PDA

View Full Version : The most underrated plane in the game?

Clan_Graham
05-07-2005, 01:52 PM
In my opinion it's the I.A.R. 80 and 81a.

Turns well.
Climbs well.
Dives pretty good.
Has a good ammo load out.
A nice cockpit.
It's easy to land.
You can T&B with it or B&Z if you like.

Good all around plane.
I'm surprized I don't see it in most of the servers.

RedDeth
05-07-2005, 02:05 PM
it may be underrated but it is also underpowered which makes it a sitting duck in against midwar planes and thus not underrated.

its underpowered and undergunned by midwar

ploughman
05-07-2005, 02:11 PM
I thought it was a 1940 mark, there isn't much from 1940 that wouldn't have a really hard time in 42/43.

3.JG51_BigBear
05-07-2005, 02:16 PM
It was originally put into production in 1940 but I think they were in service all the way to 44 if I'm not mistaken.

Von_Zero
05-07-2005, 03:10 PM
from 1940 to 1945 in fact...
It was designed in 1938-1939, using the fusselage of the P.11 and P.24. (virtually it uses the same rear fusselage, but lenghtened a bit by increasing the distance between the *how do you call those things that give the shape of the fusselage?*).
At the begining of the war, only few were in service, but their number increased considerably until the Stalingrad campaign. They were used in Crimea, in the whole 1942-1944 period, in Ukraine, and also for intercepting USAAF bombers in the summer of 1944, up high, where their weak engine proved it's serious shortcomings.
Was also know for having a dissastrous oil usage, consuming large quatities, because of the bad design of the french Gnome-Rhone. (the original project was for Jumo 211, but because of the imposibilities in delivering it, it was redesigned for using Bristol Mercury engines, but again, due to the high degree of coruption existent at that time, the project was ordered to be equiped with those ****ed french engines )
After swiching the sides, was used for fighting agaist the LuftWaffe, but it proved itself hoplessly outclassed by the german planes and pilots. It's role was switched for ground attack ops, again suppering losses, because of the insufficient protection.
Only the IAR-80 should be a mark '40 plane. The 81a (or better said the one with 4x 7.92mg and 2x 13mm) was a 1941 design, and the heavy MG's were .50's, not Mg-131, like we have in game. The 81c (2x mg151/20) appeared in 1942-1943.The 81c, should have only 2 7.92mg, the "real" 81a had 4 mg and 2 cannons.
Also, it would be nice if we would get the versions with MG-FF cannons, or 6 light Mg's...
it is really underated in this, game, i personally flew it alot, and aldough it's not as good as many other planes, i find it very good, and i prefer it over an Emil, for example. the only thing i don't like about is the horrible backward view in the 81 model, wich it' shouldn't really be there, since the configuration of the cockpit remained the same for all the models, and the complete futility of the mirror, wich is pointing a a very wrong angle.
Still, flown carefully, and WITH A WINGMAN, it can be a dangerous opponent.

Bremspropeller
05-07-2005, 03:13 PM
The P-11 be sure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Von_Zero
05-07-2005, 03:15 PM
uhhh.. double post..
Why can't i delete the post? Crappy boards...

AlGroover
05-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I.A.R is the sort of plane that makes me look a better pilot than I really am. Ditto Ki-61 Tony.

Franzen
05-07-2005, 10:50 PM
As with the P-40 I like the I.A.R. a lot, but I like power more. They are both very good planes but underpowered. I used to fly the I.A.R. online but anything from 42' on has too many advantages.

BTW, is there a connection between the I.A.R. and Howard Hughes?

Fritz

ImpStarDuece
05-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Personally I feel that the B-239 is possible the most underrated plane in the game. There was a reason why the Finns nicknamed it "Pearl of the Sky"

Reasonable firepower, very good roll, very nimble both in instant and sustained turn, great dive and above average high speed handeling. Mix that up with the good forward view, nice gunsight, generally good visibility, rugged frame, ammo counters and balanced controls (no nose shake, ect) and I think that it more than holds its own.

Most people look at the stubby little beer can with wings and snort in dismay. Not fast enough and slow in a climb. Well, I have downed La-7s, Yaks, 109Ks and Mustangs in it and people tend to be really suprised when I turn with them at 400-500kph and chase them through a zoom climb.

PBNA-Boosher
05-07-2005, 11:46 PM
It is the P.11, no doubt about it.

the P.11 can take and turn the tide against any plane. You just have to be wise enough to control your turning radii.

Pirschjaeger
05-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:

the P.11 can take and turn the tide against any plane. You just have to be wise enough to control your turning radii.

Agreed. With good situation awareness and patience you can do quite well with the P-11.

Fritz

Von_Zero
05-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Franzen:

BTW, is there a connection between the I.A.R. and Howard Hughes?

Are you reffering to the H1 racer? Well, the only serious similarity i can think of is the position of the landing gear... the wings are totaly different,the fusselage, as i said was copied from the Pzl 11. There are also rumors of the wings being replicas of the SM 79 wing's, scaled, but, regarding this part, i had the chance to talk with Mr. Dan Antoniu, (undoubtably the only alive expert about this plane -he studied it for over 10 years, before publishing a book on the subject http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif ) and he explainded to me that it was bogus. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
ImpStarDuece, i agree, the B239 is also a plane that most ppl avoid. The the F2A has (or at least should have) a slight performance advantage, i still prefer the fin version because of the gunsight. I'd like a B-339 version too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

F19_Olli72
05-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
There was a reason why the Finns nicknamed it "Pearl of the Sky"

I like the Brewster (B239) as well. The finns also called it "Pylly-Waltteri" (Butt Walter) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

robban75
05-08-2005, 09:29 AM
The P-51 Mustang.

Every now and then there are threads on how the Mustang in the game does not live up to peoples expectation of it. But man, treat the lady right and it will allow you to take on any other plane in the sim. Simply put, the Mustang rocks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Chuck_Older
05-08-2005, 09:46 AM
The most under rated plane in the game is any plane that is considered inferior that happens to have a guy behind the stick who knows what he's doing

Pirschjaeger
05-08-2005, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by robban75:
The P-51 Mustang.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Underrated and never talked about.

Fritz Franzen

BigKahuna_GS
05-08-2005, 12:01 PM
S!

Underated or Undermodeled ?

Underated is the P40 & P39N1

Undermodeled is the P38

___

Bremspropeller
05-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Well thinking of PF, I'd like to have the P-38 and P-40 families completed - or at least filled up a bit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Yog_Shoggoth
05-08-2005, 12:18 PM
I hardly ever fly anything other than the i-16 anymore.

Just took out two 262s set to veteran.

zjulik
05-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Most underrated plane in the game...tricky!
There is a small plane, totally horizontal, up in the Port Stanley Range, and it is EXACTLY long enough for a test runway. I think that one would be my choice, yes.

There are also som fine horizontal planes on the Online Island 4 (or something) map too. But I don`t think they are underrated, since they are much more visible and most of you have probably seen them.

BaldieJr
11-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:

Agreed. With good situation awareness and patience you can do quite well with the P-11.

Fritz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I'm not mistaken, this marks the begining of your spam career.

SeaFireLIV
11-22-2005, 02:49 PM
B239...

The most under-rated good plane in the sim.

ploughman
11-22-2005, 02:53 PM
The B-239 is really very good. Climbs like a stair-lift though but if you start high you can have lots of fun on the way down.

danjama
11-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Most underrated plane?

BF109