PDA

View Full Version : OT: small qeustion about case fans

MadRuski
04-23-2007, 03:13 AM
Hey i have 4 fans atm, 1 back outtake, 1 top outtake and 2 side intakes, well i was wondering if they need to be placed in certain spots around the side to so their job?

reason i am asking is because my comp still has a tendency to overheat as high graphics games freeze 15 mins into the game. (i know my comp can run these games at these graphics).

MadRuski
04-23-2007, 05:52 AM
http://www.breaktaker.com/albums/pictures/signs/Bump.jpg

ytareh
04-23-2007, 06:25 AM
Well the first real "IL2" PC I bought had an Intel Pentium Prescott 3.2 processor-these babies were called "Presc-HOTS" so I learned a thing or two about fans .In fact it became a bit of an obsession if Im honest!!!Then I went AMD socket 939 and that was the end of the heat issues.
First off are you sure the fans are blowing in the right direction?!Fans at the front of pc should blow into it, while those at back should blow out.This might seem like an insultingly obvious statement but how many people actually check the direction their fans flow .A small piece of paper is good for finding out -if it 'sticks' to the fan its being sucked 'in' and if its blown away its being pushed 'out'.A small minority of fans actually have an arrow to show direction of flow.
'Big' 12cm fans are WAY better at moving air (AND QUIETER-as you become a serious fan 'user' you realise that the noise just gets ridiculous at some stage-for me it took a Vantec Tornado which is ear percingly loud!)
Id guess the average 12cm fan moves more air than 2-3 8cm fans...
Fan air flow is measured in cfm (cubic feet per minute )Off the top of my head if its less than 20-25 its probably a waste of space.
The design of your case is all important in seeing how many /where the fans can be fitted.The grill/mesh at front and rear can be cut away fro a good cooling boost but you really need to replace it with another more free flowing grill guard -you WILL catch your fingers in there and the 'cut' mesh is razor sharp.Also you will need to dust your pc a lot more as you send more air through it .
Download (free) Everest and you can monitor temps of cpu ,graphics card ,hard drive,motherboard chipset etc (if hardware has the correct sensors}.Often only one overheating component is the cause of the problem but the heat build up spreads through the whole case.
Sometimes you need to mount a fan right up close to the problem heat source.
I probably should have said first that you should take side off case and point a big house fan at it and run pc game for a long time to see if overheating occurs to confirm heat is actually the problem.
If you post pc specs including case and fans make/model it will be easier to give specific advice.
Do you overclock?Whats the room temp where you aree (obviously a big factor)

ytareh
04-23-2007, 06:31 AM
No fans at front?No cooling air for hard drive?Top out take may be removing cool air before it reaches cpu?Lots of factors at play here .Everest or MBM software would help isolate problem maybe .In general as a starting point in a complex area I would reccomend air be sucked in at front(low) and blown out the back(high)

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-23-2007, 06:47 AM
As ytareh has stated, your fans should be installed to create flow to the hardware that needs it not just abient air movement in your case. 4 case fans should be enough if configured correctly though so I'd consider a couple other things.

First is Ambient room temperature. What is it? my pc case temps fluctuate at least 10 degrees due to nothing but the ambient temp and I regulate my household temps year around. I know it sounds small, but if you're sitting at your pc and sweating then maybe your room is too hot.

Second is an aftermarket CPU HSF (heatsink fan). Depending on your CPU, a good one can usually be had for $20-$40 and most are easy to install. They can have dramatic impact on CPU temps and, by proxy, case temps and stability.

If you are able to get this remedied and are still having similar issues, it may be your VC. Though there are aftermarket cooling solutions for peripheral hardware, I'm not the one to guide you through that.

TB

Chris0382
04-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Go to newegg.com and get a Zalman fan to start.

MadRuski
04-23-2007, 07:46 AM
well i should mentioned earlier that i had installed these 4 fans myself not to long ago once i bought a new video card, on of the intake fans is aimed directly at the Video card, while the other is a little to the right and down the bottom.

i am sure its a overheat problem as this room does get quite hot at most times in the day (as i live in Australia) and these are mostly the times when the overheats happen, while if i play around 10 - 12 at night, it does not freeze at all.

i have:
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, 512mb
AMD Athlon 64 processor,3000+,2GHz
1GIG of Ram
AC97 Audio codec
4 fans

horseback
04-23-2007, 08:07 AM
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/zalman-cnps9500/index.x?pg=1

I put one of these on my Athlon 64 3500+, and the average temps dropped from 55 Degrees C to the low 40s, even on summer days (I'm in So California, myself). Also got one of their video card coolers for my 7900GT, and it works noticably better than the 'stock' fan did.

I recommend their products highly.

cheers

horseback

Bearcat99
04-23-2007, 08:31 AM
I have 4 case fans.... 2 outs in the back.. 1 in on the side and 1 in the front... I also have one of those graphics card coolers that mounts into an empty card bay and of course the CPU fan. I truied water cooling but to my chagrin I never got it to work right... I used to have a ASUS A7N8X bd with a XP3200 CPU.. and a 6800GT OCd.. I would overheat all the time... since I switched to a 939 I havent had that problem.

ytareh
04-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Well it being Summer in Oz doesnt help....if your AMD is socket 754 rather than 939 (as Bearcat said )thats another disadvantage ....Youre room temps mean youre gonna have to do more than the average amount of cooling.A good aftermarket cpu heatsink/fan unit (although the socket 939 'stock' one isnt bad at all-I use a Gigabyte G Power one which is supposed to be best according to some of the mags although theres an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro (?) and the Zalmans are well rated also) )might be worth looking at.A graphics card cooler from Arctic Cooling or Zalman might be even better .Check the direction of flow of those fans ....If you cant FEEL the flow its probably (In Oz CERTAINLY)not up to scratch.
What sort of graphics settings do you use ?The 7600GS (the 512Mb is deceptive ,its not THAT good a card but should be fine for medium settings)probably wouldnt like being ran at perfect settings in high resolution ....

MadRuski
04-23-2007, 03:30 PM
it does like it actully, runs really smoothly and no lag....just manages to freeze the games 15 - 20 mins in, but when i play on lowest graphics it is good.

i even tried running BF2 playing lowest settings but highest rez and it still froze!! although my old card Nvidia Fx 5700 never did, it worked exceptionaly well.

ytareh
04-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Well it doesnt sound to me like you should use highest res in most modern games ,certainly not in IL2 or BF2.Thats as demanding as some of the highest settings.Not to mention that greater than 1024x768 on a flat panel makes it much harder to see enemy 'dots' in the distance ....
Id say with a little tweaking of your cooling you should be ok....Make sure you dust inside your pc regularly but be careful in there(static and rough handling to be avoided!)