PDA

View Full Version : Snow and Fog

BurningGeneral
12-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Hello again,
does someone have an idea about how Aztec put this kind of snow on his map "Gold Rush"?
And how can I create some close fog?
Thanks for help!

seir
12-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Fog is made in VarList. Once again check Alex's SP LD Tutorials to get how to do it.

Snow is made from FX I think. Aztec maybe made the snow with custom FX. I can't check it without map source files...

BurningGeneral
12-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks! Sry but I just didn't had the time to watch all the tutorials by now.

Groucho2
12-15-2009, 02:13 PM
I was wondering how the snow was made as well. Aztec if you read this would you enlighten us on how you created the custom FX for the snow?

Thanks!

seir
12-16-2009, 08:29 AM
I checked that map (.pak file) and as I see he made a custom terrain material (goldrush_terrain.mat) and snow terrain texture (goldrush_snow.dds).

Alex already told that in his tutorials. All O can see is that noone watched them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

BurningGeneral
12-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Well, I have to say, you're right in a way and Alex sure spent a lot of time on the tutorials.
But most of our questions are special cases, so you have to change other parameters than shown in the turorial and often that's the problem.
It's not that we don't dignify his work, but it's often faster to ask a special question and get a suitable answer than watch a tutorial and have to transfer it on your special case.
I think these tutorials are the fundament of working with blender, but we're all amateurs, so we need some time to get into the work with the editor.
According to that, thanks for your patience.

shakedown2009
01-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Hi seir

I am a little confused! After watching the Brush Tool tutorial from Alex it also looked like I can set a custom made texture to one of the rgb channels and then painting the mask to delete or reveal it. This is not what Alex did but it looked like it was possible. Is this what you are referring to in your above post? I tried this but I cant get it to work. Also on the WOLD Site, just after this tutorial someone actually asks Alex if you can use a custom Texture on your map....and Alex said that he does not think it is possible to paint with custom textures....so if you are able to create a custom texture....is there a specific naming convention, Location etc. you need to place it....and where do you assign it in the editor to use it. I tried assigning it in the varlist by replacing one the DefaultTexture.dds with <mymapname>_<mytexture>.dds(in the blue channel). Then painted with the blue channel in my mask....but nothing seems to happen. If I am way of the mark I am sorry....but it does seem like there is conflicting information about this. Cheers

seir
01-11-2010, 07:37 AM
You need to create custom MTT file (Terrain Material) file. Go to "Level Settings > Terran" and check where is your current MTT file. Copy this files to your map dir and rename them to "<mapname>*.mtt", open them and replace texture names. Your texture DDS files should be also in map dir to make it sure that they will be included in PAK file. Now go to "Level Settings > Terrain" and replace old MTT files with new custom ones. Apply, save level and reload ChromED. Changes should be changed. If it's still not as you want, make sure that you have the same texture names in your VarList ("<mapname>.scr").

This is a engine problem. MTT files overrides settings from VarList if MTT file have terrain fields. If you'll delete that fields from MTT file (only from custom file!) then the terrain settings will be taken from VarList.

I hope you understand that. If not, feel free to ask http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EDIT:
I'm sure that you can use alpha (A) and green (G) channel but this might be mixed by engine. You need to experiment to replace textures properly.

Actually this is the way to make snow on level.

shakedown2009
01-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanx for that explanation seir! Got it working... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

seir
01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Great, good that I could help. I didn't understand the question at the first post, I didn't remember what's all about that snow on that map http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif