PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel

DreamerM
11-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Because this deserves to be talked about more and the other thread sucked.

Time Travel:

The time machine is the single most dangerous weapon the universe could ever give rise to. The ability to revisit events, and the ability to change them, would basically turn you into a god, capable of shaping history however you want to.

At the same time, the alpha and omega effect comes into play. The beginning and the end as one. Everything you could change you already have, and you're both dead and not born: everything you've done didn't matter in the long run. Time Travelers live in geologic time: everyone they'll ever meet died a long time ago. You can change anything and nothing at all, because if it hadn't happened that way then you'd never have tried to alter it, making a loop that cancels itself out.

At the same time, maybe the Animus is a time machine in the effect that it could potentially allow communication accross the eons. We know Desmond knows Altair: he's walking in his shoes, it's a colision of two existances even though one of them ended a long time ago.

If the genes contain Altiar's memories, maybe they can contain his soul as well. Altair and Desmond find some way to communicate, and work together in their respective times to foil what Evil Inc. is planning. Maybe we'll be able to take control of Altair directly, not through the animus, actually Become the dread assassin himself.

Or maybe I'm off to write some Doctor Who/ Assassin's Creed crossover fan fiction. I'll get my coat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

DreamerM
11-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Sorry about the Doctor Who comment: I kinda lost my own steam there.

Anyway, time is not linear it's a big...ball. of wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff.

I'm not saying that time travel can't or won't feature. Ubi has wonderfully created a world where anything, anything at all is possible. Their wholey false and awful fake genetic memory talk would not be out of place on an episode of Heroes. It's just a matter of time before someone shows up who can walk through walls and stop time by blinking.

I think Altair and Desmond are heading for some sort of collision of lives. It's not impossible.

LiquidKal
11-28-2007, 03:46 AM
At the same time, maybe the Animus is a time machine in the effect that it could potentially allow communication accross the eons.
No more than my PS3 could.
How could the Animus potentially allow communication across the eons? It's only one way via passing knowledge from generation to generation.
To get 2 way communication you'd have to create some kind of time machine add on for it, but might as well just create a whole new machine for that since the Animus is not designed to be anything like a time machine.

DreamerM
11-28-2007, 04:11 AM
It's only one way via passing knowledge from generation to generation.

Agreed: Altair, as he exists to Desmond, exists like the central character of a series of books exists to us. He's so much information stored away somewhere in Desmond's genetic material, so much dark matter, present but forgotten, like a ghost who can't talk to anyone.

What consitutes a person's soul is a topic of debate. But your memories make you who you are, and if those can live on, then maybe Altair's soul does too, somewhere inside Desmond. Like when you kick around boxes of a dead relative's things, as you do so you feel them there, watching you.

Memory is one thing that closes the gap between times. It allows the past and the present not to co-exist, but to BE at the same time.

Fake science: with enough of it, anything's possible.

LiquidKal
11-28-2007, 05:06 AM
Ahh, ok. I see what your saying now.
I thought you were thinking the Animus was capable of bending time, like the guy in that other thread.

I agree with you, and I think this is the direction they are taking with the Bleeding effect idea. Slowly the memories and by extension the consciousness of the ancestor bleeds into the mind of the subject. I think what they plan to do in sequels is to have Desmond and Altair essentially merge into one person, or create a split personality. Allowing Altair to exist in the present... in a way.

Personally I think of the soul simply as your consciousness. I don't believe in the soul as a spiritual thing that exists beyond our physical body. Therefor, if Altair's memory blends with Desmond's, so does his soul. As our memory is what makes us who we are.