but was not reliable, and gave up the ghost.

What I'd like to know is, those with FF, Do you feel a difference in FF behavior that would help to recognise aircraft ATTITUDE between 3,4 and 4.01?

I AM improving which makes me feel pretty good.
The limitaions of a simulation experience don't allow for tangable communication between plane and pilot. The best we can do is have approximations of stimuli on our plane.

Chuck_Older
06-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Hrannar:
And lock the tailwheel during take-off and landing, makes it a lot easier.

This seems odd...but I've always been doing this. I've always felt the plane was very darty if I hadn't locked the tailwheel. I don't know if this means I'll have an easier time adapting to the new FM, as I seem to perhaps have a bit of a feel for what's happening, or if it will be a nightmare, since I had to takeoff with locked tailwheel since FB came out http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

The190Flyer
06-17-2005, 10:07 AM
I haven't noticed much of a difference yet, I can't really comment on this topic since I've only had a few minutes to try out the new patch, been so busy lately, I haven't really had time to fly. I need to get immersed a little before I can truly comment on the new FM, but all in all it sounds pretty cool. It's fun to have something new to build skills and "learn to fly" all over again. Great job IL-2 team!

F19_Ob
06-17-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure the flying is harder in 4.01 compared to 3.04 or if it was supposed to be but takeoffs and aiming indeed are a bit more troublesome if one forgets to adjust for torque. Especially deflectionshooting at long distances (beyond 400m) is difficult because in many planes u have to pull so the target dissappears below the nose and at slow speeds the torque may throw u off aim, and only a little deviation is enough on such distances.
That sure makes it feel more difficult.

However I feel one can turn better now in most planes since the stall and spins are gentler and most planes that had vichius snapstalls now can pull hard without fear.
P40, spit, p38, p51 and p39 to mention a few.
P39 seem to be one of the few planes that can enter an unrecoverable spin from 3000m if one let it develop but it still can turn harder until the risk of spin.
Some planes like p51 doesn't need spinrecovery at all more than releasing stick throttling down
(p51D)

I haven't tested carrier operations so I have no opinion about that yet but overall I think flying is much easier now in most planes.

some thoughts

sgilewicz
06-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Did the DL but haven't installed 4.01 yet (still flying 3.04) until I can hash out the whole DM issue (lots of screaming going on and very few objective posts). I am curious about the tail wheel lock suggestions though. I completed the full USN campaign about 6 weeks ago and never used the wheel lock. What does it do for you on take offs and landings? I gather it is going to be important going forward and I'd like to be prepared. Thanks.

DxyFlyr
06-17-2005, 11:58 AM
sgilewicz,

The new torque action will pull your plane off the runway if you let it. Locking the tailwheel keeps this from happening when the tail is on the ground.

DxyFlyr
06-17-2005, 12:08 PM
I also agree that flight is somewhat easier now. It's what happens near the ground that is more complicated.

Overall, I'm very excited about the new flight model. You can really feel the weight of the plane and the forces acting on it now. Just feels more real.

SeaFireLIV
06-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OldMan____:

Priceless! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
I'm still seeing lots of spawn and run yahoos ripping of across the fields bouncing away and putting big smoking holes in the ground. These guys will never learn. At least it makes it easier to find the airfield on my return.

Freelancer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

StellarRat
06-17-2005, 01:07 PM
I've just had to be more gentle on the controls at low speeds (landing, takeoff.) You can't yank on the stick or rudders anymore, but then again since I almost never fly anything but the P-47 this hasn't been much of a learning curve for me because the 47 never responded well to harsh control movements anyway. The trick to taking off now is to actually use the runway (not the taxiway) and to gradually ramp up the power as you roll down the runway while applying a slight amount of rudder to counter the engine torque. If you slam the trottle open right at first it's really hard to keep the plane on the runway. It's important to line your plane up with the runway carefully before you take off too. Also, I don't taxi above 20 kph anymore.

victor51
06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by han freak solo:
My takeoffs aren't too bad.

