PDA

View Full Version : df servers

Codger1949
10-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Why is HL chock full of df servers with open cockpits and full of La-7s. I just hate red and blue arrows all over the place. And I really hate the La-7. I was thinking of enduring the headache and hassle of setting up maps and then the darn server but I have the feeling everybody prefers df servers with open pits. It just mystifies me this preference for arcade.

Bearcat99
10-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Not all of them are like that... I prefer coops myself anyway though. I hate those arrows too.... if I fly open pit it will be w/o icons... and sometimes open pit can be fun.

Codger1949
10-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Yes. Open pits without icons would work just fine too. I'm going to have to investigate coop, once I learn what it is.

Freelancer-1
10-17-2007, 07:37 AM
There are actually more servers now with higher difficulty settings than at any time I can remember. And they are well populated most of the time.

Just go down the list and click on each one. It will show the settings for that server.

If you are really specific in what you want, hit the squadron forum and find a squad that suits what you are looking for.

Ernst_Rohr
10-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Codger,

Try Winds of War, Spits vs 109, Historia, Zekes vs Wildcats. Those sound like a better match to what you are looking for.

The La-7 does tend to be overused on a lot of the df servers simply because its such a easy plane to handle, and it has great armament, and its very tolerant of heavy handed flying.

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr:
Codger,

Try Winds of War, Spits vs 109, Historia, Zekes vs Wildcats.

These are where I spend 95% of all my online time.

potpie69
10-17-2007, 09:15 AM
I know ALOT of guys that hate La-7 myself(it is a fun plane to fly sometimes)just because it is over modeled. I'll rarely fly it. Most people that I fly with will look for a nice coop. with most diff. settings on. I personally need at the very least the icon to mark where I am, otherwise I'll get lost. But, to each his own. Limited icons are alright, but I can do without them.

Xiolablu3
10-17-2007, 05:34 PM
There are a lot of other servers with different settings mate.

My personal favourite is Ukdedicated2 with cockpit always on, externals and only close freindly icons.

They have realistic planesets and realistic settings, Axis versus Allies, no arrows, realistic scenarios. Very friendly regulars.

There are also a lot of servers with cockpit always on and no externals. Warclouds, Winds of War, SPits Vs 109s, Zekes vs Wildcats, Ukdecdicated3. These servers all have pretty realistic settings.

Be sure to make your chatbar bigger. Open it and drag the box bigger with the mouse. Make it 6 lines of text so you dont miss any server messages or chat.

Persevere with IL2 online mate, its seriously amazing once you find a your favourite server and a good crowd to fly with. One of the best online games I have ever played.

Oh and BTW to Potpie. I really doubt the La7 is much overmodelled. It was the best prop plane in the world at that time between 0m and 3000m (ie very low level). DOnt be surprised that it dominates online servers where everyone flies around (unrealistically for the Western front) at around 3000m, the La7's perfect height. Its dominace falls off rapidly above this height.

Spits, Mustangs and Bf109's were seen as useless as fighters on the Western front if their performance fell off above 3000m. Note how the Typhoon was dropped as a dedicated fighter when it was found that its performance fell off rapidly above 5000m. Fighter planes on the Western front were made for fighting around 6000-9000m or even higher, otherwise they were not seen as real fighters.

The La7 is a very good plane, but give me a Dora, Spit 25lbs or Me262 any day over the La7 for an early 1945 plane.

Codger1949
10-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

The La7 is a very good plane, but give me a Dora, Spit 25lbs or Me262 any day over the La7 for an early 1945 plane.

I love that sig. That is so funny and typically British, I think. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Xiolablu3
10-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Codger1949:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

I love that sig. That is so funny and typically British, I think. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, yeah definitely.

'The World is about to end, but dont swear in front of the ladies!' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif