PDA

View Full Version : I'm admittedly on the fence about buying ACII now...

ARandomKid
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
...simply because I can absolutely see this happening:

Step 1.) Consumer buys ACII for PC, installs it, etc. and is absolutely happy with their purchase.

Step 2.) Consumer's internet, for reasons not under his control, explodes or is otherwise incapacitated due to a faulty connection (the thought of their internet connection actually exploding is quite hilarious, but I am certain that the meaning of this step can be inferred. Internet is removed due to a recent storm or something - happens often enough in my case at any rate).

Step 3.) Consumer is left with no way of enjoying the game he has legitimately purchased due to these new copyright protections.

Step 4?) Or worse, the consumer's connection randomly disconnects, instantly removing the consumer from the game and completely souring their experience. (As I understand it, you need a constant connection to be able to play on PC now)

How does Ubisoft plan to tackle issues such as these? I've heard plenty of reasonable actions, such as having the consumer "check in" every once in a while to make sure they've bought the game. I like that one myself.

sgt_brent
01-26-2010, 06:14 PM
This is the first I've heard of this.. I used to game on PC years ago, but have since moved to console, for reasons unspoken!

I think you raise a valid question.. How to deal with those types of issues..

On one hand, I think everybody and their dog has internet on their PC nowadays, but you're right - Maybe not in all cases a steady connection.. But for those who don't - I would think a game should be "activated", if you want to call it that, by means of telephone, and have that game connected with your NAME, address, phone#, etc.. Not IP address, or whatever it uses now..

An active connection to PLAY? That's absurd, IMO..

ARandomKid
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by sgt_brent:
This is the first I've heard of this.. I used to game on PC years ago, but have since moved to console, for reasons unspoken!

I think you raise a valid question.. How to deal with those types of issues..

On one hand, I think everybody and their dog has internet on their PC nowadays, but you're right - Maybe not in all cases a steady connection.. But for those who don't - I would think a game should be "activated", if you want to call it that, by means of telephone, and have that game connected with your NAME, address, phone#, etc.. Not IP address, or whatever it uses now..

An active connection to PLAY? That's absurd, IMO..

I absolutely agree with your last point there, and it's partly the reason I make the topic.

Feel free, devs/community mods/anyone that knows otherwise, to correct me on this issue by telling me I am acting silly and really should look in this, that, or the other place. My understanding of a topic can at times be greatly misinformed, especially at those times (such as this) I actually have the courage to speak up and state my concerns.

I do have faith in Ubisoft customer support still about tackling issues like the one described in my initial post should such an issue arise, via the methods stated in sgt_brent's quoted post (or, of course, an alternate acceptable method will be just fine too). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

the amolang
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Have they said that you have to be online the WHOLE time you play? Or is it just to log in before you start? If you just have to log in it would make people a LITTLE less upset, but it still sucks...

ARandomKid
01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by amolang:
Have they said that you have to be online the WHOLE time you play? Or is it just to log in before you start? If you just have to log in it would make people a LITTLE less upset, but it still sucks...

I'm absolutely cool with this (log-in before you start), so long as there is an option to store saves locally. Being screwed out of gameplay progression due to a faulty internet is certainly a bad move, even if it is in the name of stopping piracy.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62098

^That's the article I quote from:

What will happen if I lose my Internet connection when I play the game?
If you lose your Internet connection the game will pause while it tries to reconnect. If the Internet Connection is unable to resume you can continue the game from where you left off or from the last saved game.

Will I need to be online the whole time when I play the game? Including for single player? Yes.
Yes. You will need to have an active Internet connection to play the game, for all game modes.

These two statements seem to support different sides of the issue...so some confirmation on this would be nice. But I guess my thoughts on this are that ACII is not an MMORPG, so don't make it have requirements in that category (constant online access)...