But the landings are hell!

Yep, that's me, my last flight was in the Buffalo, and it was like trying to land a beachball. Coming in too fast, lower flaps, cut throttle, and she bucks all over the place. It does feel more like flying, but I sure can get sideways mighty quick.

I'm using a twist stick too, but most my trimming seems to be Aileron, pedals won't help with that will it!

nickdanger3
06-17-2005, 01:30 PM
I used to fly primarily Spits (waits for comments)...and since the patch I've switched to P-47's.

The Spitfires would had so much torque and would quickly nose down at about 80 km/h that I just gave up.

I think that since the P-47 is so honking big and heavy that it's a bit easier to control.

I agree with the lock you tailwheels comments. I got out of the habit but now it's definitely important for a successful takeoff in the taildraggers.

F19_Ob
06-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by sgilewicz:
I am curious about the tail wheel lock suggestions though. I completed the full USN campaign about 6 weeks ago and never used the wheel lock. What does it do for you on take offs and landings? I gather it is going to be important going forward and I'd like to be prepared. Thanks.

I like the groundhandling http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif it's a bit more difficult but not owerwhelming.

Groundhandling is a bit different for each plane but I tested to do a quickstart without locking the tailwheel on the 109 and it's possible to do a quick 90' turn onto the runway and accellerate fast without too much problems if one kept the tail down until elevator and rudder start to work.
Perhaps not the most beautiful takeoff but I got up in the air http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Some planes like cr42 noses over if one try to accellerate to quickly so there is some variation.

Old_Canuck
06-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by F19_Ob:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sgilewicz:
I am curious about the tail wheel lock suggestions though. I completed the full USN campaign about 6 weeks ago and never used the wheel lock. What does it do for you on take offs and landings? I gather it is going to be important going forward and I'd like to be prepared. Thanks.

I like the groundhandling http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif it's a bit more difficult but not owerwhelming.

Groundhandling is a bit different for each plane but I tested to do a quickstart without locking the tailwheel on the 109 and it's possible to do a quick 90' turn onto the runway and accellerate fast without too much problems if one kept the tail down until elevator and rudder start to work.
Perhaps not the most beautiful takeoff but I got up in the air http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Some planes like cr42 noses over if one try to accellerate to quickly so there is some variation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This message is mostly for the newcomers:

Forgot about tailwheel lock and tried it on the next stationary carrier takeoff. I know it's old hat for some of you guys taking off on the static carrier but maybe some of the newer sim pilots here could use some encouragement. Here's a track that shows how smooth the new FMs are if you have it trimmed properly and remember to lock the tailwheel http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Download F4U on carrier track (http://www.woodbuddies.com/PF/F4UFM.ntrk)

I think the torque is awesome. The F4U will sometimes flip on its back in a heartbeat (as it should) during slow flight if you punch the throttle too fast but it flies smooth as silk if you've got the settings right as you can see in this track. You won't get this without practising but if you keep at it you'll be hooked and you'll probably run out and buy a silly hat with goggles and start posting lots of rubbish on the forum.

Cragger
06-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Of course I find it more difficult and rightfully so. Now you must think and react more to the plane instead of riding it on rails around the sky. Before the new inertia flight model you could take the stick slam it back and forth up and down kick the rudder left and right and very rarely did you get into trouble or even skid.

Do that in a real plane and I just hope you have your life insurance paid up.

-HH- Beebop
06-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Old_Canuck;

I watched your Corsair track several times and am quite impressed. A static carrier no less.

Well if you can do it so can I! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, it looked like you used "Default" loadout (you weren't "Empty" now were you?). How much fuel did you have?

Old_Canuck
06-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by -HH- Beebop:
Old_Canuck;

I watched your Corsair track several times and am quite impressed. A static carrier no less.

Well if you can do it so can I! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, it looked like you used "Default" loadout (you weren't "Empty" now were you?). How much fuel did you have?

