PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried First Eagles?..

Dagnabit
03-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Greetings All,
I got a copy from GoGamers a few days ago and for the first time out ...well let me say it could be worse.
The graphics for the planes, and cockpits look great.
The ground scenery is very redundant though, a field with a hedgerow and a building on the corner of said field, and soooo on.
I thought it was very arcade style as to the FMs of the planes.
I think this game has alot of potential, and Im not saying it isnt fun. But it isnt exactly one of the "must have" sims.
Yhey are talking good things as far as adding to the three planes currently in the game.
Sound wasent too bad, guns sounded good and nice tracers (unsynked), and nice explosions when you hit something.
Also the bonus disc that is a documentary on WWI, is not encluded in the retail box, and you will need proof of purchase receipt to order, its "free"
Some of you folks might want to wait a bit for the price to go down, I paid $32.00 USD delivered.

Regards
Dag

leitmotiv
03-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Fine if you like having to mod or rely on modders for virtually everything. I think it is fifth-rate. Download the latest version of OVER FLANDERS FIELDS for a real WWI aero treat, and keep your powder dry for the ultima Thule KNIGHTS OF THE SKIES.

Waldo.Pepper
03-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Fine if you like having to mod or rely on modders for virtually everything. I think it is fifth-rate. Download the latest version of OVER FLANDERS FIELDS for a real WWI aero treat, and keep your powder dry for the ultima Thule KNIGHTS OF THE SKIES.

+1 (word for word)!

But I didn't think that much of OFF. Not the communities efforts fault. The underlying MS structure that sucks and blows at the same time.

FE_pilot
03-18-2007, 01:19 AM
I have played it and as soon as i saw IL-2 1946, i never went back to that horrible game they call a flight Sim.

You might as well wait for Knights Of the Sky for a ww1 sim that is truly great.

ruby_monkey
03-18-2007, 02:25 AM
It's good fun. Like the Strike Fighters series, it's good for pick-up-and-play; and, like them, if you have trackIR then it really shines. Add-on planes, cockpits, weapon packs, and the like? See above. You have to choose carefully but there's plenty of quality stuff out there. Don't forget that the same enthusiasm, dedication, and plane-nerdism, that gave us the top-quality add-ons in Il-2, is alive and kicking in these games too.

For flight-model fidelity, aircraft model accuracy (for the most part), and code stability, I'd go with Il-2 any day; but for the ability to dive straight into single-player action, and lose oneself in it, out of the box, Strike Fighters and its siblings wins for me. As always, YMMV.

leitmotiv
03-18-2007, 06:06 AM
CFS3 sucks and blows and that's why poor OFF will never be anything but a sow's ear that's trying mightily to be a silk purse---Waldo.Pepper got it right.

I thought Third Wire was on track with WINGS OVER VIETNAM and WINGS OVER EUROPE, but FIRST EAGLES was an eye-gouge. To pay premium price for four flyables and little else takes nerve, and to never augment these four with a patch takes the nerve of a highwayman. It is basically welfare for the designer, TK. Most of us are not thrilled by do-it-yourself flight sims with hundreds of mods to incorporate.

JG52Uther
03-18-2007, 06:44 AM
leitmotiv you seemed really keen on FE when it first appeared.

leitmotiv
03-18-2007, 07:15 AM
That's right, but all the FM glitches, and TK leaving it to the modding community to fix them really did it for me. I liked his designs up until FE. Now I am not so keen on do-it-yourself flight sims. The fantastic number of mods I've had to add to SF, WOV, and WOE were annoying and tiresome. I do not really like "flight sim light" anymore, either. With WOV and WOE, at least you had a lot with which to play, but four planes in FE was absurd. I thought TK would add more with a patch, but no, that was not the plan.