LCGuardian
01-27-2010, 12:54 AM
While its not an ideal situation (I do prefer to disconnect my PC from the net entirely and turn off the firewall when I'm playing a game), I'm willing to make some sacrifices in order to have games made available on PC. I worry that if piracy runs really rampant, developers and publishers will restrict their products to the consoles, and for many reasons I'm reluctant to get a console. If this (for me small) sacrifice is necessary to create a successful system to reduce piracy then I'm ok with it.

mantledarcanum
01-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ARandomKid:
Step 2.) Consumer's internet, for reasons not under his control, explodes or is otherwise incapacitated due to a faulty connection (the thought of their internet connection actually exploding is quite hilarious, but I am certain that the meaning of this step can be inferred. Internet is removed due to a recent storm or something - happens often enough in my case at any rate).

I see this happening quite a bit. Using my own past experiences, this tends to happen a LOT with Comcast (and Sympatico back in the day. I'm not sure how it is now.) due to area, being a lame company, weather.. well, you guys know about the whole ISP jive. When it gives, what happens to pass the time while it is out? A PC or PS2 game is pulled out to be played and enjoyed. Currently, our beloved ISP has done this about 4 times in the last week.. each outage lasting about 3 hours on average. My daughter and I have been collecting flags in Assassin's Creed 1 during this time (her eyes are better than mine heh.).

So rambling aside, Ubi. Please reconsider this mode of anti-piracy. I hate to be a jerk and say this, but it is 100% certain that pirates will find a crack around it, just like they did with Jerusalem. I really would hate to see such a large case of 'few bad apples' here for those who go the legit route.

FiskMunk
01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
This has really gotten me down... Waiting months for AC II - And then waiting a few additional months for the PC version.

Then, they throw in a horrible DRM. Isn't it just great?

Oh well, at least I don't live in Haiti...

ARandomKid
01-27-2010, 04:52 PM
They really should reconsider this, but I'll probably still buy it. My internet, while obscenely slow and not fit for MMORPG play, isn't down THAT often and when it is, I've got other offline games such as Dwarf Fortress to keep me occupied in that area of things (not to mention actual work I'm probably procrastinating by playing it anyways :P).

purplebelt
01-27-2010, 05:39 PM
does this also mean no resale on pc games

ARandomKid
01-28-2010, 12:01 AM
I just hope that Ubisoft is looking at the obscene amount of hate they're getting from doing this. Piracy going down I can understand, but the majority of the world just isn't ready for online single player games yet.

ThisBlowsDude
01-28-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm sure Ubisoft doesn't give a crap, but i hope they do, but they don't. This is called the ''future'' dude. You can't stop the future. The whole idea behind online single player is ******ed. I was actually waiting for this game to come out on PC, but now i don't give a crap anymore. What if you have internet problems, what if you don't have internet? No control over your OWN saved games or even your OWN game, why the fawk play? Pfew...sorry for that.

ClingingMars
01-28-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm kinda neutral because PC gaming for me has devolved into MMOs only cause of the convenience of a 360. I see the issue of a steady connection, but feel like Ubisoft could fix it up with a patch where you would only have to log in to play.

Reddisback
01-29-2010, 05:54 AM
@ ARandomKid

this is why i'm a Console Gamer. Consoles will give you the change to play the Game as long as you wish and you dont have to worry about, if the Game will Install proberly or not?

Michelasso
01-29-2010, 06:20 AM

^That's the article I quote from:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What will happen if I lose my Internet connection when I play the game?
If you lose your Internet connection the game will pause while it tries to reconnect. If the Internet Connection is unable to resume you can continue the game from where you left off or from the last saved game.

Will I need to be online the whole time when I play the game? Including for single player? Yes.
Yes. You will need to have an active Internet connection to play the game, for all game modes.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are they mad? An active connection for a single player game? Some people will never learn. The pirates will come out with a NO_CD/NO_Connection patch in a short time as usual. So that the dishonest people will play the game freely, while the honest customers will have to deal with all kind of annoying problems after having given Ubisoft their hard earned money.

Danvish
01-29-2010, 06:55 AM
They really should reconsider this, but I'll probably still buy it. My internet, while obscenely slow and not fit for MMORPG play, isn't down THAT often and when it is, I've got other offline games such as Dwarf Fortress to keep me occupied in that area of things (not to mention actual work I'm probably procrastinating by playing it anyways :P).

