PDA

View Full Version : JAAF Campaign in Palau? And on Tarawa? Is this accurate?

sledgehammer2
11-25-2004, 09:07 AM
I would like to start a JAAF campaign but I am puzzled by some of the choices... I am pretty up to speed on the history of Palau in WW2, and not only that but I looked in my library and I cannot see any reference to the JAAF operating from Peleliu. Was this intended by the campaign creators? Is it something that a future patch may address, like the USMC P-39s at Wake? Overall I am pleased with PF even though it needs some work but what do you guys think about this?

sledgehammer2
11-25-2004, 09:07 AM
I would like to start a JAAF campaign but I am puzzled by some of the choices... I am pretty up to speed on the history of Palau in WW2, and not only that but I looked in my library and I cannot see any reference to the JAAF operating from Peleliu. Was this intended by the campaign creators? Is it something that a future patch may address, like the USMC P-39s at Wake? Overall I am pleased with PF even though it needs some work but what do you guys think about this?

Chuck_Older
11-25-2004, 09:41 AM
I will have to check on IJAAF disposition, but:

For US Marine campaign fixes, have you tried installing the v3.01 or v3.01m patch yet? See sticky at top of forum.

sledgehammer2
11-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Chuck, yes I have installed the 3.01m and I think it is a very good patch. I can just about guarantee that JAAF never operated from Peleliu, and I would probably be just as confident in saying the same about Tarawa. I don't think I am being unreasonable... I have seen some of the threads with Starshoy and others about P-38s and New Guinea, so I know that people are concerned with historical accuracy for these campaigns.

MK2aw
11-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Some of the changes you see from the original release and the current patch was a result of direct feedback to the creator of DGEN the campaign generator. he hangs out at www.simhq.com (http://www.simhq.com) his name user name is "Starshoy".

he is open to listening and tweaking . You can also e-mail directly (dgen@rogers.com) but he might or might not respond depending on how busy he is.

Ok I just posted and saw your repsonse, the new guniea thread I was personally involved in so you know about it then.

Hope this helps.

Mk2aw

Chuck_Older
11-25-2004, 10:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sledgehammer2:
Chuck, yes I have installed the 3.01m and I think it is a very good patch. I can just about guarantee that JAAF never operated from Peleliu, and I would probably be just as confident in saying the same about Tarawa. I don't think I am being unreasonable... I have seen some of the threads with Starshoy and others about P-38s and New Guinea, so I know that people are concerned with historical accuracy for these campaigns. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said you were unreasonable. I just didn't know if you had the latest version of PF. I don't recall seeing any USAAC or USAAF aircraft in my USMC campaign options since I have installed v3.01m, so I thought that may be your problem.

sledgehammer2
11-25-2004, 10:17 AM
I knew you weren't saying I was unreasonable, I meant that as a sort of disclaimer in general to anyone out there seeing my post who might think it was out of line, but I did not sense that from you Chuck. I guess it wasn't necessary at all because I have read enough posts around here to know that the the folks who are into PF/AEP/FB like myself are passionate about this sim, the subject matter and having it be the best that it can be. I will try to email Starshoy but the last few times I tried he didn't answer.

Gato__Loco
11-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Try Lowegrin's IL2DGC:

http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

A bit tricky to set up, and campaigns for many of the new maps are still in development. But it is way better than Starshoy's DGEN. And campaigns can be fully customized. You can ensure total historical accuracy if you want it.

Gato

J30Vader
11-25-2004, 11:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sledgehammer2:
I would like to start a JAAF campaign but I am puzzled by some of the choices... I am pretty up to speed on the history of Palau in WW2, and not only that but I looked in my library and I cannot see any reference to the JAAF operating from Peleliu. Was this intended by the campaign creators? Is it something that a future patch may address, like the USMC P-39s at Wake? Overall I am pleased with PF even though it needs some work but what do you guys think about this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JAAF units were not stationed in Peleliu or Tarawa. They did serve in the South Pacific.

A.K.Davis
11-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Yes, JAAF at Palau and Tarawa is incorrect, but I think included since there is nowhere else to put a JAAF career between '42 and '45.

For more JAAF careers, we'd need:

China-Burma-India
Later New Guinea map
Phillipines
Formosa
Dutch East Indies
Tokyo Area

sledgehammer2
11-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Well, this clarifies things a bit. So it is a matter of having or not having the right/appropriate maps and not lack of attention to detail. Hopefully the right maps will be coming along soon.

MrMoonlight
11-26-2004, 01:12 AM
I was actually somewhat puzzled by the map choices made by the developers of PF. If you want to fly as an IJA pilot, it's slim pickings...for US Army or Marine pilots as well, for that matter.

I would have thought that at the very least, maps of the Philippines and the Solomons chain would have made it into the sim. A CBI map would be great as well.

Wonder if any 3rd party map makers are working on any of these. Right now, if you don't necesarily want a career flying off of a carrier, you're rather limited.

Acme70
11-26-2004, 08:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A.K.Davis:
Yes, JAAF at Palau and Tarawa is incorrect, but I think included since there is nowhere else to put a JAAF career between '42 and '45.

For more JAAF careers, we'd need:

China-Burma-India
Later New Guinea map
Phillipines
Formosa
Dutch East Indies
Tokyo Area <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bump

Acme70
11-26-2004, 08:58 PM
For the JAAF campaign the Tarawa & Palau maps should be removed & for the USN campaign these maps should be changed to ground attack missions only