PDA

View Full Version : New to the game

Maeksevhin
11-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Hiyo, I picked up il-2 1946 about a month ago after I decided to buy a joystick to play some of the old X-Wing games I had lying around. After I got bored/frustrated with that, I remembered how much fun I had with Sierra/Dynamix's "Aces" games (Pacific & Europe), and since those don't work on my computer, I went and did some research and came to this little gem.

I've been having a blast, took me a couple days to even figure out how to take off/land/fly around without crashing (I played those Aces games when I was like, 10, on easy) but I like to think I've come a long way since then. I still suck, but I can at least shoot down enemy fighters now without slowing down time. It's still kind of rare (like, 1 in 3 missions or so rare), but it's a marked improvement. I'll admit though, the fun is starting to wear a little thin, haha, mostly because it takes 20+ minutes to fly to the action (flying in formation sucks), and because I suck so much I either get shot down or my wingman get all the kills and I don't use any ammo. But I like to think of it as a challenge.

Anyways, I've been spending time on the forums here absorbing all the advice and information I can find to improve the gameplay experience and get better, and finally decided to just make an account. I've had most of my questions answered by reading around, but you never know.

I've always been a "fan" of WWII (As much as you can be a fan of arguably the worst thing to happen in human history that is), especially the airplanes. I was the only kid in my elementary school who knew what the Luftwaffe was, among other things.

I also spent some time in Okinawa on a university exchange and got to see first hand various remnants of the battle scattered around the island, from bullet holes dotting some of the older, more durable structures, to the caves the Okinawans used to try to get away from the fighting in. Needless to say, it makes the Okinawa map very nostalgic and a little haunting to fly on.

So that's that. You won't see me online, live in a dorm and the only internet is down in the common area, and its slow. But I'll be honing my skills offline as best I can. I gave up on the stock dynamic campaign generator after I kept bombing the same airfield over and over and over, and switched to the Lowengrin one and am enjoying it much more.

Choctaw111
11-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Hello and welcome.
I am glad that you found your way to Il2.
It is the best game/sim in this genre to date.
Even after flying this thing since 2001, there are still things that continue to surprise me in Il2.
You will find that this is a very good forum, with many knowledgeable people not only in the Il2 sim, but also in historical details.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, anything at all, and it will be promptly answered I'm sure.

Buzzsaw-
11-13-2009, 09:35 PM
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4430/74sqn600bfu4.gif

Salute Maeksevhin

I can remember the first time I flew the original IL-2 Demo. It was an incredible revelation, scrambling the P-39 in a thunderstorm to intercept a Ju-88. I am sure you had a similar moment when you first flew the game.

Let me tell you that online is the best way to enjoy IL-2, flying against human opponents provides the greatest challenges and the greatest rewards.

But of course, it takes some time to learn the ropes online, a lot of the people flying the game are very experienced and for a new pilot, it can be a rough introduction.

If you are interested in flying with a group of guys who can speed up the learning process, consider RAF74.

We will train you in the basics, and provide an enviroment where you can learn under the protective wing of experienced pilots.

Check out our website:

http://www.raf74.com/

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5056/10yearscopy.gif

PanzerAce
11-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the addiction http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

What Buzz said is correct: The best fights are going to be online, BUT, some of us have been playing this game almost since the day it came out, and so it will be very rough on a new flyer.

However, there are some steps you can do to ease yourself in.

First, fly QMB missions to practice gunnery. Start with friendly bombers, then enemy bombers, and finally enemy aircraft (be sure to adjust their level as well as you get better, but start with rookie).

Once you feel comfortable flying the QMB stuff, you can either jump into a single player campaign to practice some more, or go straight to on line play.

When you do decide to join online play, I would recommend a server with: a fair number of players (~20 or more), and with "less than real" settings. By this, I mean go for a server that allows externals and the so called "wonder woman" view. Some people think this is stupid, but I find it more fun, and it helps new players, since they might not yet have the situational awareness to really succeed on a full real server. I would recomend the "Skies of Fire" or the "RCAF_FB.com" server.

Both of those severs will generally have players on that are more than willing to help out with any other questions you might have.

doraemil
11-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi!