That's nice in theory... but imagine yourself that you're in the middle of a super-exciting assassination or near the end of a very diffucult fight - and all of the sudden your internet connection fails, and you're forced to go out and start the whole thing again. Just doesn't make sense.

ARandomKid
01-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Danvish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ARandomKid:

That's nice in theory... but imagine yourself that you're in the middle of a super-exciting assassination or near the end of a very diffucult fight - and all of the sudden your internet connection fails, and you're forced to go out and start the whole thing again. Just doesn't make sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^Which is why I feel they should reconsider. But then, I also get to experience the excitement of doing it all over again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (which will admittedly get stale after about twice, maybe)

Also, if it fails temporarily, I don't think it will be like "Your connection is off for a millisecond = instant ejection from game lolol". But it never is like that, sadly. :\

Stormpen
01-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Which is why I feel they should reconsider. But then, I also get to experience the excitement of doing it all over again. )

Unfourtunately, some of us aren't that patient. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4313328429_a7f9186daa_t.jpg

Danvish
01-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Stormpen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Which is why I feel they should reconsider. But then, I also get to experience the excitement of doing it all over again. )

Unfourtunately, some of us aren't that patient. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4313328429_a7f9186daa_t.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. And if you have a really faulty connection, you can be stuck doing the same mission again and again and again.

I do not support piracy in anyway, but I do want to suggest that IF pirates manage to overcome this security as well, Ubisoft should really reconsider this whole policy since it will really only offend the customers instead of help them.

Stormpen
01-29-2010, 10:54 PM
And if they're going to release the alleged patch that disables the copy protection, what's the point?

It'll keep down piracy for a bit, but it's not that much of an acheivement.

EDIT: I've realised we all sound kind of whiny. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Danvish
01-30-2010, 04:47 AM
We're paying customers. And we're about to pay Ubisoft $60.

They delayed our game, and now they are introducing a whole new system that creates problems to almost %90 of the gamers.

I believe we have every right to complain.

Daroth_343
01-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Danvish:
And we're about to pay Ubisoft $60.
I'm not. I'm done complaining to Ubisoft about the way they handle their PC conversions, now I'm just going to vote with my wallet.

Danvish
01-30-2010, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Daroth_343:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Danvish:
And we're about to pay Ubisoft $60.
I'm not. I'm done complaining to Ubisoft about the way they handle their PC conversions, now I'm just going to vote with my wallet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly agree with you. And I believe that ACII will be a major test to Ubisoft and its new security system. However, if this new checking system proves to be impossible to use, ACII and ACIII, when it comes out, will be the final games I ever buy from Ubisoft.

I've already stopped buying other Ubisoft games - such as Far Cry 2 and Call of Juarez. And that's only because the marketing of Ubisoft. The developing teams are still one of the best out there, and I salute them.

Stormpen
01-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Well they obviously don't really care what we think, since they delayed the game and introduced the stupid copy protection and they increse the price on top of everything.

Windrius
01-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Stormpen:
and they increse the price on top of everything.

Don't forget that we also get the DLC's for free http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Danvish
01-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Windrius:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stormpen:

Don't forget that we also get the DLC's for free http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget we had to wait another 4 months. Again.

Stormpen
01-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Windrius:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stormpen:

Don't forget that we also get the DLC's for free http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. But considering the 4 month delay...

thebutcherhead
01-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Will this effect people's ability to mod the game on PC? Cause if it does I have absolutelty NO incentive to buy AC 2 or any other game by Ubi on PC.

The only reason I buy PC games is for the mods, so if a console game comes out, and I like it, sometimes I would get the PC version also if the game had a descent collection of mods for download on the net. Like Elder Scrolls Oblivion, they had thousands.

It was definately worth getting for PC. I hate when games can't be modded for graphics or new weapons, armo, or locations it gets so boring when they don't and then I have to wait and spend $60 dollars for the next game, which I've stopped doing.

Danvish
01-30-2010, 09:34 AM
And it will kill (the already quite dead) 2nd hand markets.

Jeez, it seems that no matter what Ubisoft is doing, it damages us PC players.

And to all the guys who says and will say "stop complaining" - we have the right to complain as paying customers. Please understand that.