PDA

View Full Version : I can finally fly no icons

mortoma
05-01-2008, 09:42 AM
After 7 years flying with icons on, so I could tell what was what and who was who, I now can turn them off. Reason why is because I upgraded to a far more modern PC that is about 6 times more powerful than the one I have used for 7 years straight. Now I can fly with higher screen resolution, higher AA and Aniso and maxed out detail settings. I can tell one plane from the other a lot farther out and they are no longer specs in the sky until more than 1 click away. Of course everything looks better too with water=4 and forest=3!!

People used to make fun of me for admitting that I flew icons but I knew it was because I really need to.

Sirrith
05-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Im trying to fly no icons on a 15" screen, and 4x AA, but not maxed out details http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif its hard. hopefully with my new PC I'll be able to do same as you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SeaFireLIV
05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
The nice thing is, you`ll start to feel a little more like the real fighter pilots. IDing targets from a distance not from the icons, but from their position, or formation or even flying style. then when closer spotting those tell tale `black crosses`.

But it won`t always be perfect, sometimes you`ll miss-identify, sometimes you`ll be caught unawares while focused on a ground target by a surprise 109 (or whatever) attack, just like in reality.

Choctaw111
05-01-2008, 01:10 PM
The more "realistic" you fly, the more fun it is. I am happy to hear about your new rig. I understand that there are people out there that can't fully appreciate what Il2 has to offer with being hardware limited.

M2morris
05-01-2008, 01:13 PM
That is great, congradulations, I really want to get to that point. Good job.

DKoor
05-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
The more "realistic" you fly, the more fun it is. I am happy to hear about your new rig.
+1

Wildnoob
05-01-2008, 02:51 PM
congratulations !

OMG, must be horrible to fly like that.

K_Freddie
05-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Being doing 100%+ for at least 5-6 years...
Not only do you learn faster, but you become a much better 'pilot'.
We have a lot of newbies (New to IL2) on our server, and we push them straight onto our difficult server.
Within 2 months we will have a more than competent pilot to contend with.

After that, the only problem is playing on non-100% servers.. you tend to get taken out quicker.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Wildnoob
05-01-2008, 04:08 PM
if at least arcade servers put a correct allied vs axis planeset, things would be much more better.

I can't play with general aircraft list to both sides.

Bearcat99
05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Congratsa... I have all that on a 24" WS.. and I still use icons.. albeit very tight icons... F set to .8 E set to .7 ..... it is good to go no icons once in a while for me.. but I have a hard tiome seeing.. even with my decent rig.. so I prefer the icons... There is nothing to be ashamed of.. and those who were laughing at you because you flew with icons for whatever reason... were idiots.

FeiHu
05-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Congratsa... I have all that on a 24" WS.. and I still use icons.. albeit very tight icons... F set to .8 E set to .7 ..... it is good to go no icons once in a while for me.. but I have a hard tiome seeing.. even with my decent rig.. so I prefer the icons... There is nothing to be ashamed of.. and those who were laughing at you because you flew with icons for whatever reason... were idiots. +1 Sometimes off,sometimes on.Just depends on my mood.

R_Target
05-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I try to leave them off but I have a cheater button mapped to scroll icons. Head-ons have a significantly higher pucker factor without the range finder.

Another good half-measure to wean yourself off icons is to use the mini-map to vector yourself to within 10k-15k of some AI bandits and see if you can find them before they find you.

Bearcat99
05-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I prefer to fly without icons offline... I find true teamplay much more difficult online without icons.. IMO tight icons can make up for the deficiencies of having 2D monitors.

crucislancer
05-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Kudos, Mortoma. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I went no icons for offline gaming a few months ago, and it great for immersion, except that I don't have a powerhouse PC to play on. Identifying a target at 800x600 res is trying to say the least, but I cope. Hopefully I can get a more modern PC before BoB comes out.

M2morris
05-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by M2morris:
That is great, congradulations, I really want to get to that point. Good job.

Oops, I thought you were talking about the little MAP icons, you know the little airplanes on the pop-up map, but your are talking about the aircraft labels that you see next to a plane in the distance. God I hate those things, I never use them.

BWaltteri
05-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Being not a masocist nor a rambomaniac, I increase the difficulty gradually.

Feathered_IV
05-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
The nice thing is, you`ll start to feel a little more like the real fighter pilots. IDing targets from a distance not from the icons, but from their position, or formation or even flying style. then when closer spotting those tell tale `black crosses`.

But it won`t always be perfect, sometimes you`ll miss-identify, sometimes you`ll be caught unawares while focused on a ground target by a surprise 109 (or whatever) attack, just like in reality.

Couldn't have said it better myself http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

LEBillfish
05-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Congrats on the upgrade!

Actually in contrast to ,ost I never cared for icons....Now I don't have some super rig, and in fact now till I get my cataracts fixed I can barely see at all and still don't like them....Always tried to use the planes profile to determine type.

Now don't get me wrong, I've chased down friendlies....Yet in most cases the profiles are so very different it's easy to tell.

Icons kind of kill the immersion for me.

K2

Bewolf
05-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Icons all were my biggest pet peeve in this sim. I have not so much problems with F6 or outside views, but icons are the immersion killer #1 for me. Even "realistic" servers have them, which is a great downside to realism. Plain sucks to have aircraft with odd little numbers and letters ontop of them.

So yes, gratz to your new rig.

LEBillfish
05-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Well frankly they could be more tolerable IF the range function wasn't there...Simply just say a plane number without the name and plane type...Yet no matter what you always get the range. In any case, the only time I could stand them was when they had no color to them and were reduced by the host to a minimum...Even then I tend to just turn them off.

K2

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-02-2008, 06:26 AM
no icons = teh good.

Higher immersion, higher challenge, higher fun-factor.

TheCrux
05-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Alright..my opinion as a relatively recent ( 1 year ) no-icons convert.

I do now feel they are an immersion killer...but...realistically, the whole "full real" thing is more about making the game harder than realism, due to the inherent lack of depth and movement ( for views ) a virtual pilot would experience compared to a real one.

I had to learn at my own pace. I've had some attempt to convert me "cold turkey" after 2.5 years of the easy stuff ( offline only, no CEM, WW view, icons ) and it didn't work out. Too much too soon...a disaster...and I wasn't having fun at all. I had to gradually wean myself away piecemeal. I can't remember any specific point when it "hit" me, but sure enough I got to the point where I preferred full-real over all else. It should be noted though that concurrently with this I received formal training at an online virtual flight school ( JO ) where the effect for me was finally learning to actually fly , plus navigate, take-off and land etc, and not merely treat this as a mindless "shoot-em-up" game. A catalyst of sorts I guess.

cptvanier
05-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Bearcat wrote:

and I still use icons.. albeit very tight icons... F set to .8 E set to .7

What does this mean exactly and how do you set it?

JSG72
05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Have never, flown Icons since inception.

However I do use Maps with Icons.

Could this not be used in Nightfighter senarios?. I have never heard anyone mention it.

SeaFireLIV
05-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by JSG72:
Have never, flown Icons since inception.

However I do use Maps with Icons.

Could this not be used in Nightfighter senarios?. I have never heard anyone mention it.

That`s actually an interesting idea...

JSG72
05-04-2008, 06:38 PM
I often use this technique to Seek out enemy aircraft that are not in the vicinity.

The Idea of using it in a Nightfighter scenario seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

As with the earlier radars or with ground control.They would only relay direction and not altitude.