PDA

View Full Version : Lagg immune to bomber fire

Jumoschwanz
10-06-2005, 06:37 AM
I see threads here and there where some have problems attacking bombers. I have noticed that the Lagg fighter, is especially immune to hits from bomber gunners. Where a Spitfire, 109 or P39 will burst into flames, the Lagg just flies on and on.

I often set up gunner practice where I will take the gunner position in a bomber, and have 16 opponents in the QMB attack. This is when I noticed, the last planes to go down from gunner fire were the Laggs. So I reversed roles and attacked formations of four bombers while I was in the lagg, and it worked well.
Almost every time I attacked, I would be elimintated by hits on the pilot, while the plane would not even be smoking at all. And even then it often took around two-hundred hits to kill the pilot completely.
I could move right in and fly in formation with four Ju-88s or whaterver, they would pepper me with hits and I would float away and return for more.
It is funny how much hoopla there is over the damage model of some of the more popular planes in the sim, and stuff like this goes with no mention at all.
So if you are having trouble attacking bombers and the Lagg is availiable, then get in it and give it a try!

Jumoschwanz

dogstar4000
10-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Apart from the Lagg 3 IT (tank destroyer) I always thought Lagg 3's were designed as bomber interceptors anyway?

tigertalon
10-06-2005, 06:48 AM
You certinly know those **** invisible trees, that cause many of us crash to death repeatedly. It is impossible to set them aflame or to blow them away. They just stand there no matter if nuke falls on em

Well, those are the "Deltus Pinus Nigrus", the wood they make Lagg3 of.

PBNA-Boosher
10-06-2005, 06:56 AM
It's most likely Lag.

However, the LaGG is a very sturdy aircraft.

Also remember, just because you don't see damage textures on the plane doesn't mean it's not damaged.

ForkTailedDevil
10-06-2005, 07:11 AM
The Lagg has become one of my favorite rides as of late and I can tell you on thing. It is not immune to bomber gunners that is for sure.

FlatSpinMan
10-06-2005, 08:25 AM
I have been killed a few times by bomber gunners in it, though as you said, mostly pilot kills. Boosh does perhaps have a point about the damge not being visibly modelled. The CR42 absorbs hundreds of rounds with little visible damage but then all of a sudden it crashes or bursts into flames.

alert_1
10-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Dont forget that LaGG won the war http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Genie-
10-06-2005, 08:39 AM
well in CW most of the time while VSS was attacking our bombers in LaGG, they would completely ignore our 15 mm cannon from F2 and just go for the kill. You can sit on his six, pour a lot of bullets in his frame.. but notin't ... if you were lucky you could kill the pilot, but heh if one goes down you are out of 15 mm...

Kuna15
10-06-2005, 09:44 AM
LaGG is one of the most durable planes from front hemisphere in game.
Therefore LaGG can soak up many hits (my opinion is a bit too much).

JG52Karaya-X
10-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
I see threads here and there where some have problems attacking bombers. I have noticed that the Lagg fighter, is especially immune to hits from bomber gunners. Where a Spitfire, 109 or P39 will burst into flames, the Lagg just flies on and on.

The thing is that the russian copy of the french Hispano Suiza V12 engine (M105) which is used on all of the Yaks and LaGG3s is almost invicible - it's even worse overmodelled in that regard than the BMW801! I can't think of any reason why the M105 family of engines shouldnt light up and die as easily as let's say a DB601/5, Merlin or whatever inline engine.

ForkTailedDevil
10-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Boy all this Lagg loving and bashing. Having spent hours online with this bird I can say it is suprisingly tough but the enging if it in the right place is toast. In fact I get shot down very often from engine hits. Also the wings are very weak and it can't fly much faster than about 350mph or it starts to shake violently.

Enforcer572005
10-06-2005, 07:06 PM
i got clobbered pretty often by bombers while making my VVS cmpn.....very often my windscreen would wind up covered in oil, but it is a rather tough bird.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-07-2005, 09:27 AM
If you check your cockpit panel in the Lagg3, towards the lower left is your 'shield' indicator.

Bank 1 becomes exhausted after about 15 20mm hits http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ta,
Norris