PDA

View Full Version : DRM (if any) on PC version?

darious777
10-24-2007, 06:26 AM
I know it's early, but does anyone know what, if any, DRM version will be used by the PC version.

After my experience with 2K Games's use of securom on Bioshock, I have swore off buying anything using securom again. Or from buying anything from 2K games, but that's neither here nor there.

yehonatan.roth
10-24-2007, 11:37 AM
DRM=?

Darkeye321
10-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by yehonatan.roth:
DRM=?
hmmm smells like some sort of RAM to me

arbiol
10-24-2007, 11:47 AM
i think that's a safety system against illegal copies.

mynameismyself
10-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Darkeye321:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yehonatan.roth:
DRM=?
hmmm smells like some sort of RAM to me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh.My.God.

DRM= Digital Rights Management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

yehonatan.roth
10-24-2007, 11:50 AM
so what your asking is: "would it be harder to boot leg AC?"

is that what this is all about?

or is it just an annoying system that you don't want to deal with?

worth the game? or not?

please explain...

*Dizzy*

mynameismyself
10-24-2007, 12:01 PM

worth the game? or not?

please explain...

*Dizzy*

Well, we PC users have to deal with stupid protections like StarForce(used for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Prince of Persia: Two Thrones) which SOMETIMES completely destroys the system. Also, even if you UNINSTALL Starforce drivers they still stay in the system, they act like an adware.

BTOG46
10-24-2007, 12:05 PM
And Sony installed a damned rootkit with it's DRM protected Music CD's and that was a BIG security risk.

Darkeye321
10-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by mynameismyself:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darkeye321:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yehonatan.roth:
DRM=?
hmmm smells like some sort of RAM to me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh.My.God.

DRM= Digital Rights Management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i knew it, just wanted to piss u off http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

SuperbPerry
10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
as long as they don't do a Take 2, and make it have to be vertified by a server, like they did with bioshock. Know it is impossible that the game wont be hacked and cracked. But true, the longer the it takes before it is hacked the bigger the sales I guess. but please no server vertification!

katz_bg
10-24-2007, 01:22 PM

worth the game? or not?

please explain...

*Dizzy*
When I bought the download version of PoP3 from ubi's site it used proactive starforce and I only had one chance to activate it. as soon as I reinstalled my XP I lost all chance to activate the game again. I tried contacting Ubi on the matter on several levels, but to no reply.

But I doubt that's the reason he's asking. it's a 9999999/10000000 certainty he's interested in how long will it take to be cracked so he can boot-leg it.

darious777
10-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by SuperbPerry:
as long as they don't do a Take 2, and make it have to be vertified by a server, like they did with bioshock. Know it is impossible that the game wont be hacked and cracked. But true, the longer the it takes before it is hacked the bigger the sales I guess. but please no server vertification!

Bingo!

2K/Take-Two's implementation of securom aka screwurom has soured me forever on 2K games or anything running securom.

No game, NO game, is worth the **** I had to go through with Bioshock.

BTOG46
10-24-2007, 01:32 PM
lol, The latest Settlers game uses SecuRom and after patch 1.1 if you have stuff like Daemon or Alco installed, it uses online activation, but when it does, it means you can put the DVD back in it's case, it's a legal Ubi no cd hack. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

darious777
10-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by mynameismyself:
Well, we PC users have to deal with stupid protections like StarForce(used for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Prince of Persia: Two Thrones) which SOMETIMES completely destroys the system. Also, even if you UNINSTALL Starforce drivers they still stay in the system, they act like an adware.

Securom has gotten to be quite similar, acting very much like a rootkit in order to evade removal.

Basically I'm no longer going to be giving my money to companies that treat their paying customers like criminals. This game is looking like it's something I would really, REALLY, enjoy but if I have to put up with anything like I had to with Bioshock... I'm just not going to bother.

There's plenty of other ways that I can spend my money.

I take it that at this point nobody has even heard a rumor.

yogibbear777
10-25-2007, 08:55 AM
I too am looking forward to this game, however if it uses securom or starforce or <insert another crappy drm here> then i will definitely not be playing this game. And if it implements some form of limited activations, well then that will just be it. No more 2k for me.

Bioshock was an eyeopener in how badly PC gamers will get treated if we don't say no to bad drm policy. Surely there is a nice balance where us legit customers don't get the short end of the stick like what has happened with all the BS i had to go through with
"B"io-"S"hock.

I am awaiting notification of what/if-any DRM schemes are implemented to make sure that i agree with my purchase as I can't even trust reading the fine print on the tin at the local EB anymore to discern whether a game has drm or not.

yehonatan.roth
10-25-2007, 09:58 AM
iam a pc user dude...

just diden't know the term that's all... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

GPNM
10-25-2007, 10:09 PM
DRM is a piece of ****.
It's funny, games like Pandora Tomorrow don't work on my PC because I have XP 64-bit which doesn't allow Ring Zero Access (aka rootkits). I tried playing Rise and Fall Civilizations at War (legally purchased mind you) and it wouldn't run. After some diagnostic tests and talks with people who had the same issues, it appears that the fact that the StarForce protection drivers require Ring Zero access the game would not start.

It's little things like that, that will ruin PC gaming. Seriously, playing a game on your PC now is like signing over your soul.

Now, some Copyright Protection Technologies work very well and are user-friendly. Steam for instance, has never failed me, and Valve has top notch customer support.

In any case, I know that Ubisoft won't go with StarForce on Assassin's Creed (they've stated that they will never use StarForce again). I'm guessing that they'll go with some basic Securom or TAGES like most games nowadays do. Honestly, Securom works fine, and for the most part is easy to get rid of. Bioshock was a rare instance.

darious777
10-26-2007, 05:33 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to support Valve today. Seems like they've arbitrarily disabled the activations of several of their customers.

ie - the people who bought the game are no longer allowed to play it on what appears to be no more than a whim on Valve's part.

Bioshock, Valve, EA's Hellgate London Eula... if this is the future of PC gaming then I'm outta here.

That's why I'm interested in what, if any, scheme AC may implement. I'd rather not get my hopes up on this game only to have to pass on it because Ubi also decided to implement some asshat customer hating protection scheme.

-------------------------

http://consumerist.com/consumer/complaints/valve-deacti...y-314690.php?cpage=2 (http://consumerist.com/consumer/complaints/valve-deactivating-customers-who-bought-orange-box-internationally-314690.php?cpage=2)

Some excerpts

"All their products are activated online via unique serial numbers through the Steam service."

"One week later, Valve, via the Steam program, inactivated all Orange Box games (after they had already been active for some time), stating that they are in the "incorrect territory."
There was no warning or anything, just completely inactivated. "

"The thread that was started on www.valve.com (http://www.valve.com) has been removed by the operators there."

And one interesting comment from the peanut gallery:

"BY PHILDAWG AT 10/24/07 05:45 PM

THIS IS NOT JUST THE ORANGE BOX! People this has actually been affecting many people with their Half life 2 purchases, Counterstrike source, etc. Also in Australia (since it's so close to Thailand). Australian retailers actually purchased Thai versions, unbeknowst to the Australian retailer and sold them in their brick and mortar stores. We are talking about games up to 3 years old that at 5pm last Friday suddenly stopped working. 3 YEARS OLD!!!"

GPNM
10-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by darious777:
I wouldn't be so quick to support Valve today. Seems like they've arbitrarily disabled the activations of several of their customers.

ie - the people who bought the game are no longer allowed to play it on what appears to be no more than a whim on Valve's part.

Bioshock, Valve, EA's Hellgate London Eula... if this is the future of PC gaming then I'm outta here.

That's why I'm interested in what, if any, scheme AC may implement. I'd rather not get my hopes up on this game only to have to pass on it because Ubi also decided to implement some asshat customer hating protection scheme.

-------------------------

http://consumerist.com/consumer/complaints/valve-deacti...y-314690.php?cpage=2 (http://consumerist.com/consumer/complaints/valve-deactivating-customers-who-bought-orange-box-internationally-314690.php?cpage=2)

Some excerpts

"All their products are activated online via unique serial numbers through the Steam service."

"One week later, Valve, via the Steam program, inactivated all Orange Box games (after they had already been active for some time), stating that they are in the "incorrect territory."
There was no warning or anything, just completely inactivated. "

"The thread that was started on www.valve.com (http://www.valve.com) has been removed by the operators there."

And one interesting comment from the peanut gallery:

"BY PHILDAWG AT 10/24/07 05:45 PM

THIS IS NOT JUST THE ORANGE BOX! People this has actually been affecting many people with their Half life 2 purchases, Counterstrike source, etc. Also in Australia (since it's so close to Thailand). Australian retailers actually purchased Thai versions, unbeknowst to the Australian retailer and sold them in their brick and mortar stores. We are talking about games up to 3 years old that at 5pm last Friday suddenly stopped working. 3 YEARS OLD!!!"
I was one of the people whose Half Life 2 Episode 2 stopped working. I called Valve, they fixed it in a few days. No biggie.

Truthfully speaking though, I'm against online activation. In fact, copyright protections isn't necessary 100% to ensure good sales for a game. For instance, Galactic Civilizations 2 did great and they didn't have so much as a cd-check (from what I understand).

In any case, most copyright protections nowadays, infringe horribly on users rights, and in some cases violated constitutions of the territory in which they run. It's becoming a war AGAINST the gamers now. That's something that simply can't be won.

SuperbPerry
10-26-2007, 05:36 PM
I think the clue is opposite-psychology (Direct translation from Norwegian ^^), by having no DRM at all all the hackers out there will be so frustrated that they finally smash their PC screen just to see som results. It is a competition for them you know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif If just the PC game industry went together making DRM free games for a couple of years all these teams would eventually fall apart... (Look at that pink elephant! =D)

GPNM
10-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by SuperbPerry:
I think the clue is opposite-psychology (Direct translation from Norwegian ^^), by having no DRM at all all the hackers out there will be so frustrated that they finally smash their PC screen just to see som results. It is a competition for them you know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif If just the PC game industry went together making DRM free games for a couple of years all these teams would eventually fall apart... (Look at that pink elephant! =D)

The main part of that is that the companies spend millions of dollars on these security methods which also bring up the price of the game. A cracking group cracks the protection within weeks at much lower costs (if any at all). It's just not economical.

LFox
10-26-2007, 09:32 PM
All i can say about DRM for pc games is its a waste of time. Securerom the NEW securerom the all mighty supposedly impossible to crack and work around was cracked within like 2 days for bioshock.

What does that tell you? it's a waste of money, it's a waste of time and the ONLY people the protection protects the game from is ironically the person who bought it. This is because you get constant errors about emulation, your key can't validate blah blah blah blah blah. When i bought Doom 3 LEGIT from EB Games, i had to wait for a CRACK before i could play the stupid game because it kept complaining about emulation no matter what i did.

steelgrim
07-22-2010, 06:30 AM
drm is totally useless and is only inconveniencing customers. skid row hackers already cracked drm. Now its possible to play assasins creed 2 without a constant internet connection.

El_Sjietah
07-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Nice rez with brand new information. Thanks!