PDA

View Full Version : Bombs with delayed fuse for Ai and...

Kuna_
10-24-2006, 01:27 PM
...can we have an option to set convergences and custom skins in some selection panel for them too? Something like loadout selection screen for player just for Ai.

I don't care much for skins, but delayed fuses are a must. Otherwise skip bomb is out of question for Ai. I fly Ju-87 campaign and those poor Ai's are dying all the time from friendly bombs (and their own).

If it isn't possible for FB please consider it for BoB and future products.

edit1 @tater
in most of my Ju-87D5 runs with SC1800s most of them usually die, because stock campaign make many Stuka combat flights on 500m alt (on rare occasions they can die even with SC500s). I have yet to see one where I can actually dive bomb from few thousand metars. But I suppose that would be historically correct on Prokhorovka/Kursk front. All except dying from own bombs http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif .

Tater-SW-
10-24-2006, 02:56 PM
You can make AI skip bomb, but it's tricky. It would bea easier with delay fuses (and AI that knew how to execute mast height or skip bombing attacks).

tater

Scharnhorst1943
10-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
You can make AI skip bomb, but it's tricky. It would bea easier with delay fuses (and AI that knew how to execute mast height or skip bombing attacks).

tater

Please tell ... how do you get them to skip bomb????? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Tater-SW-
10-30-2006, 11:47 AM
It can be done, but the attack will be entirely scripted---so if a player were to since their target ship, they'd skip at nothing.

Each flight of skip/mastheight attackers must be only 1 plane.

Have it fly in at the desired bombing altitude at high speed---350kph or higher. Here is the trick, and it requires tons of testing to get it to work. If you set a gattack waypoint, and there is an enemy ship nearby, the plane will pop up several hundred meters in alt, then execute a shallow glide bombing attack. So what you do is set the gattack a ways away from the ship (mess with this in testing, think in terms of over 1 ship length away). The place a waypoint right BEFORE the gattack. Think in terms of plane lengths here. The 2 waypoints will be VERY close together. When the plane hits the waypoint BEFORE gattack, it will open bomb bay and start to climb, timed right, it will pickle the bombs when it hits the gattack without having climbed much. Make sure the waypoint after the gattack is high enough that the bomber will clear the target. Once you get them to skip, you need to adjust the drop distance so the bombs slow down enough skipping that the bomber gets away without being blown up since AI have no time delay fuses.

I'll post a .mis later for ya.

tater

Tater-SW-
10-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Ugh. Yet another "improvement" in the AI, I suppose. WTF are they thinking? This USED to work. Doesn't any more, go figure. Set AI to fly under 100m, and they jump up to 130-140m and porpoise.

It used to be you could set AI to fly at 67m, and they'd be happy as a clam, now it is 100m. I sure wish they would stop fixing stuff that wasn't broken. $#@!$#@!$@!#@. Ahem.

So basically, they should not have bohtered putting a SWPA paint job on the A-20G as a default, because there is just about no mission it actually flew that the game is capable of representing. They cannot parafrag right at all (formations go into line-a-fricking-STERN to attack and have to avoid the front frags, on top of bombing from WAY too high), They cannot properly skip bomb or masty-height bomb, and now you can't even FAKE the AI into doing it, like you could in previous versions. Brilliant. (I also tested 2 kinds of b-25s in case anyone is wondering).

I KNOW what would make it work, too. If I had them attack FRIENDLY shjips, they'd happily fly at whatever alt I told them to, and dutifully drop when I told them to. We really need a toggle for the AI to IGNORE ALL TEAM STATUS. With all planes set to the same side, I can even get them to parafrag at treetop altitude.

tater

Scharnhorst1943
10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Too bad. It is a good idea. Oh well, here is hopping for BOB ...

Tater-SW-
10-31-2006, 11:39 PM
I just tested in my PF stand alone (3.04 version), then ran the exact same mission in 4.05m.

In 3.04, I have 2xB25C (2 x 1 plane flights) with 4x500lb bombs fly at 380kph at 11 meters alt (the first waypoint, 6 minutes out from the target is at 35m alt to give them time to sink down to 11 and gain speed without swimming). They fly in, drop their bombs, which skip into the IJN DD they are attacking, and fly away. I made the waypoint AFTER the gattack climb and turn so they avoid colliding with the DD. The B-25s are about 15 seconds apart, and the 1st one clips the DD on the bow with 1x500lb bomb. The 2d B-25 hammers it and sinks her, barely avoiding a collision with the superstructure. Looks really cool.

I run the exact same mission in 4.05m and what happens? The planes start at 35m, and climb---nearly vertically---to ~140m, then level and fly to the target. They wobble in pitch the entire 6 minutes to the target, porpoising. They drop at this high alt, which doesn't work cause they don't skip.

tater

Tater-SW-
11-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Won't be fixed. It was done to make AI afraid of low alt so they wouldn't crash. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

tater