TY, Sir. Will check the fuel settings when I get back home from work, -HH-Beepop. Don't usually change those settings in single player. I hope the track encourages someone. I mean if the OLD guy can do it ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Old_Canuck
06-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by -HH- Beebop:
Old_Canuck;

-HH- Beebop, just got home from work. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Fuel loadout was %100. Tried again with a napalm loadout and it was doomed from the start. Reducing fuel to %25 or %50 might work though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hydra444
06-18-2005, 12:33 AM
I won't say its diffucult.But it certainly has made me realize how MUCH I use the rudder for my gunnery.

F19_Ob
06-18-2005, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Ob:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sgilewicz:

Some planes like cr42 noses over if one try to accellerate to quickly so there is some variation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This message is mostly for the newcomers:

Forgot about tailwheel lock and tried it on the next stationary carrier takeoff. I know it's old hat for some of you guys taking off on the static carrier but maybe some of the newer sim pilots here could use some encouragement. Here's a track that shows how smooth the new FMs are if you have it trimmed properly and remember to lock the tailwheel http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Download F4U on carrier track (http://www.woodbuddies.com/PF/F4UFM.ntrk)

I think the torque is awesome. The F4U will sometimes flip on its back in a heartbeat (as it should) during slow flight if you punch the throttle too fast but it flies smooth as silk if you've got the settings right as you can see in this track. You won't get this without practising but if you keep at it you'll be hooked and you'll probably run out and buy a silly hat with goggles and start posting lots of rubbish on the forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good track OC.

I should probably add to my post that Takeoffs and landings are not a walk in the park, since I said the flyingpart wasn't that hard, and a bit of slopiness sends the plane directly to the worshop.
Landings are quite harder, especially when coming in with damage.

In 3.04 About 40% of my online landings in the il-2 were with one or two controls out (usually elevator and ailerons). That will make u think twice now before attempting to emergencyland, and perhaps considering bailing more often. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-HH-Quazi
06-18-2005, 06:18 AM
My CO and I gave adhered to your advice OC and actually started being successfull at carrier takeoffs. It seems as though he has got it down pat. Me on the other hand, am getting there. Thanks for the tips!

Jumoschwanz
06-18-2005, 06:22 AM
Coming up through every patch of the IL2 series maybe prepared me for 4.01, it did not give me any problems. Sure some things take more care like take-offs.

I think the guys that were always good at flying this sim will have no problems with 4.01 at all. Those that were always challenged by this sim will be still challenged.

It doesn't have as much to do with the FM or patch as much as it does with some kind of natural ability for this kind of thing. Just like I can ride my motorcycle in traffic with no hands while twisted around looking at the cars behind me steering the bike by shifting my weight. Don't try this at home ok?
S!
Jumoschwanz

civildog
06-18-2005, 12:33 PM
It's a lot harder than any other combat flight sim I've played but it is also easier in some ways, too.

It has more workload to it, all that trimming and such - but I would expect a warbird to be harder to fly and twitchier than a Cessna.

It's easier in some ways, too because it feels more like a real plane and acts the way I would expect a plane to when i do something in it. Aerobatics are harder, but the stall buffets and feel of the game makes them more likely to pull off.

I had to make some adjustments to my joystick settings to calm the planes down a bit when making fine movements for targeting. And trimming isn't as inuitive as it is in RL but it's doable.

It's a mixed bag, but I still like it.

Monty_Thrud
06-18-2005, 01:25 PM
More difficult ...yes
Too difficult ...no

We should welcome this fresh challenge..it certainly feels more like flying and besides arn't the options there to fly like 3.04

SKULLS_Virga
06-18-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm sure wishing I had rudder pedals now...

han freak solo
06-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by SKULLS_Virga:
I'm sure wishing I had rudder pedals now...

Yeah, me too.

LEXX_Luthor
06-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Ya, rudder pedals are almost needed now, just like rudder pedals, and rudders, were needed on the real planes. I suggest getting the 40$ racing wheel with pedals. That's what I use and it works great -- the Working Class solution for flight sim rudder pedals.

