PDA

View Full Version : jfchandler's locked thread

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 01:13 PM
I wish to know why jfchandler's thread on locked threads has, itself, been locked. I think it is legitimate to continue the discussion of this topic rather than be directed to the posting guidelines. I would take it as a courtesy to the contributors to jfchandler's thread if it were reopened.

I would add that i have no objection to this thread being locked if the other one is reopened.

Thank you.

Thietris
Citizen of D'ni

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 01:13 PM
I wish to know why jfchandler's thread on locked threads has, itself, been locked. I think it is legitimate to continue the discussion of this topic rather than be directed to the posting guidelines. I would take it as a courtesy to the contributors to jfchandler's thread if it were reopened.

I would add that i have no objection to this thread being locked if the other one is reopened.

Thank you.

Thietris
Citizen of D'ni

RivenGurl
11-21-2003, 07:42 PM
i myself get annoyed when people lock my threads. no offense to anyone or anything...

~ Goddess of the Lagoon

Zard0z
11-21-2003, 07:45 PM
If your thread is more than 6 down its dead anyway. Just start a new one, it keeps your thread in the current pile. Its a definite good tactic in these places.

Pepsi1953
11-21-2003, 08:10 PM
You don't have to start a new thread just bump it.

~Pepsi~ http://pepsisplace.homestead.com/files/pepsismilie1.gif

When you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.

Jerle
11-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Zard0z, it may be YOUR tactic but it's not a good one. If people keep spamming new threads, they're going to get locked. PLEASE reading the posting Guidelines, guys? If there's a thread that is about the SAME subject, then post in it. If a thread that you want to post in is on another page, POST IN IT. Please don't be like Zard0z, the super-spammer, and start threads on the very same subjects forty-three eleventy times. It gets really REALLY old.

Thanks, you've been a wonderful audience, good night.

Administrator - Community Management
Mystcommunity Forums (http://myst.chucker.rasdi.net/board/index.php)
D'ni History and Language Resources (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=3871034&m=6021026)

Sheldarn
11-22-2003, 05:27 AM
Heh, night Jerle.

Oops, did this just bump it to the top of the pile? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Schweppes_Ale
11-22-2003, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerle:
Please don't be like Zard0z, the super-spammer, and start threads on the very same subjects forty-three eleventy times. It gets really REALLY old.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL! Right on.

"Myst aint for tots."

Zard0z
11-22-2003, 05:42 AM
Topic are topics, the forum will decide their relavance regardless of me. Maybe we should discuss what topics are in the first place and figure out how to use them to our advantage. But then again, Im just a colonialist...

Sheldarn
11-22-2003, 05:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But then again, Im just a colonialist... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That doesn't mean you're less than anyone else though...

So what's your take on what a topic is, and how it's best used?

RivenGurl
11-22-2003, 06:59 AM
how do you "bump" a thread??????

~ Goddess of the Lagoon

Sheldarn
11-22-2003, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> how do you "bump" a thread?????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi RivenGurl.

The act of posting a reply into a thread where the threads are sorted by 'most recent post time' will move it to the top of the list of topics even if it has dropped onto page 2 or further.

This effect, while automatic, can be forced by replying to the topic with the word "Bump". By doing so, you're basically 'bumping' the topic back into a place where its contents are most likely to be seen.

Alahmnat had this used to good effect in the previous incarnation of the forums to keep a "This is not the BETA forum" topic up near the top.

Hope this helps,
Tarl Raven

WendyG
11-22-2003, 07:12 AM
To "bump" a thread, simply post something, anything in it. It brings it back to the top of the first page. Even if it was at the bottom of the 6th.

Note that this can become frowned upon if it is abused. So try to only do it if you have something to add on a subject and would like to continue the previously ongoing discussion.

Or if, for example, you asked a puzzle question and it drops to page 3 without an answer, you can always bring it back to the top by adding something to it. Maybe someone who reads the board after you "bumped" will be able to help you.

It's as easy as that.

WendyG

Sheldarn
11-22-2003, 07:15 AM
As WendyG kindly pointed out, it can become abused. I should have put that in my post too.

Tarl Raven