I found it best to peruse Bearcat's nugget's thread!

that is THE most awesomest thread!

Also my own training experience was enhanced by Quick mission builder.

I like the Okinawa map since everything is on that Japanese airbase in the island (if you pick US and airstart) in front of you.

You can practice strafing on the tanks or the plane row. You can turn AAA off and practice touch n go's. You can turn AAA on and get some AAA suppression exercise. You can select target airfield or scramble (and fly over there).

But since its spooky for you, I'm sure other maps have those targets also . . .

For my gunnery practice I felt it weird to shoot my own style so I set up the enemy with C-47's (LI-2's will work). They are slow and even the biplanes (like the I-153 Chaika) can catch up to them.

Go to mission4today.com and they have lots of extra user made campaigns, and use the common area internets to d/l missions and throw them on your pen drive and take 'em to your PC. Lots are very good and it will give you hundreds of hours of offline play.

Maeksevhin
11-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and advice! I'd love to try playing online, but like I said, right now it's a no go. But if I ever do make it online, I'll check you guys out.

When I was trying to figure out how to land (one of my first disappointments with the game was the so-called "Tutorial", what a waste, this has to be one of the only games i've ever played that doesn't have an interactive tutorial), I used the Okinawa map because it was so familiar. It's not necessarily spooky, haha, but it puts things in a weird perspective when you learn more about the Okinawan (not Japanese) side of the Battle of Okinawa. I can fly on other maps with a sense of detachment, but on Okinawa its like "Hey, I'm flying over where I lived!".

Right now I live in Hawaii, so for it and Okinawa, it's pretty cool to be able to explore the islands from the air.

Right now I'm flying missions in a P-40E because I've always like it, and it seems pretty easy compared to some of the other planes I've given a go. I'll admit I don't have the patience for practicing a lot of the finer skills in the game, once I figured out how to take off and land, without destroying the plane, I pretty much jumped into campaigns.

I do play the QMB though as kind of a warm up, or to try something out, etc. Usually after I read something here, like practicing gunnery by shooting bombers since they're big targets, and setting them to ally since they don't shoot back. I still have a tendency to get on the bombers six, on any planes six really, and I've read that's a big no-no here, but I like to think I'm getting better.

Man I'd like to try online though, haha. But aside from the circumstances of my internet, I'm actually not sure my computer can handle it, I can barely handle the game offline, game freezes up every time someone comes on the radio (I may just turn that off but I'm lazy).

gizmo60
11-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Hi there,

You may have seen this already but if not give it a whirl.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...3110283/m/8911062445 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/8911062445)

It'll teach you the basics and save a lot of frustrating time trying to figure stuff out on your own.

Cheers

Zeus-cat
11-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Welcome Maeksevhin,

I wrote the training campaign that gizmo60 mentions. It was created for two types of people; people brand new to the game and those that want to do a lot of practice with takeoffs and landings. I have received many compliments on the campaign and I think you will find it very helpful. Feel free to ask questions about any problems you may have.

In addition, there are many very good campaigns you can download and play offline.

Blindman-
11-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Welcome to our friendly community.

Another source of training missions is the "2 minutes to action" series. My signature is linked to them so just click my sig to get to the download.

Are you at the main campus or the campus at Hilo?

Maeksevhin
11-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks to you guys too for the welcome.

Zues-Cat, your "Straight From the Farm" campaign was actually the first thing I did when I found my way here and read the Nuggets guide. If you can take off and land on a carrier, you can take off and land on anything, I suppose! Granted, I can still barely land on carriers, but I at least get most of the plane to stop, even if some of it ends up in the ocean.

Blindman, that's actually what I've been looking for! Some training missions that deal with combat, I'll have to check those out.

I'm on the Manoa campus here. It's alright, but sometimes I wish maybe I'd gone there, get off Oahu.

And strangely enough, after four years here, despite my interest, I have still not made it to Pearl Harbor. Though one of my Japanese teachers told a hilarious story about how Japanese people are pretty embarrassed when they go there (but they still go there anyways because they are the ultimate tourist), and she in particular tried to tell people she was Korean.