PDA

View Full Version : Ah, those beautiful 'little things'...

JunkoIfurita
06-15-2005, 11:44 PM
It's the same with every patch release - the flight model was a huge thing in 4.01, but even so I'm finding new 'little things' (or not so little) that are impressing me just as much.

For example, has anyone checked out the damage model on the IL2 yet? Whereas before you could just put holes into the thing and see straight through them, now bullet holes are revealing the inner structure of the wing - spars 'n all. And the metal of the wing peels back. Nice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I wonder if that's a whole new damage model, or just cosmetic? Either way, it's very nice.

Also, has anyone noticed that on nearly all the planes, being hit can cause lubricant and oil leaks? I was flying a Beaufighter and got flacked to heck - when I reviewed the track on externals, there were all these trails of oil along the sides of my aircraft. Nifty!

The invisible Static Airstrip #4 object - excellent!

All these little unmentioned tweaks and enhancements - this game just gets better.

----

LEBillfish
06-16-2005, 12:20 AM
The IL2 DM has been that way for a while....if you like that you'll love the J8...it still shocks me. Also the E4 when it is ditch landed (no gear)...the frame actually bends and the cowling springs open revealing the engine.

As to the oil I "think" I noticed that too though may have just been wishful thinking. But if you want to see something also old but very kewl...check out how the I16 radiator opens and closes....

Like I always say....PF add ons?...heck, I'm still trying to see all of FB, let alone AEP....

Who could complain about this sim. Better bang for the buck then a 50 year old lot lizard hehe. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

partic_3
06-16-2005, 12:52 AM
You're so right, LEBillfish! The merged installation is so massive. There are still aircraft I have never flown. Maps I have never used.
And I play a lot!
Imagine if Oleg had never existed...
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

NerdConnected
06-16-2005, 01:09 AM
JunkoIfurita,

Yep, I'm very, very pleased with this version.

Some observations:

I was at first a little worried about the AI but now I've seen them in action, I'm impressed (AI junky here ;-)

The ACM looks a lot less arcadish and a lot more convincing and increases a lot to the immersion . There are more situations where fighters swoop down and make a single pass and zoom away and it seems that, maybe because of the new FM, there's a lot more happening in the vertical now than in 3.04.

I'm also glad that Maddox fixed the firing. Fighters now generally give shorter bursts instead of one long burst. Not always, but I've seen it a number of times now. Maybe related to experience level of pilot.

Also the entire atmosphere of the game has changed a little. Colors seem brighter and there's more contrast. Could be result of the extra shadows of the new clouds or changes in lighting.

I'm not completely sure about this, but some sound stuff got better. Unless my hearing has changed, to me it looks like engine sounds got a little bit better. More observation needed here.

Throttle control on missions got better. Flights no longer fly towards target at full throttle, but maybe this got something to do with the new NGEN.

There's more, but overall, I'm very pleased with 4.01 and it's a big, big improvement over 3.04.

Overall, I think Maddox did a wonderful job.

Mark

TROOPER117
06-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Here's one,
Got shot up in my Buffalo yesterday by a Ki 43 over the Singapore map. Did a split s and legged it for home, loosing fuel.
Managed to land with the Ki 43 in pursuit. As the Buffalo screeched to a halt I glanced out of the cockpit and looked at the port wing. Holes everywhere with fuel still pumping out. I bailed and watched as the pilot legged it as behind him all this fuel was splashing all over the runway. The Ki 43 put a couple of rounds into it then and it just blew up, sending the pilot flying!....Brilliant!!!

Regards...Dave S

SeaFireLIV
06-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Well, I noticed a lot more flashes and puffs of smoke when striking a 109 in my Spit Vb. Also, as others have noticed, there`s a greater modelling of collisions on the ground. AI DO fly more realistically, no more sudden brake turns, they pass and fly on and they also run more often. They are also much more blind; a couple of times I`ve caught 109s and 190s in flight by surprise.

It was good before but now it`s even better.

Vlad381
06-16-2005, 06:52 AM
since I got 4.01 I've mostly played online and loved every minute of it. I agrre with all the above, there's just so much stuff. In fact I'm gonna start up single player and verify some of your claims.

I also noticed the MW50 on the late Bf109 series aircraft now works properly. Before turning it on at any altitude was a death senteance to the engine.

Also on the 109F4 (my fav plane) the new stall characteristincs make flying it just so sweet.

I have one problem with the new runways. Trying to taxi off them generally flips the plane, but other than that, fab stuff!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Saunders1953
06-16-2005, 07:48 AM
LB--the J8 DM is great, isn't it? Like everyone else, I'm noticing things that might have been there, but I'm just seeing for the first time. When aircraft strafe the ground, the strikes are somehow, er...more better. Same for the torpedo explosions--the column of water washing over the ship is impressive. I changed the "EFFECTS" in the config file just before the patch (great puffs of smoke on those cannon hits), so maybe that is the reason. Either way, great eye candy!

Also, I was running a few of my homemade old anti-ship missions last night--all AI, so I could just watch the action--and in one, I had 12 TBFs going after some Japanese cruisers (Russian actually) and destroyers. The 3 filghts were spread out about one kilometer or a little more apart, on a clear day, heading into the target at about 50-100 meters high. I locked onto the last ship in the port flight so I could watch the all the TBFs going in. As planes took hits in the center and starboard flights and went into the drink, I could plainly see them tumbling, with the water splashes--I can't adequately describe it, but the detail at that distance was amazing, and it sort of took my breath away. I don't know, it was just thrilling to watch. I swear there is more detail at longer range than before.

Gotta love it!

ZG77_Nagual
06-16-2005, 08:17 AM
If you detonate a zero when he's reasonably close to his wingman you get two for one.