Also, for now we can turn OFF some of the settings like Tork and Stuff. There has been no discussion of difficulty settings in relation to New FM.

han freak solo
06-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
I suggest getting the 40$ racing wheel with pedals. That's what I use and it works great -- the Working Class solution for flight sim rudder pedals.

Can you compensate for the uneven pedal pressure? Besides the way you use your feet, I mean.

JamesBlonde888
06-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OldMan____:

Hehhehe. I am a spawn and run yahoo and lovin it. I seem to have no problems getting off the ground doing this even in the original. Usually I will get some speed, chandelle and do a slow roll at zero feet over whoever is trundling along the taxiway too.

Cragger
06-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by JamesBlonde888:
Hehhehe. I am a spawn and run yahoo and lovin it. I seem to have no problems getting off the ground doing this even in the original. Usually I will get some speed, chandelle and do a slow roll at zero feet over whoever is trundling along the taxiway too.

Every time someone tries this my trigger mysteriously malfunctions as they fly over me, I better have the crew chief look into it.

OldMan____
06-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by JamesBlonde888:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freelancer-1:

Hehhehe. I am a spawn and run yahoo and lovin it. I seem to have no problems getting off the ground doing this even in the original. Usually I will get some speed, chandelle and do a slow roll at zero feet over whoever is trundling along the taxiway too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just warning. When I am taking off (on runway BTW) and someone doing so crosses my way... I may sometimes... let my finger slip into trigger... by.. lets say.. accident.

Fliegeroffizier
06-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Stupid me...The first time I hopped into a cockpit to try out 4.01 I randomly selected one of the stock missions(I think it came with FB way back when)... Under the German option in Single Missions it was the one for Bf109K called "Defending the Oder"...Man it was a Byatch!! I couldn't control the 109 at all...swinging immediately off to the right, No Way I could get it off the ground...

I persisted...I read all the threads about the New Difficulties, etc...

STILL, it was TOO Hard...!!

Then, after a few hours, the Light went on in my head!! It was NOT an impossible FM(torques etc, etc), it was the darned crosswinds in the thunderstorm!!!! (We NEED Windsocks or something in this SIm!!)

Anyway, by the time I realized it was the Wind factor, I just now loaded teh same mission/conditions, and Darned if I didn't get up on the first try!! Took a good bit of finagling with the brakes, the tail wheel(knowing When to Lock!), the controlled application of throttle, heavy rudder input....Fantastic!!

This is now, with 4.01, the BESTEST flight sim(WWII for sure) ever made!!!

Salute to Oleg!!
http://members.cox.net/fliegeroffizier/1941Salute.gif

fordfan25
06-18-2005, 10:19 PM
its strang. other than the way the US planes want to yaw back and forth like a see-saw i find the FM ALOT easyer for me. every thing just seems to make more sence to me.

Bearcat99
06-18-2005, 10:38 PM
IMO pedals are not a must.. good.. but not a must... what is a must is to have rudder trim mapped somewhere where you can input it in increments, on a slider, on the keyboard,a button on the stick somewhere, and to have your rudder settings as finely tuned to your style of flying as you can get them. That is a must. IMO.. and I am no pilot mind you but from all accounts I have read this FM is the most realistic yet. Stalls are easier to get into.. but they are also easier to get out of... unless of course you are too low or in a P-39. You need that right rudder...... even with tailwheel lock.. but without the odds of a sucessful take off go way down.... I think the planes slip much more relistically now.... notice how they seem to keep going in the same direction... almost flying sideways.... but it is different from before. I did my first carrier TO and landing today.... it was different.. but still good. Im loving this new FM. It isnt a matter of admitting that it is difficult..... it is more difficult than what we are used to.. but then IL2 was way different from CFS.... so it is all relative. If this is a preview of the BoB engine then WOWZERS!!!!!